Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Rain makes noise on roof
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
ekuiken

Netherlands 
Rain makes noise on roof

Since I am living in The Netherlands, where we experience quite some rainy days, I noticed that raindrops make an awful lot of noise on the part of the roof between the front sunroof and the glasspart above the rearseats.
Somehow it seems this aluminium panel is not isolated at all.

Anyone else with the same experience?

Erik

Post #212023rd Oct 2005 2:04 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

You'd better ask the Manchester guys- there are a few forum members from those parts and they will be rain gods.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #212043rd Oct 2005 2:08 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Rain noise is no match for 'Faithless' at volume level 25 Wink

Post #212063rd Oct 2005 2:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 
Re: Rain makes noise on roof

ekuiken wrote:
Since I am living in The Netherlands, where we experience quite some rainy days, I noticed that raindrops make an awful lot of noise on the part of the roof between the front sunroof and the glasspart above the rearseats.

Erik

Try the roof with no sun roof, it sounds like a Jamaican steel band playing, but its a Land Rover, so expect some reality Shocked

You could always fit a roof rack and deflect the rain Very Happy

Post #212223rd Oct 2005 4:21 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

kevinlally wrote:
You'd better ask the Manchester guys- there are a few forum members from those parts and they will be rain gods.

Yep it does sound like peas in an empty tin!.

Oh, by the way, it did not rain in Manchester today. 8)

Post #212343rd Oct 2005 5:06 pm
Lysander

United Kingdom 

Gareth wrote:

Oh, by the way, it did not rain in Manchester today. 8)

Well there was an Eclipse today... Very Happy

Post #213713rd Oct 2005 9:15 pm
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

BN wrote:

The roof-rack doesn't help. You just get a ping'ing noise off the Aluminium instead.

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #213813rd Oct 2005 10:10 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Talking off roof racks - I fitted the standard Land Rover pair of bars this weekend. I was surprised at how insubstantial they feel. Also the "locking" mechanism onto the roof rail feels equally feeble. The rack on a D2 was industrial strength and did the job of carrying up to 5 kayaks very well indeed. The new rack looks and feels as if a couple of kayaks would be its capacity. Why build a 7 seater with bags of interior capacity then design a rack which can carry less than those supplied by Halfords for a Fiat Punto ?! Evil or Very Mad
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #215255th Oct 2005 7:53 am
allie

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
ekuiken wrote:

Erik

Try the roof with no sun roof, it sounds like a Jamaican steel band playing, but its a Land Rover, so expect some reality Shocked

Have not experienced this rain on roof noise yet - despite living in North Wales, roughly 35 miles from Wrexham Wink
 Allie

A11 EEY 

Post #215275th Oct 2005 8:01 am
BN

England 

Smarticus wrote:
Talking off roof racks - I fitted the standard Land Rover pair of bars this weekend. I was surprised at how insubstantial they feel. Also the "locking" mechanism onto the roof rail feels equally feeble. The rack on a D2 was industrial strength and did the job of carrying up to 5 kayaks very well indeed. The new rack looks and feels as if a couple of kayaks would be its capacity. Why build a 7 seater with bags of interior capacity then design a rack which can carry less than those supplied by Halfords for a Fiat Punto ?! Evil or Very Mad

The idea is that you do not overload the roof as they have to cover for off road use and tilt angles don't forget. Its not just for the pavement parkers its a real 4x4. Half a ton of gubbins on the roof makes it top heavy and over it goes.

Post #215435th Oct 2005 9:05 am
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

BN wrote:

The idea is that you do not overload the roof as they have to cover for off road use and tilt angles don't forget. Its not just for the pavement parkers its a real 4x4. Half a ton of gubbins on the roof makes it top heavy and over it goes.

But surely that argument was the same for the D2, but the roof racks on those things would hold serious weight without any issue. The additional weight of the D3 must make it even more able to cope with weight on the roof.

The current roof-rack spec is PANTS. It won't actually allow for the weight of the average male adult before it gets overloaded, which makes it very difficult to load Confused

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #215535th Oct 2005 9:21 am
BN

England 

Coffeecup wrote:
BN wrote:

But surely that argument was the same for the D2, but the roof racks on those things would hold serious weight without any issue. The additional weight of the D3 must make it even more able to cope with weight on the roof.

The current roof-rack spec is PANTS. It won't actually allow for the weight of the average male adult before it gets overloaded, which makes it very difficult to load Confused

What was the load on the old D2 anyone remember?

Post #215565th Oct 2005 9:24 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

The D2 roof bars would happily support 2 adults and 4 kayaks (we used to load the boats whilst standing on each bar - albeit with the vehicle stationary). The bars were also a lot wider and therefore if a kayak was to fall off the side when loading, it would be unlikely to hit the side of the vehicle. The D3 roof bars won't take a single adult (its 71kg between the pair and I weigh 85kg) and there is no mechanism to ensure the get a good grip of the roof - they simply sit within a shallow metal indent on the roof rail. They are also a lot narrower than the vehicle and curve down at each end - so their carrying capacity (volume rather than weight) is also far lower. As for danger of tipping over - for normal road use the centre of gravity on a D3 is a lot lower than on a D2 so I would have expected the roof capacity to be a lot higher. It all suggests that Land Rover have designed this vehicle to look good in the brochure (where there are photos of the D3 carrying a pair of skis or a single kayak) rather than be able to do any serious work.....
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #217845th Oct 2005 10:48 pm
BN

England 

Smarticus in some respects I think you may be correct. However it is an interesting point and needs to have an answer. One difference is that the D2 had a gutter mounted roof rack system and the D3 has built in mounts. Presumably the built in should in theory be stronger, but that leads to the esthetics as you mention.

I think on the other hand the D3 has the ability to be a tool, not just brochure friendly, but the height does restrict easy rack usage and to date no ladder has been officially made or designed.

We need to find out:
What was the tilt angle of the D2
What was the official roof load of the D2
What is the tilt angle of the D3
What is the official roof load of the D3

I know its in the book guys, but I don't have a book on either near me yet at the moment. I am sure Patriot will be working on an excellent roof rack system, but they are expensive. Yes guys I know them as well, sorry, so will call them and see.

http://www.patriotroofracks.co.uk/

The white 110 in their customers cars gallery is one of my old vehicles and the rack on that was fantastic.

Post #218006th Oct 2005 6:52 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The expedition rack on the G4 looks like it's pretty well loaded, at least one spare wheel & tyre, to access it you'll have to walk on the rack

I think the loadings quoted by LR have a good safety margin basically to fend off any claims for rolled / damaged vehicles

Post #218036th Oct 2005 7:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >