Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Which Replacement Aftermarket Suspension Compressor?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Allegedly

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 3

Hi all,
Self inflicted fault and I'm kicking myself.....I've had the suspension fault - normal ride height only - up for several months.
Initially, it also said something about the compressor being too slow but that disappeared.
The compressor would start on starting, run for about 30 -50 secs then stop. Within a minute, moving or stationary, the warning messages and a 'bong' would show/sound.
The car didn't drop over night and handled fine at the 'normal setting'.
I kept meaning to get around to investigating and sorting it but....best laid plans etc..
With the freezing weather up here on the NW coast of Scotland, it seemed the compressor was getting louder and clearly struggling to operate at all.
Went out today and it was right down and the compressor didn't start at all.
I have read a great deal on here on the subject and so will check the obvious stuff first, fuses etc.
If it strays into the realms of electronic fault finding, I'm out of my depth, plus I do not own a reader.
I'll remove the cover and check to see which model the comp is but I've been looking at prices for the main two and the originals are beyond my wallet at the moment but I need the car so, has anyone fitted any of the cheaper ( £180 - £220) compressors and found them to be okay?
I've considered ones from breakers even and I'm looking to see if any refurbished ones are available.
I appreciate after market parts are a bit of a gamble but not in a position to go original fitments.
Any recommends on these parts will be very welcome....and I won't quote you!
I hope everyone is well and staying safe in these uncertain times.
Regards
Rob

Post #220986311th Feb 2021 11:33 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If you fit a cheap aftermarket compressor you'll be buying another one in a couple of months if not a lot sooner.
Given you allowed the problem to persist for so long, its likely your old unit is no longer serviceable as its likely to have been overrunning and is now burnt out.

So your options are: 1. Fit a new Hitachi or AMK compressor depending on which one you have. Or, take a chance on one from a breakers, and buy a drier service kit online as well and rebuild it yourself.
There is a Dunlop option as well which is basically a copy of the Hitachi unit, but it's better than the far eastern junk out there, assuming you already have a Hitachi fitted Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #220988712th Feb 2021 2:48 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The cheap ebay/amazon specials are worse than Censored

We had a local garage fit 3 of them, before they booked it in with us for an AMK Laughing

The Dunlop is the best of a bad bunch, and I've had faulty units out the box

This is definitely a case where you actually get what you pay for...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #220989112th Feb 2021 4:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PROFSR G

Shouldn't you be asleep by now Laughing
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #220989212th Feb 2021 4:25 am
garrycol

Australia 

Assuming you have a Hitachi compressor just rebuild it.

https://x8r.co.uk/land-rover-discovery-3-4...d-cap.html

Post #220989512th Feb 2021 6:14 am
Shane1000rr

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I just recently had this issue and had it repaired today My air tank was the culprit and was showing the same symptoms and dash in normal mode only warning and my compressor was working overtime causing it’s failure. it’s worth getting underneath and spraying some soapy water around the air tank Mine had gone at the welds Be hard to check this now your compressor not working but it’s worth checking it out once you replace it. I no it could be numerous things but it was definitely the case with mine.

Post #221011812th Feb 2021 6:16 pm
Allegedly

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Comments re the after market comps are pretty much what I'd expected to be honest, even if I hoped they wouldn't be!
I'd read some unfavourable reports re the Dunlops Mikey, so I'd ruled them out anyway. The 'Hitachi style' / 'AMK style' ones now have to go off the list as well, with the new info I have.

Update re mine....I don't have a garage I'm afraid but the weather today allowed me to get underneath, briefly, at startup.
The compressor motor is running but the pump side is silent, bar a few odd quiet noises. Again, it ran for approx' thirty to forty seconds then stopped.

Being optimistic, the positive I can take from that is that apparently, the electrical/electronic side up to the motor appears sound.
I've not had a chance to check the model yet, Garrycol, but if it's a Hitachi and can be repaired/rebuilt, I'll give it a go.

Sound advice about the breakers and a drier kit. Glad to see I'd been thinking along the right lines.
Ensuring I don't get a cheap charlies knock-off from the breakers is next step in that route.

As I'm currently unemployed, I've time to get the old one off, weather permitting, and see what's what.
If it can be repaired/rebuilt, I'll try that. If not, finances dictate the breakers etc.

Thanks again gents and stay safe.
Regards
Rob

Post #221024713th Feb 2021 1:53 am
PROFSR G

Either Hitachi or AMK can be refurbished but its a lot easier to do a full overhaul on the Hitachi than the AMK. Basically the AMK only lends itself to a drier rebuild, but often that's all that is needed as the motor and compressor head are quite robust. The only caveat being if either have been over running for a prolonged period which can burn the unit out rendering it unserviceable.

Take a pic and post it and we can tell you which one you have, you might be lucky with just a drier rebuild if its an AMK. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #221024813th Feb 2021 2:04 am
Allegedly

Thanks PROFSR G, will do. Pics may at least be a warning to those with the amber light to act sooner rather than later.....
Rob

Last edited by Allegedly on 13th Feb 2021 8:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #221025013th Feb 2021 2:12 am
PROFSR G

Indeed... and before it goes to red Big Cry
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #221025113th Feb 2021 2:23 am
Allegedly

Hi guys, hope everyone's well.
Update.
Dazed and confused. When I last used the Landy, it was stuck in the 'low' position.
Just after my above posts, I had to drive it a short distance and didn't look at the height when I parked up.
When the weather abated, I went out to take off the comp. The Landy was back in 'normal' ride height and said so when I checked the ignition messages.
I have to assume that it moved from the 'low' position to 'normal' ride height on the short drive before I parked.
The compressor is off. Hitachi, so stripping for refurb as per Garrycol's sound advice.
The covers two torx bolts came off fine, much to my surprise. But the central 10mm hex sheared immediately.
The comp mounting bracket was snapped bottom right and held on with one bolt (top bolt not inserted.) so someone's already had fun with this one. Mad
The collet on the small inlet pipe sheared so a kit is ordered from 4x4airseals to drill and tap out.
Everything was wire brushed and thoroughly soaked in wd40 for a few hours, left overnight and then re soaked the next day.
Drier off, emptied and cleaned.
All positive looking until undoing the four long bolts holding the inlet top onto the piston sleeve and one sheared. There was enough showing to get some grips on it. Did a cracking job of shearing off the threaded base. Big Cry
So, ad in wanted section for a refurbed or working hitachi compressor. Crying or Very sad
I will update as things progress...it can only go forwards......
Cheers
Rob
 Don't try to read between the lines with me, you'll find nothing there.
Discovery 200 TDI long, long gone
Discovery 300 TDI long gone
Discovery 2 TD5 ES Auto facelift gone and missed.
Discovery 2 TD5 Landmark facelift gone
You'd think I'd have learnt by now..... 

Post #221213719th Feb 2021 11:43 pm
Allegedly

Sheared threaded base.

Post #221214320th Feb 2021 12:01 am
Allegedly

Hi Guys,
Not sure what the site policy is re other 'sites' but I just found this and I hope the Mods' don't mind as I thought I'd share on here.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/f...533/page3/
Another 'novice', like me, doing roughly the same thing I am....and I know a LOT of others are too.

The point that caught my attention was the cracked cap. So, I went and checked the cap off my 'old' compressor and lo and behold, there's a hairline crack between the two coloured push-fit connectors, almost exactly as described in the above post and it's photographs.
I hadn't really appreciated just how important checking the cap very carefully is. Lesson learnt here.

As an update, I've wire-brushed, cleaned, primed and hammerited the chassis mounting area. The replacement bracket (new as 2nd hand were only slightly cheaper with postage) has been etch primed and hammerited.
There may be an argument regarding heat dissipation from plain metal but I don't think it's going to make a huge difference to that. However, limiting the the horrendous corrosion I've seen is a small price to pay for a bit of spray paint I already had in the shed.

All fixings and clip/captive nuts replaced from Advanced Factors at reasonable cost.
https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/air-susp...798-c.asp,
Standing by (with lots of copper slip for the bits) on the delivery of a reclaimed comp.....not arrived on expected date....

Besides the dryer components, any other 'maintenance' bits will depend on running results.
One question that remains to be answered in any of the 'instructional' vids I've watched is the type of O ring material in the refurb packs? The originals are b*****s to keep in place in their grooves once opened and neigh on impossible to get back in once they've escaped, despite a very light coating of silicone.
Are the replacement O rings a 'normal' rubber compound or the same orange 'stuff of the devil'....?
Hope everyones well,
Regards
Rob

Post #221412227th Feb 2021 7:11 pm
monty1

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

https://ebay.co.uk/usr/newparts-supply

Bought a compressor of this seller back in September, it’s worked without fault since I fitted it

Post #221420528th Feb 2021 9:56 am
Allegedly

Thanks Monty, I've got one on order from a reclamation company ....just standing by on it's arrival.
No worse guarantee than most other breakers, except those with full refurbs, and a fair price.
Proof of the pudding will be fitting it and seeing what's what. I'm looking for a IID owner near-ish to me to clear the faults.
Silly question but if it works fine, will the amber warning lights stay off without being able to clear the faults?
Cheers
Rob

Post #221430328th Feb 2021 5:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >