Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Range Rover Sport to a Discovery 4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mrcraigcharlton74

United Kingdom 
Range Rover Sport to a Discovery 4

Sorry for mentioning the 'other' sub-brand here but in fear of retribution I do have, what I think, is a sensible question.

I currently have a face lifted 3.0 RRS and I must admit I do love it, however I'm finding it a little small (it's all relative I know) when carrying around all the stuff that comes with a 20 month old and have started looking at a Disco 4. It will also be better to have the extra seats for when the folks are around - but this isn't essential. I'm liking the look of the new MY2012 and I'm seriously considering making a move early in the new year.

So ...

Has anyone done this or similar and any thoughts on things I'll miss form the RRS and things that are much better on the Disco?

cheers
Craig

Post #86445528th Nov 2011 3:10 pm
DaveC

United Kingdom 

friend of mine has the RRS and he agreed if your not a badge snob and go for the HSE the minor things you miss are easily forgotten about.
 XC90 T8 R Design Pro

MY14 D4 HSE Lux (sadly gone)
Mariana Black with Ivory interior and lots of toys! 

Post #86446128th Nov 2011 3:23 pm
dazsear

England 

I went from an 08 HST to an 09 Disco HSE, ok so both were the old model but it would seem a good comparison.
I needed the extra space for scuba diving gear and also a massive dog and the switch seemed a logical idea.

I have to say that the change was great on the whole and the only thing I really missed was the performance issues moving from a TDV8 sport to a TDV6 Disco....you wont have that problem since both cars have the same engine.

Ok so the Disco does not go round corners quite so fast but I have now got used to that so I think it seems a good move.
I also like the fact that people dont give you a second glance in the Disco but you got lots of stares in the sport, on the down side I dont feel the same warm glo in the Disco which feels more down to earth....obviously an marketing issue thing since both are great cars that that look almost identical from the drivers seat.

Hope this helps

Daz
 17 4.4 Autobiography FFRR
57 VW Transporter - now gone!
09 D3 HSE in Black - long gone!
08 RRS TDV8 HST - long long gone! 

Post #86450228th Nov 2011 5:10 pm
mrcraigcharlton74

United Kingdom 

DaveC & dazsear - thanks for your messages, very helpful - and I'm not a brand snob so I think I should probably progress to a test drive and see how I get on going round corners Smile ... and also understand the small matter about how much money I'll have lost on the RRS!

Post #86450728th Nov 2011 5:27 pm
dazsear

England 

I know what you mean but I stand to lose more on the Disco than I did on the Sport!

Daz
 17 4.4 Autobiography FFRR
57 VW Transporter - now gone!
09 D3 HSE in Black - long gone!
08 RRS TDV8 HST - long long gone! 

Post #86458528th Nov 2011 8:18 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

i had A 55 plate disco 3 for nearly 4 years and loved it but really wanted a RRS so i sold the D3 and purchased a brand new RRS tdv8 i loved it TO START WITH the power the looks you get from other motorists etc BUT after 6 months i started to hate the RRS my 2 kids would want to take a friend out with us but i had to say no not enough room, we had a holiday home in the peak district and used to go there every weekend but we had to start taking 2 cars as i could not get 4 people a dog and all the gear we needed in the RRS

so after 9 months i sold it and bought a D4 HSE well what a relief it is the best thing i have done i absolutly love the D4 its is by far the best land rover i have ever owned it has loads of room 7 seats 3 proper seats on the second row unlike the RRS loads of boot space and loads of power the only thing i miss that was on the RRS is the adaptive cruise control apart from that i would never ever go back to a sport over a D4 its just not a family car big enough for my family but the D 4 is

i am driving to aviemore for christmas just fitted my winter tyres on it again and i cant wait i am looking forward to the drive as much as the holiday i think

if you want my advise ditch the RRS and get yourself a D 4 you will not regret it
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #8674795th Dec 2011 9:41 pm
gerrymac

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
RRS V DISCO

Hi

I had an RRS the 2.7 model for 2 years and I loved it but I changed for a Porsche Cayenne Turbo which I also loved but the 16mpg was killing me as I do a lot of miles. So I decided to take the plunge and go for a disco 3 as the 4 was a bit to pricey for me at the min but my point being having owed both I think it comes down to this the RRS is a jeep that can certainly corner much faster but the disco with the 7 seats is much more versatile I can fold the seats flat and use it for work during the week and lift them up and carry the kids and dog with bikes prams ect at the week end and if I'm honest I think it can corner more than fast enough for my needs Whistle There certainly is a lot more room in the disco and I am looking forward to camping trips in the summer and my eventual upgrade to a disco 4 when the price drops a bit as I think a bit more power would be great pulling away from junctions. Over all I am happy with my move but it depends on your usage and if you need the extra space and if you are willing to trade off cornering on rails to achieve that Big Cry No easy I know.
Ps make sure you get a model with a heated steering wheel as I think I missed that today more than anything else Thumbs Up
 Gerrymac

Common sense ain't all that common 

Post #8675205th Dec 2011 10:43 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Never had a RRS because my gear would not fit and we tried it as well but goes in the D4 with ease Thumbs Up

Post #8675235th Dec 2011 10:48 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Wife and I have had a RRS and a D3 from launch of both. Now have a TDv8 RRS and a D4 in the family. If you want a "do it all, anywhere" motor the D4 is definitely the way to go. If you want a sublime driver's machine the RRS TDv8 is the way to go.

If we had to have just one it would have to be the D4. Kids, dogs, bikes, boots, holidays, canoes etc - D4 is the only tool for such stuff. And it drives very well. Can hustle through twisties with great aplomb. But the RRS can take on those twisties with more precision, balance, poise and feedback and the TDv8 is a marvellous motor.

So the simple solution is get one of each (and a Defender for really dirty weekends) Thumbs Up
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #8675876th Dec 2011 1:59 am
met

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

went from a d3 to cayenne turbo also as i was missing the fast cornering and bling of the SUV had it for 3 months and changed up to a new D4, its jus the better car, i like the RRS's ideal for a couple with 1 child tops, more than that the boots not big enough and your limited on the width of the rear row of seats, the D4 has proper 3 seats in the back and the 2 rear seats are perfect for the kids mates etc. me the wife, our 3 kids and my mum with lots of room to spare, again looking forward to the drive at xmas to shropshire its the best car if you need the space.

Post #8690709th Dec 2011 11:09 pm
maddogsetc

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Keep the RRS and get a Disco as well. Problem solved! Very Happy

Post #8690729th Dec 2011 11:21 pm
whoami

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

shawn wrote:
i had A 55 plate disco 3 for nearly 4 years and loved it but really wanted a RRS so i sold the D3 and purchased a brand new RRS tdv8 i loved it TO START WITH the power the looks you get from other motorists etc BUT after 6 months i started to hate the RRS my 2 kids would want to take a friend out with us but i had to say no not enough room, we had a holiday home in the peak district and used to go there every weekend but we had to start taking 2 cars as i could not get 4 people a dog and all the gear we needed in the RRS

so after 9 months i sold it and bought a D4 HSE well what a relief it is the best thing i have done i absolutly love the D4 its is by far the best land rover i have ever owned it has loads of room 7 seats 3 proper seats on the second row unlike the RRS loads of boot space and loads of power the only thing i miss that was on the RRS is the adaptive cruise control apart from that i would never ever go back to a sport over a D4 its just not a family car big enough for my family but the D 4 is

i am driving to aviemore for christmas just fitted my winter tyres on it again and i cant wait i am looking forward to the drive as much as the holiday i think

if you want my advise ditch the RRS and get yourself a D 4 you will not regret it

The looks of hatred?

Post #8690749th Dec 2011 11:23 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

RRS is small. Can't even fit our dog in the back. Shocked Rolling Eyes
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8690769th Dec 2011 11:30 pm
A1GSS

England 

Smaller, and more expensive. Cramped, if you're used to the Discovery's space, or cosy and cosseting. Personally I don't get it, but then we're all different.

Test a Discovery, the world's best family car, then decide.
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #86909110th Dec 2011 12:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >