Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

So, here my reason why de DIII is the 1st and last...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Penguin

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
So, here my reason why de DIII is the 1st and last...

...and why it will be out of the door at end of warranty.

Since a month I had a loud squicky noise when activating the park-brake.
Called Land-Rover and they told me it might be due to off-road and it needs adjusting.
That already suprised me for, what they say, an off-roader
Ok called the dealer, and went to them.
After 4hrs waiting they told me it is broken and pieces need to be ordered.
Ok (again something broken)
step in my car, and see that I have a suspension error.
So I go back in and tell them.
"This is normal sir, due to the electronics one is linked to an other" was the answer.
Skeptical I thought "yeah right" and went home.

Monday I turn in the car for repairing the park brake system.
A call in the evening told me it won't be finnished for that day, but tomorrow.
Day after: Same story, so I ask what the problem is:
"Well the park brake is fixed, but now we have a suspension error" Rolling Eyes Shocked
That's what I told them a week before !!!

Anyway, they checked the system from front to back and top to bottem, with the assistance of LR UK...
They can't find it. All they know is that after starting the car, and touching the suspension, or driving some meters, all that can go in error, goes in error (YEP ALL)

I called them yesterday to hear the status: Still no progress. They are now changing the electronics from a new RRS to my DIII...

Called this afternoon: YES it is solved. It was a connector near a rear wheel, and a damaged power cabel under the car.

The car still needed to go to the yearly MOT, so that was the only thing thay had to do.
Guess what: I got a RED card Shocked
Seems that the front silence blocks are worn... After 1 year and 45.000km Shocked Question

Can you imagine if this happens outside warranty ???

It's a great car when it runs, when...

So yes, 2 years to go and I'll be back driving a Defender 110
 In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.

www.m-release.com 

Post #616702nd Jun 2006 4:00 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Ouch... That hurts...

But, hey, relax and take some time off...

Cool...

Confused Wink
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #616742nd Jun 2006 4:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I think that if you were being honest penguin you had already made your mind up to return to a 110 perhaps before the issues above had shown their face Wink

Why do you want to put yourself through 2 additional years of living with a vehicle that your not happy with ?

I know I wouldn't Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 2nd Jun 2006 4:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #616762nd Jun 2006 4:42 pm
Gurvan

I think that he was quite happy with it... Its films and other discussions shows it !

But the service from his dealer seems to be under-average and if his front silent block are done for after only one year then there must be a problem... Note, in all his pictures, his DIII sports a nice looking and quite heavily loaded gallery... Might explain the problem with the silent block...
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #616772nd Jun 2006 4:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

Excuse me for being thick - whats a Silent Block?
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #616782nd Jun 2006 4:48 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Don't get me wrong ...I would not be happy with faults either but as Penguin is well aware he has expressed in previous threads that he would prefer to be back in a 110.

Of course, he has every entitlement to a preference of choice but my point is why live with something your not happy with ....... Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #616792nd Jun 2006 4:52 pm
Gurvan

At the risk of showing my total lack of any technical knowledge Embarassed , I would say that the silent block are the pieces which are supposed to isolate the chassis from the bodywork and thus reduce the noise and the vibrations. I think that they are also called bushels, no ?

Now, that I have disgraced myself by showing my total lack of any technical know-how, I'll leave quietly... Wink
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #616802nd Jun 2006 4:53 pm
Gurvan

dickgriff wrote:
Of course, he has every entitlement to a preference of choice but my point is why live with something your not happy with ....... Confused

That I understand fully... Wink

And don't worry, I was not implying anything about your point of view which I respect fully ! Wink
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #616812nd Jun 2006 4:54 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Respect all round then Wink
Post #616882nd Jun 2006 5:32 pm
Gurvan

Yeah...

Nullus Anxietas !

Peace and Love !

And so on... Wink
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #616902nd Jun 2006 5:36 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Penguin, hope your next 110 is better built than the 90 Black LE I had from Sept 2002 for 3 years. Although no electrical problems, it had many trim faults & rust (within 1st 6 months). Also major breakdown in Denmark on way back from Iceland, just glad it happened there not in middle of boonies few days earlier.

Ended up selling it at the end of the warranty as it would have been too expensive to keep it in good condition.

Good luck

Derek

Post #616932nd Jun 2006 5:50 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Defenders have silence blocks too I guess ?

Will this be a problem ? Twisted Evil

sorry mate... does sound like your dealer is not really that good with the D3, maybe with the Defender, but not with the new tech.

Have you tried another ?

It took the UK dealer network a good while to get up to speed... so maybe they are still struggling.

-s

Post #617062nd Jun 2006 7:16 pm
MJ

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

The issues Penguin is having are very unfortunate for sure, but no more than we should all expect with something as complicated as the Disco 3.

A Defender certainly does have bushes (not exactly Silentbloc, but pretty similar) and yes they are trouble. I've done lots of radius arm and particularly Panhard rod bushes on Defenders that are not that old.

I also seem to remember a friend who had a TDI Disco 1 many years ago - in about 1991. It also had lots of trouble with bushes - 3 complete sets in the first 6 months of ownership. 2 ways of looking at this - 1) Landrover have used these things for so long, they really should have got it right by now or 2) You don't hear too many complaints from owners of Series 1 Discos or Disco 2s about bushes, so Landrover will sort this issue given time.

Post #617112nd Jun 2006 7:48 pm
JMC

Scotland 

It seems that people tend to forget that, if they want to use their D3 as a comp-safari vehicle on a regular basis, then it is going to need more looking after than a road-going (only) D3. Some people seem to think that they should be able to drive off a cliff (and back up again) and still expect LR to pay for the repairs though warranty.

Yes, it may be built for it......

Yes, it can probably handle it......

But I reckon that if you want to play with it, then you should expect to pay for it. Rolling Eyes

Finally, I would rather spend 3 years in a D3 than 3 days in a 110. Laughing

However, if I had to pay to keep an off-road toy, I would go for a D1 300Tdi Exclamation .

Post #617463rd Jun 2006 10:10 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Think the other side of this is that Defender owners expect to have running repairs, whereas Disco3 owners do not expect to have to carry out any repairs.
the same was probably true when the Defender replaced the 'Series' vehicles.
it's all down to expectations Wink

Post #617693rd Jun 2006 5:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >