Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Premium Fuels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Grianaig

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I only use super diesel usually Shell V Power. I reckon on about another couple of mpg. That doesn’t interest me so much as the car seeming smoother and quieter. I understand that the additives and detergents prevent long term problems developing. Honest John on the web recommends superfuels for all cars. If you worry about mpg in a D4 you are in the wrong car. A couple of years ago up north I couldn’t easily get super diesel and the smoothness and response suffered over about 1500 miles b
 2014 MY Discovery XS Indus Silver. Sadly gone. Second last LR of forty eight years continuous ownership.  
Post #19345638th Apr 2018 11:18 am
g-dog-s

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

D4 has never been abroad & has been fed V Power from new when available which has been most of the time.

I think it does some good and the Shell Drivers Club helps a bit so I continue to buy it.

Highlands of Scotland were a challenge but in the last couple of years NW Skye to Aberdeen is possible on VPower if you know where to find it and don't rely on the LR satnav POI...

Gratuitous pics.. 1st one is an A road....

Post #19347078th Apr 2018 9:31 pm
XXV

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

[quote="Scott #55"]I try to use Shell V-Power. There is a slight improvement on the MPG reported by the dash - I know it’s not that accurate but I’ve assumed that the error will be the same, whatever the fuel type.

My brother (who likes his cars fast and sporty, not big and dirty) will avoid supermarket fuel like the plague. He had an issue with soot deposits (or some such) in his engine and was told by the mechanics that the problem was caused by that type of fuel. I’ve got no idea if it’s right, but it adds to the anecdotal lore.

You can tell your brother the mechanic was talking Censored Being involved in the industry... 90%-95% of all your petrol / diesel that gets put into road tankers for delivery to all the garages / leading brands and supermarkets, all comes out of the one massive tank that has been blended / sampled and tested ( In a lab using lab engines and must conform to the minimum 95Ron and diesel equivalent).

Do you honestly think that any brand selling Petrol / Diesel all have their own Refineries?

Post #19347339th Apr 2018 2:58 am
Dave T

England 

I never notice any difference whatsoever. Cars are designed to run on fuel all over the world, is our supernarkeypt fuel worse than than anywhere else?
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #19347379th Apr 2018 7:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TheWhippet

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

I tend to keep a log of my fill ups and where I filled, additives etc...

To date, without exception, in my 2 x Discovery TD5, Nissan Navara and now the D4 the best combination that returns the best mpg has been Tesco fuel with 2SO added.

I also get complimented on the low emissions at MOT time!

Due to the fact that I work all over the place I cannot guarantee what fuel I'll be putting in and generally fill up when needed at the nearest filling station. I try and carry a small bottle with 350ml of 2SO to add at any fill up. Over the past few years I've been able to ascertain the best combination for my vehicles and driving style, but consistently the worse performing is regular Shell Diesel and by almost 2 MPG.

Obviously these figures only look at the mpg and not other factors and it maybe that my driving style has something to add to it. But these figures have been consistent across a number of vehicles.

At the moment I'm able to get access to CostCo fuel so will be interesting to see how this performs as I believe this is also a premium fuel.
 Tony

Post #19347399th Apr 2018 7:25 am
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

[quote="XXV"]
Scott #55 wrote:
I try to use Shell V-Power. There is a slight improvement on the MPG reported by the dash - I know it’s not that accurate but I’ve assumed that the error will be the same, whatever the fuel type.

My brother (who likes his cars fast and sporty, not big and dirty) will avoid supermarket fuel like the plague. He had an issue with soot deposits (or some such) in his engine and was told by the mechanics that the problem was caused by that type of fuel. I’ve got no idea if it’s right, but it adds to the anecdotal lore.

You can tell your brother the mechanic was talking Censored Being involved in the industry... 90%-95% of all your petrol / diesel that gets put into road tankers for delivery to all the garages / leading brands and supermarkets, all comes out of the one massive tank that has been blended / sampled and tested ( In a lab using lab engines and must conform to the minimum 95Ron and diesel equivalent).

Do you honestly think that any brand selling Petrol / Diesel all have their own Refineries?

No, I don't think that each fuel company has its own mini Grangemouth.... Very Happy But I do know that my fuel consumption increases a bit when using supermarket fuel.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #19347429th Apr 2018 7:40 am
Stevepd

United Kingdom 

so at what point does the fuel become branded, as in when are the additional blends added to make it their own (super etc...). Surely not in the tankers themselves?.

Somebody must know this secret squirrel process.

Steve.

Post #19347749th Apr 2018 9:32 am
xcentric

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Quoting my friendly secret squirrel:

"It really depends. In the UK, additives are normally added into the truck
compartments at the terminal while loading the truck and then one (or more)
compartment is loaded into a retail site. This allows a truck to go to
different sites. I believe the process is the same in most western
countries."

Post #19348309th Apr 2018 1:24 pm
sbatchel

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I saw a wheeler dealer episode once where Ed hooked up a fancy diesel fuel system cleaner that squirted detergent through the system, cleaning it all up and getting the engine running much smoother. But he then said that a tank additive such as Wynns diesel treatment would do nearly as good a job but over a longer timescale. I had a rough running short journey XC90 at the time, so decided to go extreme on the additive. It worked wonders. But I then read that most of the posh fuels only contain these kinds of things anyway. After a little Top Gear maths I figured it was cheaper to get a tank of posh diesel every 5 fillups or so than buy the additive separately. So that’s what I do with my Disco. Don’t notice any difference on fuel economy, but notice an improvement in smoothness especially if I time it right with a long run after a period of short journeys.

Post #193972325th Apr 2018 10:02 pm
Philip1972

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Can't say I notice any difference in the D4, but the wifes Merc E350 CDi its a huge difference. Not the MPG as we never really check that, but just the noise of the engine.

Much quieter on super stuff, so we use that in her car.

Post #193976526th Apr 2018 7:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >