Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Which Replacement Aftermarket Suspension Compressor?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
monty1

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I did a hard reset after fitting it which cleared faults on the dash 👍

Post #22144121st Mar 2021 6:36 am
Allegedly

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 3
Which Replacement Aftermarket Suspension Compressor?

Hi monty,
Ah, had a sneaky feeling that might be the route to go.
Fitted the reclaimed comp today after a quick refurb of the drier components and yeehaa, it's a working fine....and no error messages up on the dash. I guess the fault codes are still 'in there' somewhere but as long as they're not staring me in the face everytime I get in the motor, I'm happy!

Little update...more for other novices thinking of doing this really....go for it..
Reclaimed comp arrived Monday pm from poshparts. Very reasonably priced and in great condition.
Completed the drier refurb and carefully checked the lid and body for any hairline cracks and applied a tiny bit of silicone grease to the two O rings.
I WD40'd every fastener in sight on the comp', just in case, a number of times.
While the drier body was off, I tapped the large nut securing the exhaust valve several times and shook the resulting dust out.
I fitted the original rubbers to the new bracket as they were in good condition and used new bolts all round, all from Advanced Factors. All fastenings, clips and metal to metal contact copper slipped incase it's me that has to remove it.
Bracket on to the comp and out to the Landy. Jack up and axel stand in situ.
The captive nuts/clips should have been simple but I managed to drop the bottom left one inside the chassis. Oh, how we laughed. Never thought the telescopic magnet stick thing one of my daughters bought me years ago would ever come in handy.....boy was I glad of it today.
Two schools of thought, apparently, about fitting the bracket on first then mounting the comp or the way I did it, both together. With hindsight, I think bracket first might be easier, if a bit of faffing about.
I got over the top bolt problem by using a ratchet, mid size extension, a universal joint (wobble, I think they're also called), another mid size extension, 13mm socket and I then secured the bolt into the socket using masking tape.
Laying underneath, with a good light, you can see the holes and the bolt. A bit of jiggery pokery and a shed load of swearing and it goes in. Right way or wrong way, it's in, secure and I'm no longer crying.
I'd already bought I kit to drill and tap the original compressors inlets from 4x4AirSeals and it came with push fit connectors....though these parts can be found online, up to 20bar wp and not expensive.
I fitted these onto the cars pipework, then the two new short lengths of pipe in the comp collets but I found they were too long. Incidentally, using an open ended spanner to depress the collets works great while you fiddle with the pipes.
I trimmed the two short lengths of pipe but with the fittings, they were still too long. I was just contemplating shortening the pipework on the car (which is bl***y awkward once they're cut as they're plastic coated copper) when it occurred to me I didn't need to do anything!
I'd originally cut the pipes fairly close to the inlet collets on the original comp' so I removed the push fits and just fitted the cars pipes straight in. Perfect. Wish I'd realised it sooner.
I fitted the front pipe into the blue connector then re-attached the elec' cables. Axel stand out, jack down and start up.
The comp ran for just under two minutes, refilling the reservoir I guess. I then cycled through the three height settings and it was good. Quick too. I noticed it would not move if the drivers door was open, if you're wondering why yours isn't doing what you'd hoped.
I stop/started the car a few times and cycled the heights and all seemed good. Comp running briefly, as required. Leak checked and bottom cover replaced with new bolts.
So, after a happy test drive, it's outside at 'normal height' and i'll check it all again in the morning but fingers crossed, it's sorted.
Thanks for the advice lads and glad of the heads up for doing a refurb', sound advice. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Stay safe
Regards Rob
 Don't try to read between the lines with me, you'll find nothing there.
Discovery 200 TDI long, long gone
Discovery 300 TDI long gone
Discovery 2 TD5 ES Auto facelift gone and missed.
Discovery 2 TD5 Landmark facelift gone
You'd think I'd have learnt by now..... 

Post #22148433rd Mar 2021 1:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >