Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Price of a new headlight - help !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Price of a new headlight - help !

My Disco 3 is at the dealer getting new tyres fitted and they have just rung me to say the headlight unit is cracked and needs replacing. I had noticed that the thin plastic outer face of the nearside headlight was cracked but hadn't thought much about it. They want £390 plus VAT to replace it. That is virtually all the cost of the part. This is a standard bi-xenon and not the adaptive version. The price is outrageous. Would be very grateful if anyone can suggest an alternative source of replacement light.......or I'll have to cancel Christmas !
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #2831917th Nov 2005 2:04 pm
BN

England 
Re: Price of a new headlight - help !

Smarticus wrote:
My Disco 3 is at the dealer getting new tyres fitted and they have just rung me to say the headlight unit is cracked and needs replacing. I had noticed that the thin plastic outer face of the nearside headlight was cracked but hadn't thought much about it. They want £390 plus VAT to replace it. That is virtually all the cost of the part. This is a standard bi-xenon and not the adaptive version. The price is outrageous. Would be very grateful if anyone can suggest an alternative source of replacement light.......or I'll have to cancel Christmas !

If it is not badly split, then any professional plastics company can weld it for you, virtually invisibly. I have been using some special bits from a local company and they gave me some clear chemical that is amasing.

Post #2832117th Nov 2005 2:15 pm
Pelyma

England 

They have been coming up on ebay regularly - maybe Dom has one?
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #2832317th Nov 2005 2:16 pm
Smarticus

Hurray, Christmas is back on ! Razz

Found a Discovery 3 headlight unit, passenger side for £65 on Ebay. That is a saving of over £300 from the dealer supplied item.

Still a bit bemused about :

a). what a pathetic thin piece of plastic makes up the front of the headlight. I had assumed that plastic was an extra piece of protection, not the actual front of the lamp unit itself Surprised
b.) what a totally stupid price the dealer wanted at £390. The parts department at the dealer were embarrassed themselves about the asking price. Embarassed
c.) where the item on Ebay actually comes from Confused

First time I've used Ebay as well and can now see the attraction .......
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #2915222nd Nov 2005 9:55 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Smarticus wrote:
Hurray, Christmas is back on ! Razz

Found a Discovery 3 headlight unit, passenger side for £65 on Ebay. That is a saving of over £300 from the dealer supplied item.

Still a bit bemused about :

a). what a pathetic thin piece of plastic makes up the front of the headlight. I had assumed that plastic was an extra piece of protection, not the actual front of the lamp unit itself Surprised
b.) what a totally stupid price the dealer wanted at £390. The parts department at the dealer were embarrassed themselves about the asking price. Embarassed
c.) where the item on Ebay actually comes from Confused

a) Yes very flimsy, note the clear protectors that seem to e available on the Aussie section, maybe they are necessary?

b) Rip off, absolutely joking at that price. No wonder our insurance is so steep

c) Don't ask, the insurance will pay Wink

Post #2915422nd Nov 2005 10:10 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nice one Smartie... well done.

And that price for the Xenon unit ? Maybe its come from the D3 spillage on the M1 today ??

Post #2915922nd Nov 2005 10:32 pm
Dan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Smarticus wrote:

Are you sure that's a xenon unit? The only single ones I have seen on ebay have been halogens... I know Cliff H has been looking for some xenons for a while.

Post #2916522nd Nov 2005 10:41 pm
Smarticus

OK - hold Christmas ......

The one on Ebay is a halogen unit - is that the wrong one ??? I have a TDV6 S model (like you ?) and I don't know whether I have halogen or xenon units as standard. Even if I have Xenon now (which I dont think I have as there is no "blue tint") and it is a halogen unit I am buying, could I not simply swap into it the guts of the unit I am replacing ? Other than a large crack in the front lense everything else on my current unit is still functioning.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #2917122nd Nov 2005 11:09 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

if you have a model year 05 'S' then you have Xenon's if 06 MY you have halogens. Mixing them would be weird... you'd see the difference.

Blue tint is noticeable by on-coming traffic. As the driver you see night turned into day and a very white light.

A Xenon bulb is very pricey and the clever ones here would know if you can just change the bulb in your low priced Ebay sourced halogen unit... if so, result and hats off you have a goodly priced Xenon unit again.

Advice here for Smartie would be welcomed by him I'm sure.

Post #2917322nd Nov 2005 11:18 pm
gilmore

England 

Does anyone know if you can but headlamp protectors for the D3. I don't mean metal grids that stamp a nice design into pedestrian's bodies. I mean those clear plastic covers that go over a cars headlamps. I used to have a pair on my previous Volvo estate. They were meant to protect against flying stones etc.
regs
rob

Post #3010628th Nov 2005 10:37 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

gilmorr wrote:
Does anyone know if you can but headlamp protectors for the D3. I don't mean metal grids that stamp a nice design into pedestrian's bodies. I mean those clear plastic covers that go over a cars headlamps. I used to have a pair on my previous Volvo estate. They were meant to protect against flying stones etc.
regs
rob

yes you can, a few on here have done it do a search for protector and it should come up trumps Wink
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #3011628th Nov 2005 11:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
vito

I recently noticed water condensation inside the lower part of the front headlights clear plastic (in both of them, in the low “silver” part of the headlight).

I took the car twice to the dealer and he told me there is a recall for this problem. They re-sealed the headlights twice already, but the problem persists in one of the headlight. The dealer said that they had to try this extra sealing, and if it did not worked, the entire unit will be replaced.

I wonder if anyone suffered the same problem, or had notice of this recall procedure. I wonder also if the re-sealed unit will later suffer from the previous water leaking.

thanks for the replies, Vito

Post #3493528th Dec 2005 9:55 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Gilmorr, take a look at this thread for headlamp protectors
 The End  
Post #3493628th Dec 2005 10:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >