Refrigeration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SWR

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Refrigeration

In prep for the long summer holidays this arrived today

An excellent deal from Devon 4x4.

It’s bit bigger than I realised but with two growing boys in tow and a wife loving her G&T, I am sure we can fill it.

Next step advice-
1. Do I need a fridge slide or not?
2. Do I need a transit cover
3. Is the remote fridge monitor worth it?

Thanks.

Si
 D3 HSE TDV6 Auto. Bonatti Grey.

Mods:
V8 Brake upgrade (front Only), Full height Luggage guard, Rubber mats all round, RLD spare wheel protector, Terra Firma Steering and Transmission guard, Smoooooth Nappa steering wheel, Clock on dash and Reverse home lights. National Luna split charge system, front and rear light guards, Danhag GSM (on loan), JE stage 1 remap... Zero money

Post #206910217th Jul 2019 10:56 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

1. Depends where you have it sited. If your boys want to be able to get their own drinks out, etc., can they access it easily and safely? A dropping slide is very handy but you'll need something to mount it onto anyway (e.g. a drawer system, or some kind of boot base plate)

2. They do help with insulation and also help protect your investment but for the price I've seen so far for my equivalent Waeco one, I've not been convinced to get one so far. These 'proper' 4x4 fridges are pretty hardy anyway. If it's sliding around your boot with a load of camping kit you may want to reconsider. You certainly don't 'need' one for it to work well.

3. I bought one for my Waeco and found it reassuring on two long European trips where we were draining the split charge battery over two days and then doing very long all day drives to the next destination - being able to check that the fridge was getting the voltage it needed and was maintaining the temperature required was reassuring. In this country though, I've never used it and it's still in the centre cubby. Generally the fridge is so efficient that even if it stopped during a journey of several hours, it would stay pretty cold anyway.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #206913218th Jul 2019 7:49 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi James

May i pick ur brains plse , also got a Waeco that does heat and cool, have u found using the ice packs any help to keep it cool please

At the moment using it to keep bottles of water cool for the dog , so wondering about adding some ice packs

Many thks Thumbs Up

Post #206913418th Jul 2019 8:21 am
James W

United Kingdom 

Hi

Do you mean help to keep it cool when it's not plugged in?
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy

Post #206913618th Jul 2019 8:27 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

gstuart wrote:
Hi James

May i pick ur brains plse , also got a Waeco that does heat and cool, have u found using the ice packs any help to keep it cool please

At the moment using it to keep bottles of water cool for the dog , so wondering about adding some ice packs

Many thks Thumbs Up

I also have one that heats and cools , but I think they only cool 18 lower than ambient temperature, so ice packs will help Thumbs Up when we go camping we keep the butter and bread in it etc and the big 80ltr we keep all the cider in Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #206914718th Jul 2019 9:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

Thks so much for the replies

Apologises , indeed that’s what I meant to keep it cool when the fridge isn’t plugged in

Suppose it also depends how long it’s left unplugged for, as indeed as mentioned they only cool to minus 18c

These were some of the ice packs I looked at

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Andes-4-Pack-of...1mUuwFyebw

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Thermos-Fre...Sw4WFbjlan

Many thks as always in advance Thumbs Up

Post #206915018th Jul 2019 9:16 am
James W

United Kingdom 

Well yes, it will definitely help - to what extent though, I'm not sure as I've never tried it. A Yeti or Coleman cool box filled with ice will keep stuff cold for days and days. I'm sure the fridge won't be as well insulated but it would surely help. I would have thought a good volume of loose ice around the bottles would be a lot more effective than a couple of gel packs in the space inside.

Post #206916118th Jul 2019 9:34 am
gstuart

Thks James and indeed see where ur coming from , so many factors at play of how long unplugged , temperature inside landy , etc, etc

That’s a good point ref the ice , all trial and error I suppose Laughing

Thks again Bow down

Ps, did once see where someone had put a coolbox inside a large plastic box, had trucking in the side of the larger box that came from one of the ac outlets , quite clever I thought

Post #206929918th Jul 2019 6:22 pm
SWR

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

James W wrote:
1. Depends where you have it sited. If your boys want to be able to get their own drinks out, etc., can they access it easily and safely? A dropping slide is very handy but you'll need something to mount it onto anyway (e.g. a drawer system, or some kind of boot base plate)

2. They do help with insulation and also help protect your investment but for the price I've seen so far for my equivalent Waeco one, I've not been convinced to get one so far. These 'proper' 4x4 fridges are pretty hardy anyway. If it's sliding around your boot with a load of camping kit you may want to reconsider. You certainly don't 'need' one for it to work well.

3. I bought one for my Waeco and found it reassuring on two long European trips where we were draining the split charge battery over two days and then doing very long all day drives to the next destination - being able to check that the fridge was getting the voltage it needed and was maintaining the temperature required was reassuring. In this country though, I've never used it and it's still in the centre cubby. Generally the fridge is so efficient that even if it stopped during a journey of several hours, it would stay pretty cold anyway.

Thanks James. All useful thoughts. I would need to build a boot base. The idea of front runner draws are very appealing but the budget cannot stretch to that. I think I will see how we get on during the first week and then re-assess after.

Cheers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 D3 HSE TDV6 Auto. Bonatti Grey.

Mods:
V8 Brake upgrade (front Only), Full height Luggage guard, Rubber mats all round, RLD spare wheel protector, Terra Firma Steering and Transmission guard, Smoooooth Nappa steering wheel, Clock on dash and Reverse home lights. National Luna split charge system, front and rear light guards, Danhag GSM (on loan), JE stage 1 remap... Zero money

Post #206939318th Jul 2019 10:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >