Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Rear cubby battery mount?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
CIO

Bahrain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Rear cubby battery mount?

So I've decided that I need a dual battery system that'll power my fridge/freezer for a day or so without having driven the car. Seeing as there doesn't appear to be any room under the bonnet due to stop-start and various other gubbins, the most popular location seems to be the rear passenger side cubby box.

I've seen threads on here and elsewhere where people have built little shelves out of wood, or wedged the battery in with some padding material. Due to my circumstances (live in Bahrain, my D4 is in the UK and i only get to use it for holidays) and the fact that any work i do with the car will be outside where we stop on holiday etc (so not a lot of time for experimentation), are there any commercial options for mounting the battery in the rear cubby box?

I've seen the external battery boxes and whilst they are very nice, i am looking to hide the battery away and not lose any boot space.

FWIW I plan on installing a traxide system made for installing the battery in the rear.

Post #206770811th Jul 2019 12:43 pm
CIO

Just following up on this to say that I found one and have fitted it. Ben at Prospeed supplied one that bolts in place, replacing and using the same mounting hardware as the removable tow bar holder in the rear left had side cubby. Fit and finish is as you would expect from Prospeed - pretty much flawless.

I fitted an ODYSSEY PC1230 along with a custom fit traxide system for mounting the battery in the rear. Getting the battery in position was ridiculously fiddly with next to zero wriggle room and in hindsight I should have removed the trim panel rather than shoehorning it in through the cubby hole. In the process of getting the battery in i caused two small outward facing dents in the panel - go me!

Fitting the traxide was straightforward except for getting the cable into the passenger side footwell. I owe Tim some pictures of how i did it but ended up going through a grommet on the side of the engine fuse box and then behind the dummy air intake and through a sealed plastic grommet behind the dashboard. Pretty sure threes a better way but didn't feel confident pushing the cable through the same huge grommet as the main loom.

Also, anyone who fancies getting a dual battery system setup in their late model D4 and who's never done any mods to their cars before should definitely give it a go. If i can get it done, then really anyone can.

Post #208731326th Sep 2019 11:18 pm
tintenter

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

What was the cost and part numbers of the rear battery carrier, also any pictures of it in place
 Tintenter
Corris Grey Discovery 4 HSE

Bigger permagrin now installed

Semper in excretum, sole profundum moveat. 

Post #208736627th Sep 2019 9:38 am
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Good timing as im preping to do this in the near future and im up at prospeed in a couple of weeks. Any pics prices part no etc?
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #208742927th Sep 2019 12:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CIO

Not sure about part numbers, its not on the site, but I noticed they had made one previously via a Facebook post - best speak to Prospeed directly. I had a couple of other packages from them (rack package and protection package) and the battery holder was a last minute addition to the order. Best speak to Ben directly re the cost.

I'm kicking myself for not taking pics of the shelf. I got carried away with excitement to get the whole setup installed the day before we traveled a couple of weeks back. Basically its a metal frame that bolts into the same fittings used by the tow bar holder (obviously this means i had to remove the tow bar). it's easy to fit, but getting the battery in is very very tight. In hindsight I should have removed the boot trim, and I might end up doing that next week to tidy up the install of the battery and traxide kit. The shelf has openings to fit a ratchet strap to hold the battery in position.

i'll take pics of the battery and all the traxide bits in position next week when i'm in the Peak District. I'm currently in Cornwall with a boot full of kit including a fridge that's now running 24x7 Thumbs Up

Post #208755927th Sep 2019 10:10 pm
Ceekay

Thanks CIO i spoke to prospeed via email yesterday and they said they would put one aside for me so fingers crossed. Please post the pics when you can Thumbs Up

Post #208772228th Sep 2019 1:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just came back from Cornwall yesterday.

Maybe a group buy could be sorted. Would be interested to see the bracket and what kind of price it is.

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #208775228th Sep 2019 3:47 pm
Ceekay

Agreed Andy,

I reserved one as im up there mid Oct, i think i have seen one somewhere but no price as of yet, just confirmation they will save me one Thumbs Up

Post #208775628th Sep 2019 4:03 pm
dc130john

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Sounds excellent and looking forward to the pics:)
 D4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Galway Green Black Leather Adaptive Xenons Logic 7 TV Pre-heater
IID BT
Discovery 5 HSE R Dynamic 3.0 Ingenium Carpathion Grey
Devon & Cornwall 4X4 Response
Dorset & Somerset Air Ambulance
2EODZT Amateur Radio Call Sign 

Post #208776828th Sep 2019 5:03 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just waiting to see if an Optima Yellow Top 4.2 will fit.

D4 MY15 SE TECH

Post #20895804th Oct 2019 5:35 pm
tintenter

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

that looks just the job, interested to know if yellow top fits and also pictures of it in place to see how much space around it. Thumbs Up
 Tintenter
Corris Grey Discovery 4 HSE

Bigger permagrin now installed

Semper in excretum, sole profundum moveat. 

Post #20895964th Oct 2019 6:40 pm
Ceekay

Andy Foster wrote:
Just waiting to see if an Optima Yellow Top 4.2 will fit.

Is this the prospeed version then Andy?

Post #20895994th Oct 2019 6:54 pm
CIO

Here is how the battery looks fitted on mine. It’s a tight fit, but doable. I’ll try and tidy it up when I’m back in December.

Edit: added the image. Yeah I need to do some tidying up...

Last edited by CIO on 16th Oct 2019 7:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #20896064th Oct 2019 7:22 pm
Andy Foster

Yep that’s the Prospeed one Thumbs Up
 D4 MY15 SE TECH

Post #20896304th Oct 2019 9:29 pm
Ceekay

So did Ben have them in stock then and if so rough price please Andy.

(hope you havnt stole my reserved one Laughing )

Post #20897105th Oct 2019 12:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >