Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Removing fixed towbar and dual leccy kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
al cope

England 
Removing fixed towbar and dual leccy kit

I had my fixed towbar and the twin towing electrics fitted at new, and now want to take them off to put on new D3.

It would look pretty easy, just 2 bolts through the chassis rails (one each side), and then unlock the center bit and remove (he said, probably well stuck after being in for 3 1/2 years). Are the bolts sleeved, is there anything else?

On the electrics, do these just unplug from behind the passenger side tail light, or are there any bits inside to remove as well (flasher relay?).

Cheers Chaps
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #51346231st Aug 2009 8:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

There's a few bits inside, fuse block etc. that go with the electrics, take a look at the fitting instructions on the OwnerInfo site and do it in reverse. Were they factory or dealer fit? If factory it might be easier to leave them fitted as there's a clip that goes in the top of the chassis that will be a pain to access without removing the bumper, though it's often not clipped in anyway so you'll probably be okay
 The End  
Post #51346531st Aug 2009 8:33 am
matt_tdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Use plenty of WD40 if the lever is siezed and keep working it till it goe's free

When i first got my D3 i had the normal towbar but no key...I bought the lock and tried to remove the towbar but it was stuck inside the chassis,it needed a knock with 14lb and it was out

I use a thin smeer of engine oil inside the chassis part now just to keep things free

Im sure ive seen on here something about the electrics needing to be programmed by the dealer or indy (wiggs) to stop the D3 raising into off-road while towing...

Post #51347731st Aug 2009 9:10 am
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Auto height only happens in low ratio box on selection of mud / ruts, rock crawl etc so it's not a big issue. When dealer is sorting car ready for you, just ask them to enable tow electrics on IDS. Doesn't matter that it's not fitted at that point.
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #51347931st Aug 2009 9:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

thanks fellas, I'll give it a go - dont see the point of buying a new one if this one will come off.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #51350931st Aug 2009 10:21 am
zebadee

Ireland 
Re: Removing fixed towbar and dual leccy kit

al cope wrote:
..........It would look pretty easy, just 2 bolts through the chassis rails (one each side), and then unlock the center bit and remove (he said, probably well stuck after being in for 3 1/2 years). Are the bolts sleeved, is there anything else?

Yes the bolts are sleeved & they are held in tension in the chassis rail & have a habit of "Springing" out of alignment, thereby making it nigh on impossible to get them threaded back in.

Have a look at This Thread & scroll down to post #10 where I tried to write up a guide how to get around this problem. (I’ll never make a teacher Sad ) Might not be the most clear of instructions you’ll ever read, but it will give the idea.

Post #51353731st Aug 2009 12:01 pm
al cope

England 

OK - leccy's are out (well the bits underneath anyway), as are the two arms going up to the chassis rails, but how do you get the "insert" bit out, as it looks like its behind some brackets. Do these hold the bumper on?

Also, I cant get the key to go into the center bit. It looks like there's a little flap (like you get on locks) that wont move. I've squirted it with loads of releasing spray, but it wont budge. Ideas??

Cheers
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #51364131st Aug 2009 6:24 pm
matt_tdv6

The bolts that hold the arm's on are part of the chassis weight bracket (Harmonic Dampner)

They stay with the chassis and you just wind the bolts back in and use the new ones on the chassis of the new D3

Post #51364531st Aug 2009 6:35 pm
al cope

England 

So leave that nut on the outside of the chassis rail as well (I guess so, as that clamps the outsside of the damper bracket)

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #51365431st Aug 2009 6:51 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

If your fixed towbar looks anything like mine 3.5 years after fitting it might be an idea to give it a nice coat of plastikote before fitting it to a nice shiny new car, thinking i should do mine, but cannot be done with the hassles of removing and refitting it, but if it was coming off anyway i would make the effort Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #51366231st Aug 2009 7:38 pm
al cope

England 

well finally got key to go in, but wont turn - AARRRGG, and its such a flimsy bit of crap, you cant put much pressure on it. Filled the lock full of WD40, try again tomorrow.

I will re-paint/coat it before refitting.

Al

PS - Slimer, it was dealer fitted, so only ONE clip fitted !!
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #51367531st Aug 2009 8:02 pm
matt_tdv6

PM Sent Al

Dont want to post on an open forum about getting the towbar off Thumbs Up

Post #51367631st Aug 2009 8:04 pm
al cope

England 

Matt - got it, thanks. I've replied - same reason

Al

PS - forgot to mention - when I took the electrics off from underneath the car, one of the looms protective covering was worn through. Looks like it was at the point it passed behind the weight.
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #51368331st Aug 2009 8:13 pm
al cope

England 

After much £*$%^*&*£*^% - its OFF.

Thanks for assistance those that emailed, you know who you are.

Cheers
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #5140861st Sep 2009 5:57 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

You may find that there are no bolts on the 2009MY chassis to attach the arms to. You will need to get hold of some appropriate stainless steel bolts and nuts. I cannot for the life of me remember what size they are - sorry.

Post #5140901st Sep 2009 6:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >