Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Removable Tow Bar won't lock!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Robster

United Kingdom 
Removable Tow Bar won't lock!

Actually I cannot get the Censored to fit, that is my first issue.

Second is that I can turn the key either way but the green locky thing will still operate in either position, so if I COULD fit it to my car, there is nothing stopping someone taking it off.

Am I missing something?

Robin

Post #54137928th Oct 2009 4:08 pm
AWD man

England 

whe you say "fit" do you mean it slots in but does not trigger? or it will not slot in
 57 RRS TDV8
BAS Map
D3: Gone but not forgotten 

Post #54138028th Oct 2009 4:16 pm
Disco3newbie

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Make sure the 'hole' in the chassis member is clean, especially if the red plug has been missing and you have been offroad.

Then make sure that the steel pin at the back of the towbar is retracted.....give it a tap with a hammer if it is sticking out and it shoudl retract.

Then with some gentle persuasion it should simply slot into place and you will hear the pin engage. Twisting the green thingy wotsit until you can't see the red collar should let remove the key.
 Club RLD spare wheel protection
Club RLD skid plate
Club its all black
Club D3 - it's gone
Club D4 - just arrived and still all black 

Post #54138228th Oct 2009 4:19 pm
Robster

United Kingdom 

Okay, what red thing?

Maybe I am doing this wrong and doing it blind.

So, I bought this tow bar from ebay.

I looked under my bumper and can see a slot for the towbar to fit into, I tried pushing it up but it does not seem to go 'just' far enough for the catch to work?

Of course my next concern, if I can get it to latch into place, is that the lock does not seem to umm, lock! Crying or Very sad

Robin

Post #54139028th Oct 2009 4:38 pm
AWD man

England 

Sounds like (as a result of the red bung not being used) it's corroded inside the slot.

small wire brush and elbow grease
 57 RRS TDV8
BAS Map

Post #54139228th Oct 2009 4:41 pm
Robster

United Kingdom 

So I do not have to remove anything else, just push the towbar up int the slot and wait for it to click into place?

What about the lock issue, is this something other people have seen?

Robin

Post #54139328th Oct 2009 4:44 pm
AWD man

England 

Yep, just guide it up and it'll click (the green knob will rotate) and bob's your uncle.

As for the key, I've never tried to lock it while it's not on the car, I'll have a look now
 57 RRS TDV8
BAS Map

Post #54139428th Oct 2009 4:47 pm
AWD man

England 

Right, Just looked

I cannot turn the green knob at all when it's off the car, locked or not...

Maybe the towbar's in "located" mode as newbie suggested

It's happened to me before and I cannot remember how I re-cocked it, but I do remember it taking 2 or 3 attempts before I figured how...
 57 RRS TDV8
BAS Map

Post #54139628th Oct 2009 4:51 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

When the towbar is off the car, you own't be able to remove the key.

When you put the towbar in the socket & it is 'partly' located, just get a good hammer/mallet & hit it upwards at the bottom of the Towbar & it will then just click in place.

Very common issue. Once it's located properly, you will be able to remove the key & it will be fully inserted. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #54142528th Oct 2009 5:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andymck

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I sometimes have the same issue with mine (today in fact!!) I got mine from Ebay (Thule) - not that it matters I think but I have a red locking ring on mine. I found the trick is to lie on the floor and "wiggle" the bar in while holding the locking knob out. As others have said the locking lug really needs to properly locate in the chassis rail or you cannot remove the key. Once it slots home the key come out in the locked position. Each time I fit it I think I will not remove it and go through all this muddy hassle next time. HTH

Andy

Post #54143228th Oct 2009 5:51 pm
Robster

United Kingdom 

Okay, now I am worried.

I can take the key out of the lock, no problem and its not fitted to my car.

But I do not see how you could ever stop a key coming out of a lock?

Robin

Post #54147828th Oct 2009 6:58 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

if you can take the key out when its not fitted then the mechanism is a bit stuck. it need plenty of lubricant on all the moving bits - this maybe why its not seating properly. I had the same proble with an adjustable i bought
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #54148028th Oct 2009 7:00 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Robster, there is a small silver 'pin' on the towbar. With the towbar removed, if you tap on that pin, then a larger 10-12mm silver bit should shoot out. That is effectively in the 'engaged position' which youshould eb able to remove the key.

When you then unlock it, you shouldn'y be able to remove the key.

Just a thought, this is a genuine LR towbar isn't it? It has the proper LR logo forged into the towbar?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #54148328th Oct 2009 7:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gaza

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It sounds as though the towbar things it is locked in to position as the only way the key can be removed is if it is locked in place, or tricked in to thinking it is locked in place. I am certain the instructions are in the standard manual.

Try the following:

Turn the key until it cannot be removed
Pull the large green knob out
Turn it towards you

If it was in the locked position it will click and the silver pin will retract. You should now be in able to put in in place. Once it is properly seated it will click and you can turn the key and remove it.

User manuals are here - http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/extfree2viewlrprod/index.jsp - although there seems to be an issue as I can't open the docs.

Post #54173328th Oct 2009 11:54 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Here's the page from the handbook describing how to fit/remove the towbar:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...&pos=0

Circled in red is the silver pin that Bodsy is talking about. It is this that triggers the larger locking pin to shoot out when the towbar is inserted into its receiver socket. You can't see the locking pin in the diagram as it's located in the front of the wedge-shaped part of the towbar but I've added a red arrow to the pdf to indicate roughly where it is.

With the towbar removed from the car, the green locking handle should be pointing downwards as in the picture (exposing the red band) and the large locking pin should not be protruding from the front of the towbar. If it is, turn the green locking handle anti-clockwise to withdraw the locking pin. The green locking handle should lock into position and you should not be able to get the key out!

I would advise giving the whole wedge-shaped part a good wire brush and squirt with brake cleaner or meths. It might be worth pushing the circled silver pin (it's stiff so takes a bit of doing) to trip the locking pin so that you can clean that as well. Smear a little copperease grease on the pin and withdraw it as described above. I put a little copperease on the parts of the "wedge" that contact the inside of the receiver socket too (they're usually the "shiny" bits around the edges).

Ensure the receiver socket on the car is not clogged up with crud as it sounds as though the red blank has long since disappeared. (Incidentally, they're cheap as chips from the stealer - ISTR paying less than £2 for a replacement when I lost mine).

Now shove the towbar firmly into the receiver socket. If you don't do this hard enough, it won't lock. Really bang it in! The green locking handle should turn into the horizontal position (covering the red band) if it locks correctly. Now turn the key anti-clockwise to lock it and you should now be able to get the key out. Try turning the green locking handle. It will rotate a bit but shouldn't turn enough to allow the towbar to come out of the receiver socket. Give the whole thing a good tug - provided the green locking handle is horizontal and no red band is showing, the towbar should be very firm with hardly any play.

Hope this helps - good luck
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #54185129th Oct 2009 10:05 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >