Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Rear brakes squeal and heat and LR response.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Redroof

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Rear brakes squeal and heat and LR response.

Hi all, I need a place to vent that will understand my situation, I am an an absolute rage.
The Disco 4 went in for a service this morning at a well known awful dealership in north Glasgow.
I made sure the rear brakes issue was well documented and in the job card. I also made up a wee document with some pictures and an explanation. Intermittent squealing at any road speed from the rear brakes, offside mostly. Excessive heat accompanies the noise, I included pictures of comparison where the rear offside disc is at 243degC compared to around 60degC for all others.
So they failed to send me the video this morning and phoned at lunch time asking why I hadn’t been in touch. That aside they told me there was no problem with the brakes and the calliper was returning no problems but because of the heat damage it needs new discs and pads at a cost of £680! They said due to the age and mileage (4 and 26k) the corrosion because of all the salt in the road has caused the pad to sit incorrectly in the calliper and rub on the disc, causing the heat build up.
I’m afraid I cannot accept this and told the receptionist as much as if that was the case I would be consistently getting the heat issue and I am not. I have suggested it may be a lazy calliper not consistently retracting correctly. I have requested the calliper stripped down as my extended warranty covers calliper faults. I would hope the warranty would cover symptoms arising from the source fault also but given my heated discussion earlier I’d imagine they’d just want to empty my wallet.
 Current Stable
1998 300TDi Defender 90 'Daisy'
2006 Audi RS4 Avant Daytona Grey 'Ava' (just cant let go)
2016 D4 Landmark Waitomo Grey 'Dora' 

Post #218279427th Oct 2020 2:38 pm
Redroof

Update:
The workshop manager, who I am not allowed to talk to directly it would seem, has said there is no obvious signs of any problems with the calliper on inspection after dismantling. However, that said due to the issue LR will exchange the calliper under warranty, but will not cover the cost of the discs and pads.
This compromise I can live with, the fact that I will have to cover the £680 for the discs and pads is daylight robbery.
It’s somewhat questionable why they’ve decided to change the calliper if there is no obvious signs of concern, and begs the question have they found something and don’t want to admit the customer is correct? It also seems odd that if the calliper is not to blame, why change it and again, if the calliper is to blame, and the damaged discs and pads are a result of the goosed calliper why the warranty wouldn’t cover this as well.
This last pondering I will put directly to the LR extended warranty company.
Hope you’re all having a better day than me. I truly dislike taking this car to this dealership, each time I have there has been issues, that’s 4 out of 4 now. Not always issues with the car I hasten to add, mostly poor customer service and an apparent lack of planning and understanding. I will be going elsewhere from now on.

Current Stable

Post #218282427th Oct 2020 4:59 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Your last line is the one that answers your issue for me...

There'll be plenty of peeps on here who can recommend places that will help you.

Go there. I learned after a long time that the Indie network is the best by a mile.

Good luck getting sorted..

Thumbs Up
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #218282627th Oct 2020 5:02 pm
davidhem

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

I had the squealing on the rear brakes and it was nothing to do with the caliper, one of the handbrake shoes had shifted and was rubbing against the disc.

The money they want to charge you for the discs and pads is crazy, do it yourself, it's easy.
 David

Post #218282927th Oct 2020 5:11 pm
Sea Raider

Good old Taggarts I presume

Post #218286227th Oct 2020 7:38 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I had a very similar issue on a 2014 D4, on the drive home after a service no less, they had "overtightened the handbrake shoes/pads" causing one side to try and lock up at 60mph, it couldn''t but then generated a lot of heat (and smoke) and then left me with no rear brakes...

Result was a new set of discs, pads, and handbrake mechanism courtesy of LR.... if the handbrake caused the issue then it's for LR to sort it out...
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #218286927th Oct 2020 7:58 pm
Sylvester19

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Is that the 1st set of rear pads from new at 26K?

Post #218292527th Oct 2020 11:38 pm
AdamRandall

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

In the nicest way possible, I’m glad I’ve seen this thread! I have identical symptoms on my D3.
I’ve already had issues with my OSF calliper not retracting and damaging the pads and disks to the point I had to replace. The noise from my OSR is very different though. I’ve already checked for damage to the disks and pads and haven’t found any. I’ll take a look at the handbrake shoes instead and see if that’s the issue.

I hope you get your issue resolved!

PS, I repaired my calliper hanger easily with a 17mm socket, breaker bar, vice and some grease. It’s much easier than you’d think.
 12 months of D3 ownership have passed and I’m still loving it!  
Post #218294128th Oct 2020 12:34 am
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

680 quid for discs. Take the car away and either get indi or fit the lot your self for cheaper.

Steve
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #218295328th Oct 2020 8:06 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

regarding consequential damage caused by a failed warrantied part (i.e. brakes & pads goosed directly caused by the failed caliper) then I had similar issues a few years ago.

bought a 2nd hand 3 year old car from a main dealer with 1 years full warranty. Developed a droning noise from the rear which I took it back to the dealer for, who could find nothing wrong. 4 or 5 times it went back to them over the course of the next few months and was eventually diagnosed as a failed rear wheel bearing on one side (covered by warranty) but having been driving it for so many months in that state, the other side had started to fail too (also covered by warranty) but the tyres were both worn badly on the edge, directly caused by the failed bearing as the tyres were brand new when I bought it. They refused to replace the tyres as they weren't covered by warranty, even though a failed warranty part caused them to wear.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #218295628th Oct 2020 8:40 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Had a sticky front caliper issue on my Mitsubishi Outlander at 4.5yrs and 29k.

Mitsubishi replaced the caliper in question, front discs and pads under warranty

Post #218298628th Oct 2020 11:11 am
Redroof

Update.
So to answer questions above. The only reason I have used LR is because I have a service package, this is the last year, so I am now going to look for an indie.
I’d happily do the discs pads and callipers myself if i thought it wasn’t a warranty issue.
I diagnosed the calliper intermittently not fully retracting and not the EPB because the EPB drum was around 100degC cooler than the disc portion of the drum/ disc part.

So yesterday LR said they would change the calliper under warranty but not the discs and pads. The ext warranty handbook has a consequent failure clause but they will not uphold this as they cannot actually find fault with the calliper.

I am a marine engineer with 25 years experience at sea on all kinds of ships working with all sorts of engines and machinery including cranes which have big brakes not dissimilar to vehicle brakes. I cannot for the life of me understand why this is not a consequent failure. It has been identified that the discs and pads are heat damaged caused by the pad rubbing and the rear offside has excessive pad wear, and they are changing the calliper. That says to me that the calliper is at fault and has caused subsequent damage. I grant that intermittent faults are the absolute worst to diagnose.

I’ve spoken to the extended warranty people who have requested video and images and a workshop report. Short of going to the FOS I feel I have nowhere to go with this.

Once again LR have excelled themselves with their customer service. Such a shame because buying the car was a really great experience and I have had my eye on the new defender as a logical successor for the D4 quite soon, but their after sales service and staff are shockingly poor. I’ve complained 4 times to LR directly about Taggarts and their response is sorry we haven’t lived up to your expectations. Wtf? They haven’t even lived up to their own expectations or even common politeness.

Love the brand and the D4 but genuinely detest dealing with them!
 Current Stable

Post #218299328th Oct 2020 11:53 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I love Taggarts Thumbs Up

We get so much work from them due to the way they treat their customers Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #218300128th Oct 2020 1:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Redroof

If Dundee wasn’t so far away I’d be heading for yours!

Looking at Elite Land Rover in Clydebank, it’s right next to where I take my Audi, does anyone have any experience of them? Seems to be an ex-LR master tech and they have access to the on line service history.

A for Audi is the only garage I’ve not minded dealing with in 25 years of car ownership. I’ve always felt like I get treated like an idiot everywhere else and often as if main dealers are trying to pull a fast one. Perhaps I’m just too picky, or due to my job too interested in failure modes/ reasons. I also suppose having some knowledge isn’t necessarily a good thing. Very few garages except A for Audi have been able to competently answer my questions and give believable reasons. It doesn’t happen every time, only with Taggarts! How arrogant does that make me sound! I suppose it’s not for techs etc to really know failure modes, all they need to know is if it’s working or not.
 Current Stable

Post #218301328th Oct 2020 2:12 pm
Sea Raider

I use Elite and would not hesitate to use them.
Paul the owner knows his stuff.
Book early he's always busy.

Post #218301528th Oct 2020 2:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >