Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Rear View Cam
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Brucehun

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Rear View Cam

I fitted a rear view cam to my '07 D3 V8HSE. It however only works when you access the diagnostics page as per previous topics. How do I get the display to recognise that a camera is fitted so that the Home page shows Nav,Settings,4x4 Info and Rearview Cam. When I go into the dianostics page using code 753, although the cam is connected it still shows 'not fitted'. When i select rearview cam I do get the camera working.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post #13361427th Feb 2007 10:29 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have fitted one aswell ..unfortunatly i cannot get it to work "automaticaly" either.

I would suspect it some thing the dealer has to enable ..but i might be wrong.

Also there dosen't seem to be any link to the reversing switch ( iv looked at the wiring diagrams) from the sat nav screen Sad
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #13375027th Feb 2007 6:02 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Wiggs, I think it gets told about reverse over the CANbus.

If I go into my SATNAV diagnostics screen ( sorry, I can't find the post at the moment showing you how) one of the flags under 'Vehicle Signals' screen shows when reverse gear is selected. This shows that the screen 'already knows' it's in reverse gear, but hasn't been told to do anything about it like switching to a video input. I suspect there's a secret option somewhere that only dealers/LR can get to that will enable the automatic part - and that they probably won't do it to punish you for not buying a FFRR.

I'm guessing the CANbus is also how the rear view mirror knows how to un-dim when reversing, and the side mirrors know when to dip. I wonder if there's a forum for people who own this satnav/screen? If it was half as useful as this site it'd be brilliant!
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #13377927th Feb 2007 7:06 pm
wiggs

stapldm,

Thanks for that ..makes a lot of sence. Very Happy

One thing i diddn't know was about the rear view mirror "un dimming" in reverse ...very cool 8)

Im gonna scan the internet and find out any info on the screen ..but it would be nice to know if it can be enabled by the dealer (at a price no doubt)
Post #13378427th Feb 2007 7:30 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Dealer won't be able to activate it - to do this requires an engineerig code from LR themselves, these are only issued for things like CJB changes, immobiliser issues etc. and are only valid for a specific vehicle & timeframe...
adding a rear view camera constitutes a 'specification uplift' and LR won't issue a code for this Sad

Post #13386527th Feb 2007 11:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I wonder how long it will be before some of our perfomance upgrade sponsors start upgrading the performance of electronic controlled items other than the engine...It'd be nice to know you could bung someone £75 at a service station somewhere to have this useful safety feature enabled...(hint hint Razz)
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #13397228th Feb 2007 11:26 am
wiggs

10forcash wrote:
Dealer won't be able to activate it - to do this requires an engineerig code from LR themselves, these are only issued for things like CJB changes, immobiliser issues etc. and are only valid for a specific vehicle & timeframe...
adding a rear view camera constitutes a 'specification uplift' and LR won't issue a code for this Sad

Looks like you were right Very Happy .

Cars been in the dealers all day (few hours for some simple probs) , but most of it trying to get the camera enabled.They gave up at 5.15pm and phoned me to say "there would be no charge " because they couldn't get it working .They did say that if i had an entertainment package fitted it would of proberly worked...which didn't make much sence to me.After a lenghty discussion i only ended up getting the receptionist rather confused.
I will call back in Monday and speak to the "computer man " Rolling with laughter
Post #1348352nd Mar 2007 7:28 pm
wiggs

The saga continues.

Been back to Land Rover today.Got the technician to sit in the car and showed him all the diagnostic screens etc.Showed him all these so it would make a bit better sence.

He seemed keen to try and get it working.He said he would speak to Land Rover technical and get back to me.

Well just phoned and said as soon as he asked the question Land Rover said they would have to put my car on "LIMITED WARRANTY" due to the fact i have not fitted approved LR parts.

I thought he was joking and said "all iv done is plugged two coax cables into the screen"

We then had a descussion regarding what damage this could do ...little or none in my mind.

Anyway the conclusion was not to pursue this matter as if i did they would limit my warranty .

Due to the cost of the vehicle and Land Rovers willingness to get away without paying anything if they can help it , i have left it there.

Any 3rd party computer buffs (or maybee the Turbo Chip people) could make them selfs a nice little earner if they could unlock this safety feature.
Post #1356875th Mar 2007 4:23 pm
sniffmydiff

South Africa 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Cairns BlueLR3

Its been a while since the last post on this topic, but I thought I would had my 2 cents/pence worth.
I found a place that made me up a cable to plug into the back of the unit with the SMB connector for
the camera. The Landy was at the dealer last week and they setup what they thought they woudl need to
to enable the camera. On the 753 screens, under the Video Input tests, it says "Fitted" under the Rear View Camera, yet this still doesnt enable the input when selecting reverse. Most Evil or Very Mad
I will try again next time the car is in for a service, as when they did they work I did not have the cable linked in yet. Maybe it makes a difference if there already is a camera plugged in when setting it up ??

Cheers

Post #19251821st Aug 2007 4:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >