DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Replacing door latch / window regulator - Now with guide
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
LaSource

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Door Latch Additional Comments

Andy2484 wrote:
Thank you for the posts regarding replacing the front door latch. I managed to do mine in just under 2 hours today. I did it slightly differently to the instructions and thought I would share with the group:

1) I did not bother to remove the window guide.

2) I did not remove the window modulator. I just removed all the bolts / nuts and slid it out of the way to access the door latch (save messing around trying to get it out of the hole).

3) After fiddling around trying to remove the cables from the door latch, I found it easier to remove the door handle. To do this, follow this sequence:

a) Remove the sticker covering a hole on the interior door skin and use a torx extension to remove the bolt securing the handle.

b) Remove the external door lock cover (the one you use to unlock the door if the battery is flat or central locking not working).

c) Remove the grommet located at handle level above the door latch to expose a torx bolt.

d) Remove the torx bolt and remove the lock barrel.

e) Unhook the door handle. To do this, slide the handle towards the rear of the car and then unhook.

f) When the handle is removed, remove the rubber protection to expose a small oblong plastic locking pin. Remove this and you will be able to release the handle housing by sliding it towards the front of the car. You will then be able to remove the entire latch and handle assembly.

This sounds complicated but it was quite easy and it enables you to easily remove all cables and reattach to the new unit.

Thanks for the above.

Just to point out to other readers that if you are doing the front passenger door (RHD car) then the above guide is essential and (imv) the only way to do it. There is an additional cable to this latch which is extremely difficult to get to through the inside door opening....sadly I found out the hard way by trying until I read the above!

Post #176761523rd Jan 2017 11:24 am
mattyjee

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I just did this job today. What the hell was that!

What made mine harder is that the latch I took out had an extra motor and wiring harness attachment which prevented me being able to manuovre the latch to undo the external cable clip.
I give a thumbs up to pulling off the external handle instead of undoing the cable clip within the door.

Does anyone know what the extra motor is for? I just put in a new one without the extra motor and everything seems to work fine. I would think it is superfluous except that it has a corresponding connection to my wiring harness. If I google the part number (8X2A21813AC) it refers to a Jaguar.

Pic attached shows new on left and existing on right. Any help appreciated. My car is a 2010 Disco 4 HSE.
Click image to enlarge

Post #181680619th May 2017 1:28 pm
Azzybee

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi.

So I've bought the part and done this change today. Not too bad until I had to remove and re fit the two metal cables, what a nightmare.

Anyway when I remove the part the cable which has a metal rectangle part at the end that slots in the hole (which is tied by a cable tie further up) that bit broke from the bottom so it still fitted but was lose. I tried eeetrjig to secure it on but no avail. I still went forward with the fix in hope it'll work and after around 3 hours the same issue occurs; the door unlocks and locks and opens perfectly fine from the outside but doesn't open from the inside!

Could it be that I need a new cable or is there another fault with mine?
 Discovery 3 HSE 2007  
Post #18534202nd Sep 2017 2:19 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Sounds like the cable to the inside handle has not been fitted correctly.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #18539674th Sep 2017 11:03 am
Azzybee

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Cable to the handle had snapped one side (very small part but enough to make it not work).

£10 of ebay this time the whole job took less than an hour with great results.

All works fine now.
 Discovery 3 HSE 2007  
Post #186065623rd Sep 2017 12:10 am
Downsman

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 3

Just done mine, this guide proved very useful, thank you!!

Top tip to remove the outer handle with the latch mech to sort out cables outside the car- https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post1834457.html#1834457
 2007 Discovery 3 HSE
1986 Land Rover 90 Ex-MOD

1996 discovery 1 v8 (gone) 

Post #186819213th Oct 2017 5:58 pm
ajp888

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Hi quick question

My10 offside rear door actuator needed. Is the wireless a different part number or not relevant?

Thanks

Ps anywhere selling them cheap seem to be 110plus vat now Sad

Post #18765106th Nov 2017 9:59 pm
Phoenix1967

Saudi Arabia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol HSE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Hi, Well I've just bought a 2006 LHD 4.0 HSE LR3 which seems to have the same problem (didn't pick it up when I checked the vehicle!). It's the LHS drivers door that won't lock (all others lock and unlock fine) .

I tried the reset by holding the lock button in position and pulling the outside handle but it didn't work.

What's interesting is that even when I use the key to manually lock the car the door still won't lock, but the key does lock all the other doors.

My question is, do these symptoms suggest that the door actuator has failed and thus requires the lock change described in this post?

Many Thanks

Post #187898013th Nov 2017 7:07 pm
ajp888

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Quick update. The part number has changed again but LR would not share. He did say it started with a 9 though. Note this is for a keyless vehicle and was £145! Big Cry

Decided to strip the old motor down first and yep it was full of crud. Cleaned and replaced and everything is perfect again. Tested the motor in the bench for a while and works a dream.

All back together and re installed Thumbs Up

Couple of things.

Didn’t take the window motor section out just pushed it to one side.

And took the outer door handle off took 5 mins and thus didn’t even detach both the internet or external wire connectors.

Going to strip down the other side clean and rebuild

Thanks to this I have saved £145 plus 3 hours LR labour.

I had these motors in my model railway engines. Please consider just cleaning your motor before you splash the cash.

Al

Post #187949214th Nov 2017 7:07 pm
miniman8

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have this problem with my 2006 HSE nsf door will not lock or unlock with remote, at first it was intermittent but now it just refuses to work, can still open door from inside & pressing lock on inside locks door ok. Just to clarify is it possible to actually take the motors apart or is the crud you are referring to just inside the latch itself. I really don’t want to pay LR that much if I can fix it myself. Thanks Tom

Post #19104544th Feb 2018 10:14 am
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Before i go and order a new actuator, is the switch for the interior lights incorporated into the unit ? , my only issue is interior light not going out causing the system to stay in wake mode and flattening the battery.

Post #19125788th Feb 2018 10:42 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Bit more involved than defender

Post #19125848th Feb 2018 10:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Famousfive

Ukraine 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Tripe wrote:
What ever you do, don't try and muck round and remove the outside door handle cable from the actuator.
It's to painful to detach the cable, instead keep the cable
Attached and remove the outside door handle, cable and
Actuator altogether, once removed its 10,000% easier
to detach (and reattach ) the cable from the actuator.

Great thread, did this repair yesterday and wish had headed this advice from another thread.
Managed to get it all done without any drama until realised had damaged interior lock cable grommit when removing it as was really stiff to get off Censored Twisted Evil - part numbers anyone Question

Edit think its LR013916 I need

Helpers on the day Laughing

Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #191595618th Feb 2018 10:15 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

This diagram might help you, if you haven’t found a similar one somewhere else http://new.lrcat.com/#!/12728/54909/56197/4495

There are two other internal cables which look very close although one is from handle to mechanism.

I think what you have in your picture is FQZ000205 (ROD WITH LOCK BARREL APERTURE LH SIDE ONLY) rather than LR013916 (CABLE INTERNAL DOOR RELEASE CONTROL) because the latter looks a bit different at least in one end (a “cover” can be seen in the picture) but perhaps it is just the way you took the photo.

Post #191596618th Feb 2018 10:53 am
Famousfive

Ukraine 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

After having door apart again this morning to fit the LR013916 cable there are a couple of things worth adding to this guide:

1. The less you lower the window the more room you have got to un-clip the window. Today I wound the window down further today and initially could not understand why my arm wouldn't fit in the slot to reach clips as it had last weekend - couple of inches is fine

2. When you have finished and you are placing the door card back on and clipping back on the LR013916 cable that runs from door lock to actuator, the best way to do this is from outside of door looking in with the window down.

Great guide guys and girls - another repair successfully completed on the drive Thumbs Up Bow down
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #191834824th Feb 2018 12:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >