Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 68 123 ... 666768>
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***

I have just had a phone call from local Dealer to say Land Rover have issued a Service action No. Q393 for them to check for loose tow hitches !!

This post has been edited by the site administration team
Title updated

Post #139159818th Dec 2014 11:32 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Further info on this

Quote:
The anticipated failure rate for this campaign is very low, as a result, limited stock has been ordered. DO NOT order parts unless a vehicle has been booked in with signs of deterioration. Not all parts are required for all vehicles.

Quote:
Related information:
This Service Action is valid for two years only. Repairs must be complete and warranty claims accepted for payment prior to the expiry date at the top of this Service Action.

Dear Colleagues

After conducting several investigations regarding excessive wear on detachable towbars used on 2005 - 2015 MY Discovery 3/4 and 2005 - 2013 MY Range Rover Sport vehicles, the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) have recommended Jaguar Land Rover issue a communication to all Discovery 3/4 and Range Rover Sport owners highlighting again the importance of using the correct towbar based on their towing needs.

If the towbar is incorrectly used, owners can experience excessive wear of the detachable tow ball. Should the signs of deterioration not be detected during the course of insertion of the tow ball, it is possible that the tow ball may detach unexpectedly.

Please make every effort to engage personally with the customer during vehicle hand-over. Ensure thorough understanding of the following points:-

The towbar should not be left attached to the vehicle when not in use.

The towbar has been stowed in its correct position, with an advisory label attached.

The Owner's Handbook supplement and the towbar label should be consulted if there are any questions as to when to stow the towbar.

Action to be taken

Jaguar Land Rover will be contacting owners of the affected vehicles as communication is required to make customers aware of the importance of using the correct towbar based on their towing needs. The condition of the tow equipment is to be inspected using a gauge special tool. A copy of the customer letter is attached for information only.

Unsold vehicles must have the handbook placed in the vehicle prior to hand-over for retail sale.

Please check DDW to ensure that the vehicle is affected by this Service Action prior to undertaking any rework action. DDW will be updated to reflect only those vehicles affected. Should you require a listing of the affected vehicles in market, please contact the Land Rover Field Actions team by email at jlrcamp@jaguarlandrover.com.

At the time of confirming a booking for vehicle repair, please ensure that all outstanding Field Service Actions are identified to ensure the correct parts are available and adequate workshop time is allocated for repairs to be completed at one visit.

Quote:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Dear

Jaguar Land Rover Limited is providing a no-charge Customer Satisfaction Programme to owners of 2005 to 2013 model year Range Rover Sport and 2005 to 2015 model year Discovery vehicles.

Reason for this programme

Jaguar Land Rover Limited has contacted us to make us aware of a potential quality concern with detachable “Quick Release” towing equipment that may be used on your vehicle. The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency have, following several investigations into excessive wear of detachable towbars used on Range Rover Sport and Discovery 3 and Discovery 4 vehicles, requested a communication be sent to all owners highlighting the importance of using the installed tow equipment correctly and to ensure the correct tow equipment is installed based on towing needs. Should the detachable towbar be incorrectly used, owners can experience premature and excessive wear. Should the signs of deterioration not be detected during the course of insertion of the tow ball, it is possible that the tow ball may detach unexpectedly. If a detachable towbar is used for towing with excessive nose loads, or for commercial towing, or the towbar is not removed when not in use, it can lead to premature and excessive wear of the detachable towbar within the rear crossmember mounting.

What your Land Rover authorised repairer will do

Inspect the condition of the tow equipment using a gauge special tool. Where the gauge indicates excessive wear, install heavy duty multi-height towbar equipment. A handbook supplement should be placed in the vehicle literature pack. The rework action will be undertaken on your vehicle at no charge to you, under the terms of this programme.

How long will it take?

The time to repair your vehicle is approximately one hour. However, due to service scheduling requirements, your vehicle may be required for a longer period of time.

What we are asking you to do

Call us or your preferred Land Rover authorised repairer without delay, quoting your Vehicle Identification Number (located at the beginning of this letter) and vehicle registration number. Ask for a service date and whether parts are in stock for Customer Satisfaction Programme. If you do not have an authorised repairer, please access www.landrover.co.uk or www.landrover.com for authorised repairer addresses, directions and contact details.

If your Land Rover authorised repairer does not have the parts in stock, they can be ordered before scheduling your service date. Parts would be expected to arrive within a week after ordering.

When you bring your vehicle in to the Land Rover authorised repairer, please show this letter to the authorised repairer. If you misplace this letter, your authorised repairer will still do the work, free of charge.

If you have concerns...

If you have trouble getting your vehicle repaired promptly and without charge, please contact your authorised repairer's Service Manager for assistance.

If you still have concerns, please contact the Jaguar Land Rover Limited Customer Relationship Centre and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

Yours sincerely

Andrew West Land Rover Customer Service Director
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #139161718th Dec 2014 12:07 pm
Numpty

England 

If one had already purchased an after market towbar due to the concerns about the wear on the fixed one but wanted to engage with this free of charge recall what should one do?

Post #139162818th Dec 2014 12:23 pm
Scarab

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Remove the fixed tow bar and take the car to be inspected as per the above.

If they find it is worthy of them fitting a fixed bar then allow them to fit it. Remove it upon getting home and flog it on eBay.

That's what I'd do anyway.

Post #139166818th Dec 2014 1:20 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

So Landrover have eventually admitted that there can be an issue, about time too Wink

Post #139167018th Dec 2014 1:21 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

If they are (rightfully) recommending that the removable tow bar be stowed properly when not in use, is it not reasonable that they could also provide that overpriced polystyrene FOC too under this bulletin? To promote it being removed and stowed in a better way? Especially if they're willing to foot the cost of a new fixed tow bar?

Mine's currently wrapped in a towel.....
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #139178618th Dec 2014 4:23 pm
Sydney

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Unnecessary quote removed

No chance of mine being stowed correctly, that cubby hole is full of various potions and lotions and a can of oil...
 De-Tango
V8 Brakes
EGRs blanked
Running boards
3 flash indicators and clock on dash
Blingy grille... 

Post #139178818th Dec 2014 4:30 pm
drout

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I was going to get one of these, am i better going with a standard fixed towbar?

Post #139179118th Dec 2014 4:30 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes, unless you only want to tow "occasionally" or need the clearance for off-roading.

If in doubt, go with the fixed one, many choose a Witter one which is cheaper than the LR one.

The ability to adjust the height may be useful too.
Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #139239219th Dec 2014 12:26 pm
MattTheTall77

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

If we have a removable tow bar do we have to wait to be contacted, or can we get in touch without a letter from a dealer? I bought my 54 disco 3 two months ago so I'm not sure if they would be in touch.

Post #139240619th Dec 2014 12:55 pm
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

"Occasional" towing. What's that then ?

I tow a caravan about 4 or 5K miles a year, mostly long distance on motorways, does that class as "occasional" ?
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #139240919th Dec 2014 1:03 pm
Scarab

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

MattTheTall77 wrote:
If we have a removable tow bar do we have to wait to be contacted, or can we get in touch without a letter from a dealer? I bought my 54 disco 3 two months ago so I'm not sure if they would be in touch.

I believe you can ring up any LR Dealer/Authorised repair centre and book it in quoting the bulletin.

Post #139241019th Dec 2014 1:10 pm
Lost for Words

D4mation wrote:
"Occasional" towing. What's that then ?

That's what we'd all like to know.

LR eventually started to say the removable ones were for "occasional use only" but never defined that. Rolling Eyes

With proper maintenance, a removable tow-bar should give many miles of use. Thumbs Up

Another benefit of the fixed one, I discovered when someone drove into the back of me on the M5 (in congestion; I was stationary) - the Disco didn't even have a scratch but the other car will have needed a new bumper, probably more. Twisted Evil
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC

Post #139242519th Dec 2014 1:47 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It probably hinges on the "removable" aspect - I would have thought that the intention is that it is removed between towing journeys and not left attached when not towing.

If that is a hassle, then you are not towing occasionally and should have a fixed bar.

Thoughts?
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #139242619th Dec 2014 1:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lost for Words

That sounds like a good basis Martin. Thumbs Up

The only issue I can see is that people can have wildly varied "hassle thresholds".

Post #139243119th Dec 2014 1:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 68 123 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >