DISCO4.COM > General

Headlight LED Upgrade advice needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discobrad

United Kingdom 
Headlight LED Upgrade advice needed

Hi

Have just bought myself another disco 3 2007 (57) hse after selling my 2005 about a year ago

Anyway I’m planning on upgrading most of the lights to LED

I’m concertrating on the headlights at the moment, being an hse its got xenons and follow me home lights

Can any body recommend Led high beam bulbs and also the bulb next to the sidelight
Am I right in saying there both h7

Thanks in advanced[/img]

Post #18763976th Nov 2017 6:55 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

LED in the high beam is a no go, as is the cornering bulb, they will not focus, LED side/park bulb is ok Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #18764326th Nov 2017 7:55 pm
discobrad

United Kingdom 

Hi
What do you mean when you say they won’t focus ?
Thanks

Post #18764426th Nov 2017 8:13 pm
Famousfive

Ukraine 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

If you need the T10 type I have a pair of new LED ones that were never used that I never used you can have for a fiver Thumbs Up
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #18764526th Nov 2017 8:39 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

discobrad wrote:
Hi
What do you mean when you say they won’t focus ?
Thanks

The headlamp is designed so the light source (bulb filament ) is in the right place to focus (point) the beam forwards with a distinct pattern, you also need this pattern for the mot, the led light will be in the wrong so you wont get a beam pattern and will dazzle oncoming cars, weve all seen the boy racers with their super duper headlamps that are actually rubbish.

Post #18764856th Nov 2017 9:23 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

:thumbsup:neither will they fit through the apature in the reflector without drastic modification.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #18764896th Nov 2017 9:26 pm
Batfink

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Probably the best bulbs to upgrade the main beam amd cornering lights would be something like Osram nightbreakers as will give good light output and whiter light compared to normal halogen bulbs. I have found some side/marker lights which are led but look like normal bulbs when off. Haven't bought them yet as have just picked up a serious 4k blu ray addiction which is emptying my bank account faster than if I drove a V8 Laughing
 2006 TdV6 HSE.  
Post #18765036th Nov 2017 9:44 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I drive a V8 and changed to Osrams high beam and cornering lights - night breaker unlimiteds and lasers.

While people seem to want LED in front instead of “old skool” halogens, the latter give a much better beam pattern as has been stated multiple times. Whether you want to look cool or drive safely is everyone’s own choice. YMMV.

Thumbs Up

Post #18765226th Nov 2017 10:52 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

As has been said, no LED will match the focal point of the reflector, so light is dispersed and intensity lost.

The cornering lamps can be fitted with LEDs - I ran some HIDs4u ones for some time. They are not a performannce upgrade, but they were just bright enough to compensate for the dispersal given the usage isn't the most efficient or important.

What I run now however are modified H9 bulbs: https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic143957.html These are a real upgrade because they maintain the beam while emitting much more light. Thumbs Up

WRT the main beam, my advice is to forget any legal "upgrade" bulbs - they have very little performance improvement to offer given the restrictions imposed by regulations, they cost more and have shorter lifespans. If you want the cooler colour temperature look (PIAA Xtreme Whites are best for this), then they're fair enough, but it's inferior for vision.

Osram used to make a 65W bulb comprising of an H9 burner on an H7 base - meaning correct beam pattern, 2100lm instead of 1500lm and no increased heat output (if anything, slightly lower because of the more efficient filament) so perfectly safe for plastic reflectors and lenses. They've discontinued them, but these guys seem to still be selling them: http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/pr/osram-h7-super-bright-65w/ Non-E-marked, naturally.

Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #18766407th Nov 2017 11:02 am
garrycol

Australia 

Remember that the OP has Bi Xenons so the high beam is provided by this lamp. The Halogen "hi beam" is a filler lamp designed to broaden the beam and fill in the areas missing by the Bi Xenon high beam.

As it is not the hi beam but a filler there are less issues to worry about. My Halogen Hi Beams are those white Halogens and really there is not much difference in the colour over "normal" halogens.

As you have instant hi beam via the shutter in the Bi Xenons I would consider just putting matching colour HIDs in the "Hi Beam" spot. Yes they take a few seconds to light up but you have instantaneous hi beam through the standard Bi Xenons. Also the H7 HIDs have the same focal point as the H7 Halogens so the light pattern is the same with both types of globes.

Garry

Post #18766657th Nov 2017 11:36 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >