DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

rain sensor sensitivity
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: rain sensor sensitivity

gvmnt wrote:
the rain sensor on my 2006 LR3 appears to have its own mind. it does not respond to the sensitivity dial. and more often than not wipes way too often, but sometimes in heavy rain may just become insanely intermittent.

Snap x3
But only after our 3rd windscreen, so seeing as the sensor is replaced when they change the windscreen (as it is bonded to the screen) it might be that the sensor itself has some variation in sensitivity either between year models or probably between individual modules. Is there not perhaps a software "calibration" to suit the sensor to the vehicle?

Post #27057510th Mar 2008 8:59 pm
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Rain Sensor

Well if it ever rained maybe I could comment. 5mths ownership - rained twice while I've been out. Sad
Cheers.
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #27086111th Mar 2008 11:27 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Maybe mine has a 'fixed' system as it appears to wipe OK (we've had a lot of rain the last two days) and the dial does change the sensitivity - not much but makes a difference as to when it starts to sweep.

Post #27088811th Mar 2008 12:40 pm
catweasel

I'm extra lucky coz mines also got a dust sensor and sweeps the dust away when its feeling a bit energetic. comical really

Post #27089211th Mar 2008 12:50 pm
tucker_j

England 

My dial appears to do nothing but the rain sensors work just fine, intermittent thru' to fast they do exactly as I would expect and I'm very pleased with this feature.

The auto headlights on the other hand have no logic to them whatsoever. On the M20 yesterday in pelting rain and black skies during the worst storm of the winter (apparantly) the headlights just turned off Sad

Post #27097811th Mar 2008 4:54 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Just turn the lights on and off yourself. Your judgement will be better than the D3's Thumbs Up

Post #27098111th Mar 2008 5:02 pm
sewin

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Re: rain sensor sensitivity

gvmnt wrote:
the rain sensor on my 2006 LR3 appears to have its own mind. it does not respond to the sensitivity dial. and more often than not wipes way too often, but sometimes in heavy rain may just become insanely intermittent.

i checked with the dealer, who suggested to replace the dial (under warranty). but now a couple of months later i still do not see any difference from the way it worked previously.

is there a consensus on whether it is a known issue? and what the fix is, if any. our second car is Volvo V50, and the rain sensor there works like a charm.

thank you.

That's funny, we have the same combination of cars and its the other way around for us---D3 great, Volvo as you describe. However I have noticed that if the sensor area on the screen is dirty it does affect the function and worse! if you have a stone chip in that area it just wont behave as the wiper's sweep re-spreads water as it passes back and the sensor thinks its rain again. If that is the case get in the auto glass people to fill the chip!

Post #42948026th Feb 2009 6:31 pm
Carabraxis

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Quote:

gvmnt wrote:

Snap x 2

Snap x 3

Post #42957926th Feb 2009 9:11 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

We now solved this a little while ago here: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic23840.html

Seems on some (most?) vehicles the manual is wrong and the dial only adjusts the speed of the intermittent wipe on the rear wiper - there is no effect to the front 'rain sensor' setting at all!

Embarassed
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #42959826th Feb 2009 9:30 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

There is a Rain Sensor sensitivity value stored in the Vehicles Car Configuration File which supports four setting possibilities. So it should be possible to adjust it, not sure if the dealers can do this with their equipment though.

Post #42966026th Feb 2009 10:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >