Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Question for the well travelled out there, Vienna
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
al cope

England 
Question for the well travelled out there, Vienna

Planning a 5 day visit to Vienna in Sept, so for those who have been or know the city, what’s the “must do” recommendations. Things we already thinking about are the Spanish riding school, the opera, just sightseeing as the architecture looks great, but what else?

Cheers
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #232609910th Feb 2023 10:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

defo Schönbrunn Palace Park! IMHO much nicer than Versailles and way less smelly lol

Post #232610510th Feb 2023 10:52 am
DaveJLBI

Ireland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Heading there in April (taking a little Grand Tour flying into London, Eurostar to Paris, fly to Vienna then home to Ireland) - spending a few days in each.

We have booked a private tour of the Spanish Riding School (we are two families travelling, so works out ok) but will be interested to hear of other suggestions as well

Post #232610810th Feb 2023 11:37 am
olivierzozo

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hello,

I've been to Vienna several times and it is one of my favorite cities in the world. In addition to previous recommendations (all of which are great), I suggest visiting the Spanish riding school. You can attend the training sessions on certain mornings, so be sure to check that out.

One museum that I keep coming back to is the Museum Quarter Vienna (https://www.mqw.at/). The bars and restaurants in Vienna are generally good, but I would avoid outdoor terraces where you'll hear more English and French being spoken than German.

For pastry lovers, you won't be disappointed in Vienna. A Frenchman can attest to this! Be sure to check out Demel (https://www.demel.com/). And, don't miss Café Central (https://cafecentral.wien/en/).

Lastly, the university downtown is worth visiting for its historical significance, including the places where Sigmund Freud used to hang out.

Cheers,

Oli

Post #232611310th Feb 2023 1:09 pm
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Beautiful city! Good choice, Al

Top tip would be to spend couple of days just strolling round taking in the sights and sounds. It's very compact and you have the Tram that runs in a ring around the main area - very handy to jump on and off. Such a historical place! The croissant was invented there....dont tell the french shhhhhh!

Heeresgeschichtliches Museum/ Militray Museum has some great stuff on show - easy to get out to on tram & bus.

Lots of nice restaurants and pastry shops. Make sure you find yourself late at night standing at the Würstelstand zum Hohen Markt for beer and bratwurst from this stall. Always on my list!

One word of warning is that it used to be the case that every second shop on the main street was a lingerie store ..... if it's still like that, proceed with caution Wink
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #232613610th Feb 2023 3:50 pm
al cope

England 

Thanks everyone, keep em coming 👍

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #232614310th Feb 2023 4:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Geneva71

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I usually just lurk here, but my niece asked me the same question recently!

Take the 1 & 2 Trams, they go around the Ringstrasse and you will see the key buildings in Vienna.
Take a walk around the Hofburg Palace and just generally walk around that area and the museum quarter, Vienna is all about walking around to see the buildings.
Great café near the Hofburg for the Vienna coffee (ask for Melange) and apple studdle and vanilla sauce.
If you like Schnitzel and a good Austrian atmosphere take a meal at Pürstner
Take the U Bahn to schönbrunn palace
Look out for cheap on the day tickets to the Opera House, it’s the classic thing to do in Vienna
Walk around the streets by the Stephansdom Cathedral, it’s the old part of Vienna
Prater Amusement Park and the Ferris Wheel.
Shopping, go to the Mariahilferstrasse

Hope it helps

Post #232614910th Feb 2023 4:43 pm
al cope

England 

Sounds great. We have booked tickets for the riding school, the schonbrun palace, and for a concert at Karlskirche. From the stuff you guys have told us there’s plenty to fill up the other time 👍

Thanks
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #232615310th Feb 2023 5:12 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

As above, did much of that last summer. Plus enjoyed boat trip down Danube, was going to do ferry to Bratislava but ran out of time. Tram & S Bahn very good, you can get very cheap week’s ticket on the app. And don’t miss our fave ice cream place on the planet on Stockholmplatz. Thumbs Up

Post #232616410th Feb 2023 6:43 pm
al cope

England 

I’ll have to make room for the ice cream on top of all the strudel I’m planning on eating 😳👍

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #232618310th Feb 2023 8:26 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Make sure you leave room for the famous Big Mama from a wurst stand along the river.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/u77QeoigcGD6eT7y7?g_st=ic Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Here’s the Stockholmplatz ice cream place.

Click image to enlarge

Sachertorte und strudel. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

And schnitzel and other scrummy food up in the hills to the N of the city (tram, bus & hike combo), really good non tourist place with music. Gasthaus zum Agnesbrünnl
https://maps.app.goo.gl/yNtfQjFSBjFBwwww7?g_st=ic

Click image to enlarge

And just a little beer to wash it down! Laughing Laughing

Click image to enlarge

You’re not going to go hungry!! And all quite reasonable, well everything is cf Hawaiian prices! Big Cry Big Cry

Post #232618610th Feb 2023 8:52 pm
al cope

England 

An update: what a lovely city Vienna is, we had great weather (24 rising to27 Deg last week) Did pretty much all of the stuff mentioned (palaces, riding school, tram rides, beer, schnitzel, strudel, did I say beer, cake, walked miles, 18000 steps most days, beautiful architecture) You can tell there was serious money around as they must have brought every statue available and all of the gold leaf going back in the day 😳.

Found some great bars and restaurants in nice back streets that seemed to be more used by the locals, as café culture was alive and kicking. Serving staff and bar staff were all really nice and more than friendly.

The concert in Karlskirche was smashing.

Would very much recommend Vienna for a break. IMHO you need more than a long weekend, we had 5 days which seemed about right 👍

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Last edited by al cope on 1st Oct 2023 2:12 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23493151st Oct 2023 2:07 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Vienna is fab. Thumbs Up

Post #23493181st Oct 2023 2:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >