Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Privacy Glass - bubbly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
TheBoyes

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

disco - agre totally, on my invoice it states Privacy Glass under factory fitted options.....not sure the "sellotape" justifies this and the £350 price! Laughing

Still not heard from the dealers so suppose I better prepare my scud for first thing in the morning. Evil or Very Mad

All this talk of Aeros has made me quite hungry.......off to the vending machine!
 2006 TDV6 S Auto Java Black  
Post #8862226th Sep 2006 5:09 pm
disco

TheBoyes wrote:
disco - agre totally, on my invoice it states Privacy Glass under factory fitted options.....not sure the "sellotape" justifies this and the £350 price! Laughing

Still not heard from the dealers so suppose I better prepare my scud for first thing in the morning. Evil or Very Mad

All this talk of Aeros has made me quite hungry.......off to the vending machine!

Just looked in the price list and £350 is the stated price of the privacy glass, so it is not unreasonable to argue that "genuine Landrover" was what you ordered. If it is listed under factory fitted options on all your paperwork then they have not provided what you ordered.

Possible resolutions?

(1) Make them give you a new car.

(2) Give you your money back for the option £350.

(3) Give you compensation in exchange for accepting the car that you have. to me, £2k feels right.

I would push for option 1 or 3. Depends if you can live with the bubble spotting. I would rather count them in Champagne! or Aero, or both.

Good luck!

Post #8867126th Sep 2006 8:01 pm
TheBoyes

Well......the plot thickens!

I spoke to the dealers on my way home from work (least PTI works fine......my other "factory fitted option"!!)

On my original order invoice I was charged £297.87 for Privacy Glass which, once VAT is added, totals £350 as per the official Land Rover Price Guide.

On my final invoice (as things changed that I was aware of such as no powerfold mirrors) I have been charged £350 before VAT for Privacy Glass.

It has been explained to me that apparently I knew that this happend as I had agreed to having dealer fit Privacy Glass as an after delivery option (don't remember this).
On my final invoice is still states Privacy Glass under Factory Fitted Options / Accessories.

I am sure that Privacy Glass does not mean "tinted windows" which is what I have. Plus if I knew I was having film put on the windows then I would have checked them at delivery (as I did when I had my last car "tinted"........a much better/cheper job btw and on a much cheaper car), rather than assuming that glass wouldn't need checking as its pretty standard stuff!

The most annoying thing about this new "revelation" is that I have actually paid more for tinted windows than factory fitted Privacy Glass.

Will update tomorrow after I have discussed the matter further with the dealer and his manager!

Still think the car is great.......just wearing out the rear wiper blade as I keep thinking there's water on the window Laughing
Post #8870126th Sep 2006 8:59 pm
blueanchorinn
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Had Disco 2 done with tinted film and took it back a few days later with 'bubbles' to be told they would 'dry out' I left very unconvinced, thinking I will be back, but they did disappear. They did scratch though which is why I now have factory fit, and they are cheaper !! Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.
 Pot Noodle Challenge Winner 2011
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person 

Post #8870926th Sep 2006 9:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've got tints in my D3 instead of privacy glass. I wanted film so I could have the boot much darker than privacy glass, for extra security (I don't want anyone seeing what I have in the boot!). The film got fitted at the dealer and I saw the guy do some of it. It took him a long time. There are (or where) no bubbles in it whatsoever. It's a very good job.

If I was you, I would get your dealer to get it done again. I've seen many dealers sell D3s and RRS with privacy glass, when it is actually film. I think you'll be lucky to get anything more from your dealer, apart from a redo to fix the bubbling.
 Matt  
Post #8871126th Sep 2006 9:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NICKNICK

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Had after-market tints at £250 + VAT at a place in Chelmsford recomended here.
V good and reassured to see 2 brand new V12 BMW 7 series being done. I think car looks better (i.e per LR brochure), is cooler in summer and also means we do not need blinds for the children.

However if I had ticked the privacy glass option box when ordering new from LR and ended up with bubbled film I would have been seriously p****d!

Post #8871426th Sep 2006 9:34 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

TheBoyes wrote:
Well......the plot thickens!

I spoke to the dealers on my way home from work (least PTI works fine......my other "factory fitted option"!!)

On my original order invoice I was charged £297.87 for Privacy Glass which, once VAT is added, totals £350 as per the official Land Rover Price Guide.

On my final invoice (as things changed that I was aware of such as no powerfold mirrors) I have been charged £350 before VAT for Privacy Glass.

It has been explained to me that apparently I knew that this happend as I had agreed to having dealer fit Privacy Glass as an after delivery option (don't remember this).
On my final invoice is still states Privacy Glass under Factory Fitted Options / Accessories.

I am sure that Privacy Glass does not mean "tinted windows" which is what I have. Plus if I knew I was having film put on the windows then I would have checked them at delivery (as I did when I had my last car "tinted"........a much better/cheper job btw and on a much cheaper car), rather than assuming that glass wouldn't need checking as its pretty standard stuff!

The most annoying thing about this new "revelation" is that I have actually paid more for tinted windows than factory fitted Privacy Glass.

Laughing

The paperwork says you have paid for dealer fitted privacy glass. Dealer has done after market which is not what they have charged you for nor what you asked for. They can say what they like but the hard evidence you have means they have painted themselves into a corner by overcharging for the film. I suggest you mention legal action and see if their attitude changes. What they have done is frauldulant, you did not ask for or permit them to put non- factory privacy glass to the vehicle. The vehicle they supplied is not what was ordered nor what they have charged you for.
Legally you are in a very good position, concider what solution will be acceptable to you.
Discos suggestions are good

Disco wrote:
Just looked in the price list and £350 is the stated price of the privacy glass, so it is not unreasonable to argue that "genuine Landrover" was what you ordered. If it is listed under factory fitted options on all your paperwork then they have not provided what you ordered.

Possible resolutions?

(1) Make them give you a new car.

(2) Give you your money back for the option £350.

(3) Give you compensation in exchange for accepting the car that you have. to me, £2k feels right.

I would push for option 1 or 3. Depends if you can live with the bubble spotting. I would rather count them in Champagne! or Aero, or both.

Good luck!

I would agree start with 1 and work back to 3.
It sounds like you are in a strong position but check all the paperwork in case they have an out somewhere. Surprised
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8879226th Sep 2006 11:53 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Or you could say "Sort it or I will drive it through your showroom window" Wink
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #8879527th Sep 2006 12:20 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Laughing Laughing Then they'll have lots more glass to replace Razz
 The End  
Post #8879627th Sep 2006 12:21 am
disco

TheBoyes wrote:

Will update tomorrow after I have discussed the matter further with the dealer and his manager!

Laughing

Any update on this?

Post #908563rd Oct 2006 9:20 pm
aitchy

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

my replacement D3 has film not factory tint as per the original. i only noticed it when therear hatch window got scratched. Dealer was cool and agreed that the rplacement HSE had been brought up to spec with film to allow a quick replacement car to be made available. we then agreed compensation by way of tow bar and electrics FOC and all the film to be replaced witha "quality" effort again FOC. i am Ok with this if the final results are more satisfactoy. be nice it pays dividends.
 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue and still smiling  
Post #910564th Oct 2006 2:51 pm
lr1

United Kingdom 

Take the car back an ask for a replacement. You wanted Factory Fitted Privacy glass and this is what it says in your invoice 'Privacy Glass under Factory Fitted Options / Accessories.' What you got was stick on cellotape, not acceptable.

This is a breech of contract on their part, contact landrover direct at:

the Land Rover Customer Service Centre on:
08705 000 500.

Or write to:
Customer Relationship Centre
Abbey Road
Whitley
Coventry
CV3 4LH

Tell them what the dealer has done. Tell both the dealer and customer services that the matter better be resolved or you will take direct legal action against dealer and landrover.

If they have any sense they will sort it out.

Post #911104th Oct 2006 4:42 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

aitchy wrote:
my replacement D3 has film not factory tint as per the original. i only noticed it when therear hatch window got scratched. Dealer was cool and agreed that the rplacement HSE had been brought up to spec with film to allow a quick replacement car to be made available. we then agreed compensation by way of tow bar and electrics FOC and all the film to be replaced witha "quality" effort again FOC. i am Ok with this if the final results are more satisfactoy. be nice it pays dividends.

Excellent story ...yes it does pay to be nice ...always initially anyway ...you have ended up with a satifactory solution by gaining other bits you wanted.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #911154th Oct 2006 4:53 pm
TheBoyes

Hi all

Sorry for the delay in letting you know whats been happening but I have been away (again!).

After numerous too-ing and fro-ing with the dealership sales manager the car is going in this week (Tuesday I think) for the job to be corrected.
This consists of a re-film of the car to which I have to be totally satisfied with otherwise they will take the car back and give me a full refund of what I paid.
As far as not getting what I have paid for goes I have agreed a compensation package (basically free servicing - for how long is still to be agreed).

Hopefully by the end of this week the only issue, with what otherwise is a fantastic car, will be a thing of the past!

I know some of you may think that i have let the dealers off lightly with this but the prospect of returning the car and having to wait again for delivery of another new car (especially with winter fast approaching) was the main reason for me giving the dealers another chance. To their credit they have been quite agreeable in the whole discussion, once it was referred to the manager, and I didn't really have to lose my rag with them!

So I'll let you know how the car comes back later this week and hopefully the windows will resemble less of an aero bar and more like they should!

Cheers for all your comments on this and must say what a great site this is.

And remember everybody make sure you look round those "huge" A pillars every now and then, you never know what you might find!!!!! Wink
Post #921648th Oct 2006 10:18 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
2 PENCE WORTH

First post so hello all...

Well first off my brother runs his own company doing this <commercial>

And I have to say there is window tinting and there is window tinting. In my honest opinion, he gets a better result that the factory glass. There are never any bubbles and the stuff is as tough as nails + you can have a legal tint on the front door glass to blend the difference unlike factory. tint / No tint.

Seems to me that you got a good deal from the dealer. However I think there is another reason behind the mistake. If a dealer sells Factory privacy glass there is no real extra bonus for the sales guy. If they Dealer fit the option, they pay the tinting guy £250 ish and charge you £350 ish... £100 in the bonus pot. Just a thought !

My 07 GS will be having the treatment when it arrives next week !!!!

Post #9535018th Oct 2006 10:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >