DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Red triangle - engine run on...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jjames

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Red triangle - engine run on...

Hi.

I've recently bought a D4 SDV6 after a few years without my d3 v8. (Wish I'd never sold that!) I will update my profile when I work out how to do it! All has been well until last night when the restricted performance message and red triangle popped up. I've sent for a code reader but in the meantime I'm trying to understand the problem. The red triangle returns about 20 seconds after start-up

The only things that seem to be out of the ordinary are:

A more smoky than usual exhaust smell on start up(could be my imagination but I don't think so)

A very slight engine run-on when I turn off.

I've cleaned both MAF sensors with contact cleaner. The more forward one in the car was dirty but the other looked clean.

Do any of you experts have any ideas?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Post #20666537th Jul 2019 3:06 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

How recently purchased ? Was it private or via a dealer ? If you are able take it back to where you bought it then make it their problem. May be a quick easy fix, or more worryingly why the previous owner moved it on. .....
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #20666547th Jul 2019 3:09 pm
jjames

I think the previous owner - who I bought it from - was pretty trustworthy. I bought it a couple of months ago. It does just seem to be one of those LR things!

Post #20666557th Jul 2019 3:11 pm
CheshireDan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Have you taken the engine covers off, any sooty or oil deposits on the underside?

Post #20667537th Jul 2019 9:25 pm
jjames

Thanks for the reply. Yes I've taken the cover off, no oil apparent under the engine cover. Just from the online research I've done, it seems that at 108000 miles, cracked manifolds are likely but I don't want to jump into that without confirmation. Just looking at rigging up a smoke machine to check the manifolds. The thing I wondered if anyone would recognise is the engine running on slightly on switch off?

Post #20667587th Jul 2019 9:35 pm
Dartanjang

Sweden 

Another possibility is the exhaust crossover pipe. That can give the symptoms that you describe, especially the exhaust smell. When the exhaust system is intact there is never any exhaust notion about the car, but as soon as there is a leak somewhere before the dpf there is one. Could also be manifolds or turbo related but the crossover with its flexi sections is a rather common culprit is my conclusion reading this forum.

My car is incidentally in for crossover repair as I write. Good thing it happened at the same time as the belt change was due.

Post #20667768th Jul 2019 6:26 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Red triangle - engine run on...

jjames wrote:
Hi.

I've sent for a code reader ........

Do any of you experts have any ideas?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Anything other than an IID tool and you are wasting your money Thumbs Up
Any hope of a diagnosis without one is pure speculation Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20667858th Jul 2019 7:33 am
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I had the LH Manifold Cracked last year, and the other side 3 weeks ago..

Both times there was a slight run on of the engine after turning it off, I don't know if it's 'Cracked manifold specific' or because the limp home was activated, maybe someone here can confirm that (Flack?)

Mine is currently at LR (for the THIRD WEEK now!) 1 year out of used approved warranty..

An Indy quoted £800 fitted, but I suspect that they would have fitted a Britpart manifold at that price, I thought id try a goodwill at the dealer.

LRCS came back on Friday and offered to pay 30% of the repair, but because the dealer have dragged their feet I've asked them to see if they can offer any discount too, they have agreed and are working out a new price and letting me know today so we'll see..

Because they were taking their time I also squeezed a courtesy car out of them, I wanted a D5, expected a D Sport but actually got a Jag XE.. I expect the repair will be completed this week.

The Odd thing is, LRCS didn't give me the total cost but they said their contribution (30%) was ~£297, but that would put the repair at ~£990 which seems a bit cheap for a manifold replacement at the dealer..

Keeping in mind that the repair SHOULD include the replacement of the HP fuel pipes which are ~£50 Each and the manifold is ~£250-300 and the standard repair time is ~7 Hours @ £150ph, things don't seem to tally up yet, so I'll wait out for the final repair cost. I expected another £500 on top of what they've told me..

I expect they will try and charge me £150 diagnosis, which they can whistle for, as I took it in there, asked to see their 'Master Technician' and took him to the car, showed him the code on my IID, the oil on the manifold and the whistle.. he fully agreed that it was the manifold cracked, so if it took them a further hour then there's something wrong, I'm not a LR master technician, but I am a Scania one and it took me 5 mins to diagnose..

Sorry for the long answer, I thought it might be helpful to know the repair costs and possibility of goodwill from LRCS (Obviously this is based on vehicle history, age, millage, service history etc etc, but mine has had all it's services, however, the belts were done by an indy at 110K and I did the last minor services, I'm on 140,000M)

Hope this is helpful, I'll let you know the outcome when (if) they ever get back to me.. +

Good Luck! I hope it's not the manifold.. Thumbs Up
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #20667878th Jul 2019 7:46 am
Browny90

Also if you ask around, someone may be able to help you out with reading the code with a GAP IID tool, there may be someone nearby, or if you fancy a trip to the peak district there's a beer in the fridge Thumbs Up
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #20667888th Jul 2019 7:49 am
jjames

Thanks all for the help. I've just seemingly fixed the issue - for now! I drained about 50ml of oil out of the intercooler hose - by the bypass valve at front offside corner. This seems to have sorted it - still after an Italian service! Would I be right in thinking that oil in the air stream would cause the slight engine run-on? Is this a case for the upgraded LR turbo - sump pipe? Well done Browny for getting that result from the main dealer!

Post #20668968th Jul 2019 2:31 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

You MUST get the drain pipe sorted - I’m convinced it was the primary cause of my issues a couple of years ago and it’s not an expensive fix. It also doesn’t mean start up is like a scene from Memphis Belle
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #20669518th Jul 2019 5:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >