Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Quirks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Quirks

Has anyone found any "quirks" yet with their D4 ?

One that revealed itself today was when I went to check the oil. I searched high and low in the engine bay for the dipstick but failed to find any. Finally resorted to reading the manual - and discovered that there is no dipstick on this engine. Instead of a good old fashioned dipstick the vehicle relies on an electronic sensor which reads how much oil is in the engine and warns you if it is too low. You can see what the oil level is from the settings menu - much as the fuel guage reads. Ours is reading two notches below full, but that is still 2 notches up from half way and the level is described as "ok". Lets hope the electronic monitoring system is reliable as running out of oil could be a lot more damaging than running out of fuel.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #54037526th Oct 2009 5:05 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

I found the same, but you have to get the engine warm first and then let it stand for a few minutes before getting an accurate reading.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #54037926th Oct 2009 5:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CFB

United Kingdom 

That seems like technology for the sake of it to me, nice idea but as you say, how reliable???
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #54043226th Oct 2009 6:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

How about the windscreen washers then?

1/ a short press still gives a thorough soaking instead of just a brief pulse (and no wipe, if brief enough - useful when trying to work out if jets have defrosted before wiping!)

2/ you get a followup wipe a few seconds later to clean up the inevitable drips

I like 2, not 1!

Martin

Post #54043426th Oct 2009 6:47 pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Unless you have rain sensing wipers which the timed washer pulse is probably designed for............
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #54072126th Oct 2009 11:55 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
I thought

the oil level system used on auto (& some manual gearboxes) was a load of ballcocks when I first came across it on A BMW
if this current fitting is as inaccurate as land Rover Fuel tank gauges its a move too far

Agreed technology for technologies sake...OK it gives a warning of low level but it shouldn't replace the dipstick.
A dipstick is a fundamental device - no moving parts.....doesn't need calibrating.

......will be a real ball ache when filling after an oil change...instead of pouring & dipping - have to refer to dashboard gauge
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #54075627th Oct 2009 8:02 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Have you spotted that there's no drain plug either?

Edit: This statement seems to be incorrect.

Last edited by GraemeS on 28th Oct 2009 10:50 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #54079427th Oct 2009 10:03 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

GraemeS wrote:
Have you spotted that there's no drain plug either?

WTF - are we all to be emasculinated to the extent that we can't properly check or change our own oil ?

Another quirk is that there is no longer the option to disable the interior motion sensors on the car by pressing the lock button twice. As dog owners we used that feature when ever we left the dogs in the car for a short while. You now need to change the settings menu to switch off interior sensors. Progress ???
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #54104127th Oct 2009 8:58 pm
thorgal

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Yeeepp.No dipstick nor oil plug for you guys.Instead, each dealer has to invest 2000US dollars in new suction machine to suck up the oil and offset will cost you.27 bucks for one quart of engine oil.You should have staid with good 'ol D3.Cheers

Post #54105327th Oct 2009 9:13 pm
NJF

I haven't had a dipstick on my other cars for 6 years. I can't say I miss it. I don't doubt for a second that the electronic sensor is accurate, and in the past it has told me exactly how much oil to add. It's a welcome development for LR, IMHO.

On the drain plug question, as TFC said to me: most plant and marine engines don't require oil to be changed through a sump plug, and they work well under a range of arduous conditions.

Post #54108727th Oct 2009 10:03 pm
thriftwood

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Smarticus
The manual implies(states!) that the interior & tilt sensors are disabled if you single lock the car. I.e. one press of the key and no deadlocks which seems to make a bit of sense if you are leaving animals, children etc in the car. Double locking enables the deadlocks and sets tilt & motion sensors.
At least I hope this is how it works as otherwise, you are correct, it will be a right royal pain in the Censored
Richard

Post #54110827th Oct 2009 10:21 pm
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

thorgal wrote:
....Instead, each dealer has to invest 2000US dollars in new suction machines....

You can get 'suction machines' for the equivalent of GB£30......If anything, it's easier to do an oil change using this - you put back how much you take out.

Post #54112327th Oct 2009 10:33 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

NJF wrote:
said to me: most plant and marine engines don't require oil to be changed through a sump plug, and they work well under a range of arduous conditions.

You cant compare large marine engine lubrication systems to whats in a car...
large marine engines use oil OK...but the engines have a range of separate systems using very specific & different types of oil
Crankcase oil....lubes the crankcase & crossheads of the engine
these are separated from the actual combustion area of the engine that is lubricated by cylinder lubrication oil (very special oils)
.....the two systems are separated in the main engine entablature....a large void that channels the scavenge air (from the turbo blower/s)
OK.....crankcase oil systems haven't a "drain plug" but system incorporate a centrifuge oil separation system that takes out impurities & uses water to "wash" the oil before its returned to the system......these are in addition to very large area filters that have internal self-cleaning systems.

A road vehicle engine combines the two....crankcase oil also lubes the cylinder walls....the products of combustion....carbon & a range of acids are suspended in the engine oil....thats why engines used in short journey (local driving stop & start) engines "suffer" compared to engines that get up to temperature

I see the similarity to marine engines but D4's having no drain plug misses the opportunity of being able to let engine oil settle in the sump & allow the crap to be drained out....a simple but very effective system that believe it or not actually works & you cant beat simple systems that work.
Long term I see the situation that accumulated crap & crud is kept in the engine - a detrimental situation to long term engine life...even with "new" technology engine oils
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Last edited by BLFarrar on 27th Oct 2009 11:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #54114027th Oct 2009 11:03 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Who mentioned large marine engines, a whole host of craft <40ft run with diesels that only have one type of oil that is not extracted via a sump plug, they all work.

I wonder if the same discussions were had when they decided to start cars by using a battery rather than starting handle Confused
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #54114627th Oct 2009 11:08 pm
BLFarrar

SJR wrote:
Who mentioned large marine engines....
....look above NJF did

Quote:
I wonder if the same discussions were had when they decided to start cars by using a battery rather than starting handle Confused

......starting handles isn't really a valid comparison....with engine lubrication & the ability to easily see the level & drain it out without recourse to a suction machine hinders DIY oi changes or for that matter engine oil changes "in the field"

Quote:
a whole host of craft <40ft run with diesels that only have one type of oil that is not extracted via a sump plug, they all work....
....quite true but even these would benefit from being allowed to drain BREXIT - done properly.

Post #54115027th Oct 2009 11:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >