Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Rejecting a Car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Rejecting a Car

As suggested, I have started a new thread - I know how annoying it is when the topics jump about.

So.... I am contemplating rejecting my D3, which has a major recurring fault (in my opinion), is less than two months old, cost several bits of my anatomy, and just doesnt intil any confedence any more.

Has anybody done it and what should I be aware of? Limitations, justifying serious etc.

I would add - I would like a replacement car and not my money back - funny, but on the odd occasion it's got it all together, it's "one hell of a mota". Twisted Evil

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #1531831st Aug 2005 4:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Paul, there is quite a lot on site about rejections. It would help initially if you use the search facility and some of your questions will be answered. Once you have looked around, then ask us and we may be able to assist.

Initially you must prove that the product is not of merchandisable quality and I think winger ands ecosse placed a great deal on site about this subject.

Post #1532131st Aug 2005 5:35 pm
Mossy

Thanks BN. I have had a rummage through quite a few threads, but many are quite fragmented now especially when it comes to searching.

I guess it does all boil down to "Sale of Goods Act" and proving merchandisable quality - a very vague and difficult term to pin down without any fixed criteria.

What adds to my annoyance, and I echo Pelyma's sentiments from another thread, is about spending £50k on a car and then having the pleasure of driving a Ford Focus. Add depreciation (it’s a V8 so halve the above figure for present market value - Shocked ) and it irritates more.

If only we had a three strikes and out “Lemon law” like some of the US posts have mentioned.

I will dig on through the site – but I think its wheel braces at dawn with the dealer. Shame really, as they’ve been pretty good throughout it all and seem as frustrated as me by it all.

Still, it sure beats watching telly. Laughing

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #1532431st Aug 2005 6:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Again the reason I am desperate to get the data, to assist situations like yours. We can compile data to help if people only fill in the easiest of bits.

Go for it, no reason to keep a defective car or one that you are unhappy with.

Post #1532731st Aug 2005 7:04 pm
Pelyma

England 

Talk to Trading Standards they will help you through the maze, I've found them very helpful in the past Twisted Evil
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #1533031st Aug 2005 7:18 pm
Mossy

Hi Pelyma - I'll do that first thing tomorrow - what a very good idea. I should have thought of that myself. Embarassed

I think you forget you have consumer rights and that they extend to cars as well as your faulty wireless.

Trying hard now to think of an excuse, but I think it's safer to just say "how dim of me to overlook the obvious". It's all about managing expectations - that is everybody on this forum - just in case I post again.

Idea Just call me sidelight from now on!

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #1533631st Aug 2005 7:29 pm
CarlW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Just posted on the "What's Gone Wrong" thread but will repeat some of it here.

My advice would be to talk to your dealer first to see what the options are. It's much easier to agree an solution than to have to fight for one. My experience of a faulty DII was in the end quite positive. See below

Regarding the Rejection Process - I had a problem with my previous 2002 DII. I had repeated cold starting problems when temperatures got below about minus 4C. After about 6 visits to the dealer, one of which involved a visit from a LR technician (I know the dealers fit this description but you know what I mean!) I got to the point of setting out the whole process in a letter to my dealer, which ended with a rejection of the vehicle and the threat of legal action.

I've got to say however the dealer was very reasonable - they made me an offer to either replace my vehicle with a similar spec, similar age, similar miles at no charge (NOT really accepteble!) OR to make a very reasonable payment for the 10,000m use I'd enjoyed over the 12-months - and choose a brand new DIIa (they even allowed me to upgrade to an ES by paying the difference).

Overall they restored my faith which is why I feel comfortable collecting my D3 HSE on 17 Sept from them. Here's hoping I have no/few problems but I feel comfortable that my dealer, if given a reasonable opportunity to correct problems and they fail, will do the right thing.
 Disco 4 Landmark
Mercedes Benz SLK CDi
BMW 335D Touring
Defender XS SW 2010 - gone
TDV8 2008 RRS - gone
Disco 3 HSE 2005 - gone
BMW R1150GS 

Post #1536231st Aug 2005 9:24 pm
Ecosse

Mossy - can you confirm have the problems with the vehicle been resolved or are they still recurring/unresolved?

Post #1536731st Aug 2005 9:45 pm
Mossy

Hi Ecosse,

Some of the niggles have been resolved but the suspension / compressor is an on-going problem. The car is in at the moment, since last week, waiting for warranty to approve the replacement compressor and the part to arrrive, which I understand is on back order.

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #153971st Sep 2005 6:16 am
BN

England 

Mossy wrote:
Hi Ecosse,

Some of the niggles have been resolved but the suspension / compressor is an on-going problem. The car is in at the moment, since last week, waiting for warranty to approve the replacement compressor and the part to arrrive, which I understand is on back order.

Paul

Are you able to use the car or is it in the dealers?

Post #154051st Sep 2005 8:06 am
Ecosse

Mossy - let's take this in stages. First you have to determine what your end-game is ie are you trying to get the faults fixed, the car rejected, exchanged, or compensation for your trouble?
Then let us have your ideas of who you think should be responsible & why?

Post #154081st Sep 2005 8:20 am
Mossy

OK. The Car is in the dealers so I have no use of it. It has been there since Friday last week.

I would, ideally like a replacement vehicle as I have very little confidence in THIS vehicle's reliability (am I being unreasonable?). Excluding the niggles, the fault is a recurring suspension / compressor issue. If the faults had presented over several months I would be more forgiving than all in under two months.

If they could assure me that I am an extremely rare case and that once the said fault [the suspension / compressor issue] has been fixed it will not happen again - I guess I would add to this that I would like an "or we will replace etc", then I would be happy to continue with the car. NB I do still like the D3.

In any event, I would expect some form of compensation for my problems.

If I am coming across as vague I am sorry. I guess it;s a case of myself not knowing what is reasonable, what I can reasonably expect / accept and what I should push for.

I have plans to visit the dealership today as phone progress is not ideal. I'll see what I can establish and make my feelings known. LRCS, who said they would take ownership of the problem and call me back have failed to despite my repeated prompts.

I do appreciate all your comments, and the supportive and helpful PMs, so thanks.

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #154151st Sep 2005 8:54 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mossy wrote:
I have plans to visit the dealership today as phone progress is not ideal. I'll see what I can establish and make my feelings known. LRCS, who said they would take ownership of the problem and call me back have failed to despite my repeated prompts.

I highly recommend a personal visit, after two weeks of battling with my dealer over the phone just to get an EPQR raised I paid them a visit yesterday and made a lot of progress.

Si
 The End  
Post #154211st Sep 2005 9:29 am
Pelyma

England 

If its any help my car went in to the dealer on a Wednesday and fault diagnosed. I was given a Vectra hire car. I was warned it might be a slow process to complete. After 2 days the hire car had to go back and another part of Ford contacted me to offer a Focus or Mondeo replacement - I told them to poke it! Phoned TS and discussed with them. They told me it was unreasonable to expect a major part to fail after a few months and I had to give them a time scale to repair or replace, I should also expect a like for like replacement ( I still had the Vectra)

I therefore wrote a letter personally to the dealer principal and hand delivered it at 5pm on Friday. In this letter I gave them until Wednesday to repair or replace. Saturday morning DP phoned me very apologetic. He promised to have me in a D3 by the end of Monday and if mine could not be repaired by Wednesday would replace it.

Monday afternoon I had a call to pick my car up a compressor had been taken off the line at Solihull, couriered down and fitted. I actually think one was taken off one of theirs.

My advice is to formally document everything, put it in writing to the head man and be firm. I also warned them that I would take the Vectra off road, but I might have gone a bit OTT there!! All this I feel creates the air that they can't mess you about or blame anyone else, referring to the relavent legislation shows them you know what you are talking about and won't be fobbed off. IMO forget LRCS they always have been crap. Your dealer will have far more sway, so if you are stamping on his toes he will stamp on someone elses further up the line.

I didn't ask for compensation I just wanted my car back and that is what I got.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #154261st Sep 2005 10:54 am
Ecosse

Mossy wrote:
OK. The Car is in the dealers so I have no use of it. It has been there since Friday last week.

I do appreciate all your comments, and the supportive and helpful PMs, so thanks.

Paul

Need to look at 3 different issues:-

A) Rejecting the vehicle - this is something between you and the dealer (not LR) as it is the dealer who sold you the car not LR itself - you have identified the difficulties with this but if the problems have been recurring & not resolved then you could try that - best to return the vehicle with formal letter advising reason for rejection & asking the sales manager to call you to discuss & give them time scale to repay failing which you will have to raise a court action (but watch if your rejection is not sustained then you will end up with storage charges, have lost the use of the vehicle for that time & you will probably find that the dealer if they decide to reject your rejection will detail to you their charges for this!). You can however also reject and instruct them to collect the vehicle (but yours is with them at present so might be ideal time to try a rejection letter delivered personally!!!)

B) Sale of Goods Act - the repairs you are getting are not really being done by the dealer as the retailer (See Para C below)). Your remedy per the Sale of Goods Act if goods not fit for purpose (& with a high £ value car that is quite a high standard!) is to either (a) reject the goods and you are entitled to a refund rather than a replacement, despite what most retailers would have you believe or (b) retain the goods and seek damages (ie compensation £). The second course might be worthwhile considering - use a Small Claims Action if you are happy with the £ limit on it & you then have a simple DIY route with contained costs!! Rejection (as in A above) has to be done within a reasonable time to be effective & this is a source of much litigation with cars Wink )

C) The Warranty (guarantee). This is the interesting one Wink Everyone tries to claim that your contract for your car is with the dealer.. it is.. BUT, you also have a separate parallel contract directly with LR!!.. in the form of the 3 year warranty (it is not a dealer warranty). That warranty says they will put right manufacturing defects. Therefore if they don't (through their authorised agent ie the LR dealer, although you might also want to raise it by letter with LR CS who from my experience won't reply quickly and then show that LR itself has not responded to the warranty issue), you can pursue them 2 ways:- either breach of contract & simply sue for damages (again small claims avoids risk of cost escalation) or an action for specific implement ie get the court to order LR to implement the warranty & repair the vehicle (ensure that you have an alternative crave that if they fail in x days then you get £y damages & also that they have to supply similar alternative vehicle when off road).

For general information, the last course of action would also be effective for anyone who had a vehicle with defects in functionality that you could show was meant to be there - these might be the cabin heater timer if you could show that it was represented to you as having it; or the altimeter in the sat nav (LR have confirmed that it does not have the necessary facility to correct the altitude which in Scotland shows 150 feet high!! & is a clear defect in that system!)

Sorry to now put a disclaimer on the above, but it is provided for general information and as a discussion topic not as legal advice, and specific advice should be obtained on the individual circumstances of any given vehicle. Wink

Post #154271st Sep 2005 10:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >