Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Puncture advice (update)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
ally

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Puncture advice (update)

I've had a slow puncture on my D3 for a couple of months now. It needs topping up every couple of weeks by about 10 psi. Today however I reminded myself its really not safe so of I went to rapid fit to have it sorted. I've used them before when my Focus RS had a nail through a Michelin pilot and they sorted it and charged me £5. Today however same bloke, but was told tyre had a small puncture that was to close to the side wall to fix, and new Goodyear was £187. Now i don't really find it a problem putting air in it every couple of weeks so I'm tempted just to leave it as the tyres only half worn. My other option is a bloke I work with has a company/franchise called puncture seal (http://www.punctureseal.co.uk/). I was thinking of asking him to seal it and would cost around £20.

Last edited by ally on 29th Jan 2006 6:15 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #3965227th Jan 2006 10:48 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Personally (no pun intended) I would get a new tyre. If yours are looking like low tread all round, do the lot.

Its winter and you may need all the tread you can get at any moment.

Or... put the spare on, have the sealing done on the slow puncture tyre (use as spare) and hope it stays inflated.

Either way remember tyres are critical on any vehicle, more so on a 2.7 tonne monster that will take pot holes without you noticing.

-s

Post #3965527th Jan 2006 10:53 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

most fast-fit places are now using the Quik Fit business model - i.e. everyone is on a profit share (except you) therefore the more they sell, the more pies and warm beer they can buy on a saturday afternoon Rolling Eyes

Post #3965627th Jan 2006 10:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Ally

When your doing 90 on the M-way and the tyre demon Evil or Very Mad finds your weak spot you will, whilst you spin like a ballerina down the carriageway, have wished that you spent more than a couple of quid on one of the 4 most important safety devices fitted on the vehicle. If there is any doubt that the tyre is compromised - get a new one.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #3966527th Jan 2006 11:27 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

EXACTLY !

Post #3966827th Jan 2006 11:41 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I do not wish to be a doomsday soothsayer, however some of the reaction to your original post, Ally, is troublesome.

The point has rightly been made that your four tyres are the only thing that keeps you and your 2.7 tonne monster on the straight and narrow.

The point that has not been made is that in the event that, and God forbid it does not happen, having ignored the advice of the tyre fitting professionals, you chose to implement a "seal" repair in an area of the tyre that should not be repaired under the British Standard that covers tyre repairs and subsequently suffered a tyre failure that resulted in a serious collision with another vehicle or person, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that you might - in the event of a prosecution - receive a custodial sentence.

It is as simple as that. Get a new tyre. Period.

Post #3968228th Jan 2006 12:14 am
ally

The first thing Ill be doing is getting a few opinions on the tyre as 10forcash mentioned, they might just be out to make a few quid and I'll take into account the fact it was 15 minutes before shutting on a friday afternoon. Also when I asked to see the wheel I was told too late its back on the car. I'm reluctant to buy a new tyre as 19" HSE rims are on the cards if I can find some. If I'd had my tyres puncture sealed before the puncture then I wouldn't have known about it as it would have sorted itself and as the stuff meets british standards must be ok. If I do get it sealed then I'll probably use it as a spare.

One thing that does spring to mind though, is a friend who had a disco 2. Similar thing happened and he was told he had to have four new tyres as the new tyre would have a different rolling circumferance than the others and put stress on the drive trian. Is this really the case or just tyre monkeys looking for extra cash.

Post #3968428th Jan 2006 12:32 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

different by a few mm..... highway robbery IMHO
not aware of any technical reason but prepared to be enlightened Confused

Post #3968628th Jan 2006 12:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Ignore the final point, it is nonsense. No different from the effects of corners or camber on the drivetrain.

If you say that the sealant product meets British Standards, I won't dispute that - but the presence of a puncture (regardless of the sealant) in an area of the tyre that, if punctured, should not be repaired, still leaves you culpible. If you only use it for a spare, fine, but then you cannot use it all - so what use is it to you? There could also be ramifications for a subsequent owner of the car to keep in mind.

Post #3968728th Jan 2006 12:43 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thinking about the safety of the driver and passengers first and foremost, it makes sense to just change the tyre. In a 800kg Fiesta a repair might be adequate, but a 2700kg D3 is another matter.

It's peace of mind, you won't be worrying all the time whether or notyour sealed/repaired tyre is ok as you barrel along at 100mph (on the autobahn, naturally Wink)
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #3968928th Jan 2006 1:36 am
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I had a similar problem in that i had a slow puncture tI took it to a kwik fix type company who told me they could not fix it as it was over 8mm and a new tyre would be £178 + vat. I took it to a mate who looked and he said it was a large slit on the outside but he would look at it when he took the tyre off it was less than 1mm inside and he repaired it for me cost £4. When i asked why the others wouldnt fix he said naidf " no idea but maybe they just wanted to sell you a new tyre" Makes you think really

Post #3969028th Jan 2006 2:13 am
ally

Having it looked at again is the way to go I feel. Looked up a 255/60/18 (think that was the size) on etyres on the internet and they come to your door and change it for £145. £40 saved right away Very Happy . Can't help think my original quote was over priced and may be the reason why they tried to sell me the tyre.

Post #3969628th Jan 2006 9:33 am
ally

Happened to find theses babies on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...T&rd=1

They are H rated mine are V rated, will that make much of a difference as the seller says there good for 130mph, which I'll never go anywhere near.
Please remember our ebay rules, I saw them first Very Happy

Post #3969828th Jan 2006 10:21 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

When the kwik fix company is refusing to do the repair I would hope that it is purely on the basis that they are not prepared to accept the liability if the repair subsequently failed.

It is in their overall interests to recommend a new tyre not just to make a quick buck - but that they know you would not hesitate to sue their arses when things go wrong. (assuming you survived Very Happy )

' They said it would be fine m'laud.......................' MMMmmmm I don't think so !!
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #3970328th Jan 2006 11:17 am
ally

Went along to large independant tyre and exhaust dealer today who are well respected in the area. Asked them to have a look and.........£14.95 tyre sorted. They said it was in the middle of the tread and so small it was hard to find. Definatley a case of rapid fit ripping me off. They only spent 5 mins with the car and wheel wasn't even wet as though they were looking for it.

Post #3979929th Jan 2006 6:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >