Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Power Steering
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nickdisco

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Power Steering

Searched back to the first page (16) on faults and fixes trying to find if this issue is replicated but cant seem to find it.

Basically, 3.0TDV6 D4 - Power steering pipes have corroded and split. Broke down last Saturday requiring recovery.

Got home to find LRparts and Advanced Factors don't sell the power steering pipes separately and they only come with the rack. BUT I did manage to find another company (powersteeringstore) or something that sold the pipes.

So I ordered them hoping it wouldnt be too much of a pain of a job. However, seems like I cannot for the life of me get the nuts on the fittings off from the rack. The size is a 7/16ths but they have started to round and I've managed to fit an 11mm spanner on which started to round. You cant use a socket or ring spanner as the pipe is in the way.

I decided to cut the split pipe off so as to use a ring spanner but even still no avail. Theres no room to knock a socket on either.

So I've now arranged for recovery to my Friends local garage to hopefully either try it or remove the rack and try replacing the pipes. If they can't replace the pipes it'll be either a new rack or a reconditioned one. Has anyone used a reconditioned one before?

Thanks

Post #185089824th Aug 2017 11:01 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

First off welcome to the site

If you have cut the pipe to gain better access can you use a size sided ratchet spanner to hopefully stop them rounding further. Other thought is to try tightening first to break the seal then undo

If you end up going for a rack just bear in mind in the past these have been on back order from LR
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #185090425th Aug 2017 12:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nickdisco

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Hi, Thanks, I used to be on the site but no longer have access to that email address to login etc.

I'm probably going to take the rack off tomorrow and use some Irwin bolt removers to hopefully take out the remaining fittings and re insert the new ones.

If I have to get a rack, there are a few with 3 years warranty on refurbished racks for around £300

Post #185113925th Aug 2017 6:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >