Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Problems already - satnav (and timed climate)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
drtaylor1977

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Problems already - satnav (and timed climate)

Had the D4 exactly 1 week and the joys of ownership have already started!

Got in this morning and the satnav screen will not tun on, it just stays black. However, when I press the touchscreen it does beep as if the buttons are still there and working but just no image on the screen.

Has anyone had this and is there a quick fix? Or do I have to book it in under the warranty?

In addition the timed climate won't come on as it says insufficient battery power. I assume I just need to by a charger and give it a decent charge, agreed?

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Post #98943214th Oct 2012 12:33 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Have you checked the fuese for the screen ?

Post #98944014th Oct 2012 12:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drtaylor1977

Yep, and have the scrapes down my thumb to prove it. Good shout though but unfortunately the fuse was fine.

Any more ideas anyone please?

Post #98944914th Oct 2012 1:09 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Is yours a 2012 D4 or earlier? On the earlier models there was a lot of people reported problems with the timed climate and battery warning and I had this copied and pasted from the forum in case the problem arose with my earlier D4. It never did and haven't had any problems with my 2012 D4

Reference SSM54517
Models New Range Rover
Discovery 4
Range Rover Sport

Title Fuel Fired Burning heater/ Battery Monitoring System 11/12MY
Category Electrical
Last modified 21-Dec-2011 00:00:00
Symptom 205000 Electrical Accessories
Content Issue: A customer may report that the Fuel Fired Burning Heater (FFBH) appears to operate for a shorter than expected cycle time (approximately 5 to 10 minutes) before the FFBH is switched off.

Cause: The concern may be as a result of the Battery Monitoring System (BMS) strategy for battery condition/ load detection.

Action: A new level BMS has recently been introduced at Manufacturing for the following model lines:

Range Rover VIN CA371169 onwards
Range Rover Sport LHD VIN CA731475 onwards
Range Rover Sport RHD VIN CA731269 onwards
Discovery 4/ LR4 LHD VIN CA608658 onwards
Discovery 4/ LR4 RHD VIN CA608504 onwards

Check the operation of the Fuel Fired Burning Heater using Symptom Driven Diagnostics (SDD). If the FFBH appears to be functioning correctly during SDD interrogation, it is likely that the BMS strategy is the cause of the concern and the BMS will require replacement.
If the FFBH does not appear to operate correctly during SDD interrogation, continue with diagnosis of the FFBH as guided by SDD.

Land Rover are currently in the process of obtaining new components for stock at Caterpillar with an anticipated date of arrival of 22nd December 2011.

The new part numbers are:
Range Rover - LR037872
Range Rover Sport/ Discovery 4/ LR4 Left Hand Drive - LR037867
Range Rover Sport/ Discovery 4/ LR4 Right Hand Drive - LR037862

Note: The BMS LIN connection (flylead) should not be disconnected as this will cause a red warning to appear on the Instrument Pack and the system will enter a default charging strategy.
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #98945014th Oct 2012 1:23 pm
drtaylor1977

That's fantastic, thanks hairy Dan.

My D4 though is a Sep '11 build and the VIN is prior to those listed. Still, I'll mention this if I take it in under he warranty.

Thanks again.

Dave

Post #98945214th Oct 2012 1:30 pm
Blue62

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I had this problem with my MY12 (which I took delivery of last December) and had to have a new screen fitted. LR had to send out an engineer to sanction the work because of the cost, which meant a few days in the workshop, but save for them not screwing the dash back properly (did it myself), it's been fine since. I occasionally get the battery warning, but don't think the two are related.

Post #98982215th Oct 2012 11:04 am
drtaylor1977

Thanks Blue62,

I now have it booked in for Thursday but unfortunately they don't have a courtesy car they can give me so I hope it is a bit quicker than your experience.

Thanks again for the info though.

Post #98999715th Oct 2012 7:59 pm
Q86ARR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Could be worth a call to your local dealer regarding service action Q210:

LA596988 – LA618355

Following an incomplete Timed Climate event the HLDF Touch Screen does not illuminate
affecting a number of vehicles within the above mentioned VIN range.

In addition, the fuel fired heater overheat protection can cut in too early and lock out the
operation of the fuel fired heater. At extreme low temperature the fuel fired heater only warms
the engine, not the cabin.

Post #99191920th Oct 2012 3:56 pm
Dinsdale

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I've had this problem with my MY12. Screen went black after several failed timed-remote attempts last winter, most of which didn't work even though it was -50degrees!! It then throws all its toys out of its pram and shuts down the whole infotainment screen.

LRA fixed it then with a "battery-terminals-off" reboot. It never happened again as I stopped using timed remote then as my dealer said it was a known problem but no fix available yet (where have we heard that before Question )

I've just had the software fix after some LR techies came re a surround-camera fault (whole module replaced) and suggested the software upgrade too. BUT hasn't been cold enough yet in sunny Surrey to give it a try.

It seems it might be linked to an oversensative battery voltage monitoring module which will always giving prefernce to there being enough voltage in the battery to start the car, and will thus will not allow the 20 minutes or so of battery powered heater blower use and vent openings etc to wam the cabin. My FBH always worked to preheat the engine though just never progressed to opeing vents and blowing into the interior. Interestingly though I don't think they've changed my BVM, unless that was done with a quick fix which they tried back in March.

Hope that helps and I will report back when I get chance to test the timed remote etc.

Clive
 If it don't fit the third time - try a bigger hammer  
Post #99359524th Oct 2012 2:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >