Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Prospective Discovery 3 owner....with some questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
disco-maybe?

Prospective Discovery 3 owner....with some questions

Hello Disco 3 people,

I am thinking of purchasing a Disco 3 TDV6 HSE (or SE manual), and have some questions:
What problems are most common?
What is the build quality like? I currently have an audi allroad, which has very high build quality.
What is the best ecu chip upgrade?
If you get the auto boosted, does it improve the fuel economy?
Which is better, auto or manual?
Which is better SE, or HSE?

Thanks for all your help!

Post #30462nd May 2005 9:28 pm
jzk

United States 

What problems are most common?
- I have had nonsense electronic faults that have proven to be nothing.
What is the build quality like? I currently have an audi allroad, which has very high build quality.
- I have owned Five Audis. Build quality is as good.

What is the best ecu chip upgrade?
- The only one I have heard of is www.turbochip.com
If you get the auto boosted, does it improve the fuel economy?

Which is better, auto or manual?
- I have auto. Manual is not available here. I can't see the advantage of manual. I personally would rather not deal with shifting with a clutch off road. Us beginners might tend to feather the clutch too much. With my Audi S4, I wouldn't dream of anything but manual. But I just don't see the need for manual on an LR3. In low you can start in 1, 2, or 3.

Which is better SE, or HSE?

The classification is silly ultimately, but I like my HSE. Memory seats for one. I could care less about the 19" rims but for the fact that our best shot of offroad tires is only available in 19".
 LR3 HSE
http://www.pbase.com/jzk/lr3 

Post #30472nd May 2005 10:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Hi disco-maybe what do you intend to use the D3 (LR3) for must be the first question. Re chipping, the chip that is available at the moment appears to be good, but then the V6 diesel in the UK is possible the most popular. The torque curve is what I am interested in for 'low end pulling power' and when chipped it appears to be a bit to much towards speed. I have yet to try one though. Other than the company jzk mentioned is another called Dastek and they say the will have a new chip ready for around July. It is a plug into the CPU version, that can be removed if required. Faults, there will always be faults and some will suffer more than others. I have silly faults, which are slowly getting sorted and I mean slowly.

Build quality in my opinion is not that good, but then I have had mine on a lift and been over it under it and in it.

As far as manual v automatic, that is a choice of you. I have a manual with cruise and if I drive as I am I get out of a TDV6 at least 28 mpg to 31 mpg, but if I use cruise it drops to 26 mpg to 28 mpg. Add auto and cruise, I would estimate an average of 22 mpg to 24 mpg. But there again my company teaches advanced driving, survival and economy driving to many of the worlds fuel companies, so I am different in my approach I suppose.

Post #30513rd May 2005 6:25 am
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have HSE auto, was looking at the SE but by the time Id optioned in the things I wanted it was only 2K more expensive to get the HSE. The alpine roof is nice, the stereo is excellent as is the satnav.

Id go for the auto box., you can use command shift to make it like a manual if you want to change up earlier. The gearbox adapts to your driving or if like me your towing. I would never go back to manual now.

Re economy, im running at 23mpg including towing 2.8 tonnes of boat for 200miles, off roading for a morning and town driving.

Build quality is fine on my car.

I had a Jeremy Fern upgrade on my D2 which was great. Economy did suffer because I used it. It is not a chip upgrade but a change of the mapping in the ECU what I like was he stored your old mapping so you coule get it put back at any time.

Post #30593rd May 2005 11:16 am
Pelyma

England 

I was exactly the same, looked at the SE but ended with the HSE. My parents got a deal against a pre registered SE with upgraded Sat Nav, there is very little difference and they paid £37K and its an auto!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #30683rd May 2005 12:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >