Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Purchase Decision:- LR Dealer or Internet/Car Supermarket?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
draughtsman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Purchase Decision:- LR Dealer or Internet/Car Supermarket?

I would most welcome the opinions of forum members on the following purchase decision:-

I plan to purchase an 06’ model year HSE for 1st March 06 delivery.
Fortunately I have agreed the private sale of my Freelander to coincide with this timing so have no trade in to worry about.

The thing is, the best deal currently being offered by LR dealerships is nothing compared to the internet or indeed some of the ‘car supermarkets’. The difference is as much as £4500 (no small sum of money!). The cars on offer from the ‘car supermarkets’ are stated as being genuine UK vehicles with the full 3 years manufacturers’ warranty. So in theory if I end up with problems I can take it to my nearest LR dealership to resolve any defects.

What doesn’t sit well with me is the possible service I will get from the LR dealership not having purchased the vehicle from them in the first place, particularly if I am unlucky on the technical problem side of things!! As this forum has displayed the D3 is a very complex vehicle & the back up of the LR dealerships on occasions is essential, but is it worth the 4.5K

Gamble or play safe? Confused

Post #2258912th Oct 2005 10:05 am
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Before I bought my D3, I bought a Defender 110 over the internet which was an import but with full UK spec. including the 3 year warranty. When I went to my local dealers I did get a frosty reception but as I had the warranty they were (reluctantly) obliged to honour it and I did have recourse to get a problem sorted too but they did sort it without further problem or attitude. All dealerships are different so can't say how your local one would react but they do have to honour the warranty whatever - they may do this pleasantly or begrudgingly...if it was me and I could save £4500K I would do it....pm me the car supermarkets you've been looking at as I want to upgrade my D3 in the next 6 months.
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #2259012th Oct 2005 10:25 am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

From my short experience of Land Rover dealers and the service you get from them, I wouldn't hesitate in the future and get a new LR from a car supermarket or other source. It doesn't seem to make a scrap of difference if you purchased the car from the main dealer - you still get bad service.

I once imported a new Merc van from Ireland. I got very good service and warranty work from my local Merc commercial dealer near Oxford. There was never any question of them not supplying the vehicle or any mention that it was not a UK sourced van. This was also the same dealer that lost the sale in the first place.

At the end of the day, the manufacturers pay the dealers for the warranty work, so I doubt if they are bothered where the vehicle came from.
 Matt  
Post #2259112th Oct 2005 10:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Judging by the fairly uniform comments about dealers on this site, it would seem a very low priority to me. I'd rather the money off!

There are a few importers who seem keen on prices - have a look through the older posts for information. There was certainly a 'Gibraltar' supplier if you like doing these things yourself; www.igw4x4.com (based in Bolton) seems to offer keenly-priced D3 imports in all specs to order. I'm sure there are many more around.

Whatever the vehicle source, LR should be reimbursing the dealer for warranty work in exactly the same manner, so the dealer shouldn't have any issues whatsover.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #2259412th Oct 2005 11:21 am
Lysander

United Kingdom 

autoebid.co.uk offers the potential for good savings whilst still buying a new D3 from a UK franchised dealer. I'd be tempted to go down this route as it seems the best of both worlds.

Post #2259512th Oct 2005 11:29 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Lysander wrote:
autoebid.co.uk offers the potential for good savings whilst still buying a new D3 from a UK franchised dealer. I'd be tempted to go down this route as it seems the best of both worlds.

PM me if you want some information on a dealer who has supplied D3s through autoebid - in theory you could then negotiate a little further on the standard autoebid price, on the basis that they wouldn't have to pay the commission. Worth a try!

I looked at importing, but was swayed by a desparate local (ish) dealer who needed a sale and was willing to forego all his standard margin and volume discount too. If you are looking to buy so far ahead, you might not get such price promises.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #2259612th Oct 2005 11:39 am
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

my personal experience is that if you go to some of the bigger-chained dealerships that you can get quite a large discount, I was offered a new 06 HSE for under 40k by a couple of these but this would have been a stock model not built to order.

one of the things that put me off importing or buying from a distant dealer was the possibility of ending up with 'a lemon' vehicle and then all the associated extra grief if you have to reject, and that imports tend to be worth less 2nd hand.
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #2259812th Oct 2005 12:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
draughtsman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for all the feed back. Food for thought. Surprised

I am encouraged to go for the best financial deal i can find but from a well established company, be it internet or car Supermarket.
However I will go back & give my local LR dealer the chance to match the deal, but with most dealer overheads i'm sure they will find it difficult.
But I suppose if you don't ask you don't get Wink

Once again thanks for the response 8)

Post #2260012th Oct 2005 12:56 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

draughtsman wrote:
Thanks for all the feed back. Food for thought. Surprised

I am encouraged to go for the best financial deal i can find but from a well established company, be it internet or car Supermarket.
However I will go back & give my local LR dealer the chance to match the deal, but with most dealer overheads i'm sure they will find it difficult.
But I suppose if you don't ask you don't get Wink

Once again thanks for the response 8)

2 points (and apologies if there's a sound of egg-sucking)
1) if you use an internet outfit and they want a deposit, make sure it goes in an escrow or special deposit account, so it's not lost if the outfit suffers financial problems
2) give your local LR dealer and a couple of others a call. My local one was not competitive, but the one 20 miles further down the road was.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Last edited by DrLex on 12th Oct 2005 8:47 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2260212th Oct 2005 1:33 pm
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Draughteman we got ours from De Stefano's down in London. They got it from a Gib dealer. Our local dealer has worked on the car (tow bar ) and always been helpful. The fact that the sales team were useless and the parts side OK may have something to do with inter firm rivalaries. Go for the cheaper car price and enjoy, it's an awesome car! Very Happy

Post #2261812th Oct 2005 8:09 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

i purchased my d3 through a non dealer i odered exaxtly the spec what i wanted and saved money.
i have since had a few problems and have taken it to my local dealer (HUNTERS LANDROVER IN DERBY) for warrenty issues and i must say they have been fantastic i could not have wished for better service. they come to my work and collect the car and deliver it back to me nothing seems too much trouble.
i know other dealers may not be as understanding but the fact is if you buy a uk car with warrenty there isn't much they can do about it if yoy have problems. my advise is save your well earned cash and buy where you get the best deal.
cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #2265913th Oct 2005 8:44 am
Jim

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Surely it doesn't make any difference to the level of service, where you buy it from if it is a UK spec with LR warranty.

If you lived in London and got it from a local LR dealer then 6 months later moved to Glasgow, can't see the Glasgow dealer being funny with you having purchased it in London.
Other than the fact you would most likely be an incomer Wink

No dealer can presume that you have always lived in the area and that they have never seen you before and because of that treat you like a second class citizen Rolling Eyes
 Jim 

Last edited by Jim on 13th Oct 2005 9:42 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #2266313th Oct 2005 9:16 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I think the reality in all this is that the dealer will always be happy to take on a new customer - even if it the vehicle was bought elsewhere. There is always the chance they can snare you for your next purchase and, more importantly, they get to service your car...........which is where they make most of their money Wink

Post #2266413th Oct 2005 9:30 am
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Bought my first Discovery a number of years ago via a broker picking up the vehicle from an authorised LR dealer handing over a cheque on the day of collection. Local LR dealer was delighted to see me for warranty work and for services.

Bought latest Discovery at local LR dealer after much research on internet to establish possible discounts.

Post #2313514th Oct 2005 10:01 pm
richslaney

United Kingdom 2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

I bought mine through 'http://www.broombroom.com/'. Call Ashley on 0845 3455169 or 07773 335169.

They were excellent and I saved about £2.5k on my full spec Disco 3 TDV6 HSE (2006 model).

Broom Broom don't actually sell cars. You basically tell them what you want, your budget / max price and leave them to do the leg work. They will then speak to their Full UK Landrover Dealer network (or other OEMs) to search for the best deal. They only deal with proper dealers, so no warranty issues, spec issues and full finance facilities are available etc.etc.

Broom Broom will them pass all your details onto the Dealer who will then contact you and become your point of contact. The dealer will take the usual £1000 deposit and Broom Broom will take their finders fee of £350 + vat (If my memory is correct).
The deal will also include either Dealership collection or driven delivery to your home.

My D3 ended up being a 2006 car straight from the factory to Wessex Landrover in Portsmouth who PDI'd, valeted, fitted dealer accessories, A Glazed and delivered to me........

I cannot recommend Broom Broom any higher. I got the car I wanted, the full spec I wanted, full UK spec, no imports, no warranty hassles, delivered and a good price. I tried 2 local(ish) landrover dealers when trying to purchase my D3 and neither of them would offer a penny of the car even with or without finance, trade vehicle....

Give em a try. I'm glad I did !
 Regards,

Rich.

New 2006 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE (Zambezi & Ebony).

Every Factory Option Added (PTI, Adaptive Lights, Rear A/C, Rear Diff, Cool Box)

Plus:-
Stainless Side Tubes,Side Protection Mouldings
Locking Cross Bars, Stainless Kick Plates,
1st - 3rd Row Rubber Floor Mats.
A-Glaze Interior and External Protection. 

Post #2482925th Oct 2005 1:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >