Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

REDEX and MPG
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
EMcC

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
REDEX and MPG

Now here's a funny thing that I cannot understand.
I always fill my D4 tank to the brim before going on any trips usually to the airport.
Driving to Heathrow and back, some 180 miles in total, usually takes the fuel indicator down to between half and three quarters at the end of the trip.
This time I not only filled the tank to the brim but also put a bottle of REDEX Engine Cleaner in it. According to the label the bottle was sufficient for two tanks but it didn't say what size tank so I put the whole bottle in.
Now here's the strange thing, when I got to Heathrow, 90 miles , my fuel gauge showed 3/4, so using up quarter of a tank.
When I got back, 180 miles, the fuel gauge showed that I had used half a tank.
I intended to check the MPG read out but before I could my son had topped up for me and reset all the trip meters Sad so I still cannot work out what happened.
The REDEX was supposed to clean the fuel system and make the vehicle more fuel efficient but judging by that it would appear to be less fuel efficient !!
My son didn't say how much fuel he put in so I still have no idea what happened, if he had, I might have suggested the fuel gauge as being wrong but it never has been this wrong before !!

Post #189008114th Dec 2017 12:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Bet he saw the pound signs rattling around and thought sod that its got enough now, especially if he was paying Mr. Green

Post #189011114th Dec 2017 8:21 am
janderson41

Scotland 

I don,t use redex. I add 2SO(two stroke oil) each time I fill up.
Buy it in Morrisons. As I usually put about 10 gallons in I add a half bottle to the tank.
Assists lubrication of pump, injectors in these days of low sulphur fuel.
If interested just google " Two stroke oil in diesel" enough reading for a couple of weeks.
Even just try it for a couple of fills. Easier starting. better MPG and no smoke.

Post #189102416th Dec 2017 7:06 pm
EMcC

I have to agree with Janderson and have been doing for some years but this was a 'One Of' so thought I'd give it a try after reading the bumf on the bottle.

Post #189103116th Dec 2017 7:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
icestationzebra

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Why mess around with Redex and 2 stroke? Use premium diesel and you will notice a difference.

Post #189154318th Dec 2017 12:12 pm
janderson41

Scotland 

hello Icestationzebra,
I forgot to say I never use supermarket fuel.
Don,t usually buy premium but use shell ,BP or esso.
Car runs better.

Post #189154618th Dec 2017 12:22 pm
EMcC

icestationzebra - why use REDEX ?
I thought I explained in my post but if it was missed here goes again.
On the label it said it would clean the fuel system and make the vehicle more fuel efficient so as a 'One of' and bearing in mind my trip I thought I'd give it a go having never used it before.
As for using 2T I have in the past used it because I had several litres left over from my Boating and motor cycle days and found it seemed to add something to my driving satisfaction - Ok clear enough.
I usually use 'normal' diesel but might one day, when I have an empty tank I just might try some 'Super Duper' diesel which is usually, in my area anyway, 15p more expensive per litre, just for fun.

Post #189159518th Dec 2017 2:52 pm
icestationzebra

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Not aiming to upset anybody but again why use Redex? For what it costs and what it does use a premium diesel fuel and it will do the same thing plus give improved mileage and drivability all the time. It is even easier if you have a Costco nearby as this only sells premium diesel at approx 17p a litre cheaper than a Shell garage.

Post #189208819th Dec 2017 6:28 pm
EMcC

Not upset, just that you asked why I used REDEX and I said that it caught my eye and having never used it before fell for the splurge on the bottle that it will clean the fuel system and give better fuel efficiency.
As I had a 180 round trip ahead of me I thought, having never used it before, that I would give it a try and I did !
I do not have any cheap fuel stations near me apart from TESCO, again not exactly close enough to me to warrant travelling to it for fuel.
I had some 2T left over so decided to use that up by putting it in with my diesel, it made a change from putting petrol in like I used to when living where we had real winters Wink

Post #189211119th Dec 2017 7:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >