DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Questions on basic D3 Entertainment system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
julesl2000

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Questions on basic D3 Entertainment system

Hi

I have an 05 basic model D3 with the basic CD / FM radio. This morning the FM radio did not have any reception I store the removable tow hitch in one side of the boot area and wondered if there are any areial connectors in the area that could have been moved and are causing the problem. Also I note that there is an AUX button on the head unit and wanted to know if anyone can tell me where I can connect a device such as an MP3 player? Thanks in advance for your help.

Post #5457074th Nov 2009 4:00 pm
flinty99

England 

The AUX connector if you have one is behind the centre cubby box and has a 12v power supply as well. Howvever I'm not sure f they were fitted as standard to all D3's or just from a certain spec up.

As for your other question I'm sure somebody will be along soon to answer that question as well.

Ian
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Post #5457154th Nov 2009 4:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Your profile shows your D3 as S not base spec Jules, if that's the case you should have the high-line audio (with separate amp under the drivers seat) not the base audio.
The rear side (drivers side in UK ISTR) and rear window heater wires are used for the FM aerial, on the side one you should be able to see a connector at the top, make sure this is still connected to the wires.
You should find a 3.5mm aux socket on the rear of the centre console next to the 12v socket you can plug mp3 players etc. into, though if yours really is base spec you might not have it (can be added on though)
 The End  
Post #5457164th Nov 2009 4:25 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I bet you were thinking of me then Flinty

Nope no antennea wires near the boot floor, they go over the RHS (from rear) wheel arch just behind the trim, then start to go up to the panel behind the rear light up the quarter panel and to above the mid point of the RHS side window where there is an Amp unit that then connects to the Glass, On a base spec thats where it ends, but on a High line another comes from that and goes to the right hand side of the upper tailgate to another amp, which then connects to the glass there, that gives it the antennea diversity.

The Aux wires from the Radio can be found at the connector in the pass side kick well going no further on a base spec but to the jack on the back of the cubby on a high line.

there are a quite a few pictures of the bits and bobs on this thread that may help, and it will also help you explain how i know the difference. Rolling with laughter

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic37092.html?highlight=

Post #5457454th Nov 2009 5:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Jules

Being a base spec owner can help out here - the base audio unit whilst having an Aux button does not connect readily ( i.e as fitted from the factory) to anything,it just switches the audio into a dead end silence - useful mute facility?.
On the rear of the centre cubby box you will probably have a plastic insert directly below the air vents to allow odds & sods to be stored, this is where on higher spec D3's there is a pop up flap behind which is an Aux socket and a 12v power socket. You can retro fit the Aux/12V socket unit as replaces the aforementioned plastic inset , the unit if I recall is not a lot of money suggest you contact TLO @ Yeovil Landrover for the best price - you will find most probably that the wiring is already there to connect to the 12V socket and it will work straight away,useful to have a power source for the second row seat users,however most on here have found that the wiring to connect to the Aux socket on a base D3 is not there so connection is not plug and play !!. It is a bit of a job to retro wire from the Aux socket to the in centre console Audio unit. Overall worth doing and does not take much effort or any special tools to get the job done Thumbs Up

Do a search on the site and you will find a considerable amount of content regarding options on how to connect alternatively to the aux facility of the audio unit on a base D3 and on retro fitting the unit on the back of the centre cubby box . Lots of pics to help. If you are still stuck PM me and I will try and help.

Another alternative is to replace the OEM audio unit with a Universal/Independant audio unit - done this and not only does it improve the audio in D3 considerably but you will get loads more functionality at your finger tips which will usually include MP3 connectivity (Pics available if your interested.....) depending on which unit you go with Whistle

Hope this helps

Thumbs Up

Post #5466906th Nov 2009 9:55 am
pollafero

Belgium 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
No mp3 in (basic) single cd player?

Would like to ask another question on the basic audio unit with single cd-player: could it be it does not take mp3-discs? Did several trials with different mp3-cd's, but screen displays everytime an error message and then spits the disc out. Sad

Post #55051213th Nov 2009 12:52 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Nope single CD unit does not do MP3

Its not a straight swap cus you need the amp, and you cant add that unless you have more speakers.

Post #55067313th Nov 2009 11:48 am
pollafero

Belgium 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Thnx, Spying Sponsor. I learned already (on this forum, where else) there is no easy swap between CD-400 and CD-465 (which seems to be the Alpine VUX5003xx). So I guess that is no option 4 me. It will be a MP3 player then. But then again, I will have to make a connection to the AUX- connector. Well: lotsa posts on that item too, here at dico3.co.uk Thumbs Up
 When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead, remember what the dormouse said: feed your head. (Jefferson Airplane)  
Post #55069313th Nov 2009 12:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >