Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

AndrewS wrote:
UGLY

Sorted out that typo for you!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Not to be taken seriously, only messing.

Last edited by DSL on 10th Mar 2017 11:11 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #178952110th Mar 2017 11:09 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #178952310th Mar 2017 11:10 am
Phil B

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Why does everyone keep banging on about the 80s Scottish Rock Band fronted by Stuart Adamson?
 Java TDV6 HSE with Alpaca and a few other fancy bits
BMW C1 200 with too many options to list and the world's worst image 

Post #178952410th Mar 2017 11:16 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: Quick answer

Russell wrote:
BLFarrar wrote:
"Yes"
But the question in the thread didn't mention that...
I may read reviews....but I don't have or have to have my opinion made up for me......

Maybe those who have bought a D5 or are going to will have thier egos boosted if they read a review that's not negative...maybe.....
..but as said before I feel really sorry for those who have to buy a D5 because it's the esteem thing to do or what's expected of them......

Even though in (not just) my opinion the D5 is far from ideal in critical areas ....like providing comfort for passengers. Fundamental stuff for a lifestyle vehicle that's meant to carry passengers..

Note: Others on here have said the just the same as I have....

You clearly do not like the D5 and that's great because we are all allowed our own opinions
However please don't tar me with your view "ego boasted esteemed thing" I buy a car because I like it and because I work hard in two jobs which allows me to be fortunate enough to change my car if I want to.
Had I not brought a D5 I would probably have brought an XC90 twin engine for a change
As for posting in here people want to see about the new car and hear what it is like and there are things which aren't as good as the D4 but at no time have I forced my opinion on others or tried to belittle or be nasty about them because they do not share my view or because they are not in a position to afford one. As far as I am concerned anyone who has a Land Rover is cut from the same cloth and will always earn my respect

Hear Hear. Thumbs Up

Having looked over the D5, it's clearly a brilliant vehicle and very desirable.

The fact that it's not a perfect replacement for me and I'm somewhat ambivalent about its styling is my problem and opinion. I'd not dream of imposing them on others.

The interior and exterior of my 2006 HSE was near enough ideal for my needs. The D4 is a little too plush for me. So obviously the D5, with its beautiful interior and lack of proper split tailgate, isn't going to be an ideal replacement. This isn't being negative about the D5, it's just that the product isn't quite right for me. That's not to say in the future I might not own one. Life is full of compromises and I'm really lucky to have found a vehicle in the D3/4 that has met my needs so well for over a decade.

I'm really enjoying the photo's and summaries from those who already own a D5 or have driven them. I'm looking forward to a test drive myself. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #178952910th Mar 2017 11:25 am
Pollski

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I can feel a group hug in our Discoveries coming on Rimini Red Bonatti Grey Alveston Red

Well said Russell!!
 My16 HSE Landmark - 2016 - Current. Indus Silver
My11 HSE - 2011- 2016. Stornoway Grey 

Post #178957410th Mar 2017 1:12 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Another view...

Russell wrote:
BLFarrar wrote:
"Yes"
But the question in the thread didn't mention that...
I may read reviews....but I don't have or have to have my opinion made up for me......

Maybe those who have bought a D5 or are going to will have thier egos boosted if they read a review that's not negative...maybe.....
..but as said before I feel really sorry for those who have to buy a D5 because it's the esteem thing to do or what's expected of them......

Even though in (not just) my opinion the D5 is far from ideal in critical areas ....like providing comfort for passengers. Fundamental stuff for a lifestyle vehicle that's meant to carry passengers..

Note: Others on here have said the just the same as I have....

You clearly do not like the D5 and that's great because we are all allowed our own opinions
However please don't tar me with your view "ego boasted esteemed thing" I buy a car because I like it and because I work hard in two jobs which allows me to be fortunate enough to change my car if I want to.
Had I not brought a D5 I would probably have brought an XC90 twin engine for a change
As for posting in here people want to see about the new car and hear what it is like and there are things which aren't as good as the D4 but at no time have I forced my opinion on others or tried to belittle or be nasty about them because they do not share my view or because they are not in a position to afford one. As far as I am concerned anyone who has a Land Rover is cut from the same cloth and will always earn my respect

No - I don't like the D5 at all - not because it's clearly different to look at "the style" thing it's because it won't do what I need which is:
carrying at least four maybe five passengers in realistic comfort at least once or twice per week.....a fundamental feature.
carry bulky loads ...... usually every week without hiring a van.
tow trailers usually every two weeks.....large ones.

About a year ago "we" all glimpsed at spy shots, prototype vehicles at car shows, what we saw at Gaydon....we all wondered about suicide hinged the wrong way rear doors.....the non split tailgate wasn't spoken about till it became evident (from pictures) it wasn't.
I say we (which may be a mistake or an assumption) that most on here have a D3/4 & the vast majority revere the vehicle even with the odd fault or design oversight....a common set of thoughts & to an extent values.

The odd person said it was tired, needed streamlining, was out of date - which ten years in to the model life the vehicle clearly wasn't "new" & was to be replaced by what we hoped built on what was there that was good & improved or eliminated the not so good......more economy, a lighter vehicle etc etc

What wasn't realised was LR have re-thought the whole thing to be what we needed or wanted....more a people carrier than its predecessor at the expense of quite a lot....seven seats isn't a prime feature for most D3/4 was a 5 + 2...The two being quite usable for adult sized adults.

What's appeared as the D5 isn't to a lot of people's liking using the "looks" of the vehicle which now is more conformist.....being honest it's an amalgam of lots of vehicles "style".....not a factor high on my list...in fact not on my list at all
The function of the vehicle is to me (at least) paramount....this specific vehicle hasn't got to make a statement......it's a utility vehicle.

Yes - I would have been considering renewing my brilliant D3 if the replacement was a viable option, but leaving the well named "wonky-arsed" style out of the consideration equation - considering what the vehicle had to do - the D5 isn't on "a"or "the" list, to me it's all about function.

Personally I would never order an unseen vehicle (well before it was launched or seen properly) in fact I wouldn't buy anything unseen....always a risk but in a vehicle case could be a huge expensive avoidable mistake. I could buy (cash) far more costly vehicle but don't - primarily because I (me) doesn't want or need to.

Russell.....I too work hard in one job, so the funds I have are finite, I have been frivolous in other areas like having a mid life crisis sports car that is indulgent, useless in winter weather, not built for more than two people & minimal luggage.....but thats me (alongside many others on here & not on here). I'll leave out expensive wrist watches, up market coffee machines or real estate property.

I look at what others buy.....some smart purchases & some not so smart.
I didn't consider the D3 until it was well over the initial production / design / dealer imponderable support stage...."early adopters" are an extension of product testing but not with maker provided vehicles - vehicles bought by the customer ignoring "caveat emptor". I've only done this once with a Volvo that broke my heart with list of serious issues. Lesson learnt.
To me the D3/4 is in the same design icon league as the Jag E type, Citroên SM, SAAB 900 etc. Hard if not impossible to follow with replacement vehicles.

As I have said in this thread I feel sorry for those who have bought or are buying a D5 - they are getting early production run vehicles with far too small engines that are on a model that falls far short of what's gone before. These may be tough to sell on.
I don't have to post a picture of what I've bought for forum members to "ooh" & "arr" over, I don't have to justify it at the boozer, at work or the lodge or golf club. If someone likes what I buy & they see or just the opposite it doesn't alter my standing or boost my ego. I couldn't give a flying Censored .

But on an open forum (within the rules & bounds) it doesn't restrict me from making comment (if it's due or otherwise) sometime I will or may comments other time I may not. My choice.
If D5 owners, potential owners or afficinados take exception to this they will have to live with it - as for my needs a D5 isn't a smart option (or for that matter any option). If exception is taken by D5 owners or potential owners etc, it may be what I have highlighted as regards function is factual, but they disregard these very obvious factors preferring to be dazzled by "style", being an early adopter or something else.

Maybe the Defender replacement will fulfill my (& many others) needs. Let's hope function will dictate form with this vehicle.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #178957710th Mar 2017 1:20 pm
Ken

Hey Russell you found all the cubby holes

Best one for me is the slidey cupholders in the front centre cons Thumbs Up

Post #178960510th Mar 2017 2:16 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Yes Ken found them all I think and use the one under the cup holders lot. Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #178961510th Mar 2017 2:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Have you lads got the sunglasses cubbyhole above the mirror..... that is proper design Thumbs Up
 Peter  
Post #178961710th Mar 2017 2:54 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Think that the history of Landrover and the Discovery has always been evolution rather than revolution, then came the the Evoque and now the D5.

For all its practicality the D3/4 has always been outsold by the RRS , fact! and the Evoque is the least practical Landrover in the line up but has has sold in huge numbers.

I shall miss what the D4 has to offer when time comes, but it is clear my use and view is in the minority, car manufactures sell concepts and dreams, which is partly what attracted most of us to the brand in the first place. Ever see a Car advert on tv with any facts, or more than a few secs of the product itself?

With the end of the Defender last yr and now the D4 we are witnessing the end of an era at Landrover and like it or not the D5 is the new way forward Big Cry
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #178973610th Mar 2017 6:37 pm
Stuff

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

Oh dry your tears. The new Deafener will be along in a moment and it will be great. Even Derek will break open his wallet and buy one. Very Happy
 MY91 110 CSW, so long ago I can barely remember it - sold
MY07 D3 TDV6 HSE with all the extras - sold
MY10 RRS TDV8 Dynamic - sold
MY16 D4 SCV6 HSE
MY16 RRS SDV8 Dynamic 

Post #178976310th Mar 2017 7:21 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Got my next LR lined up, my folks' new D4 Landmark. Whistle Whistle

Assuming LR can get their elbow out of their ar.se and get the heating system sorted out. Thumbs Up

Post #178976910th Mar 2017 7:29 pm
Stuff

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

No need for heating, Derek. Sheepskin coat and string backed driving gloves, and you'll be toastie plus you'll look the dog's danglies.
 MY91 110 CSW, so long ago I can barely remember it - sold
MY07 D3 TDV6 HSE with all the extras - sold
MY10 RRS TDV8 Dynamic - sold
MY16 D4 SCV6 HSE
MY16 RRS SDV8 Dynamic 

Post #178977410th Mar 2017 7:46 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

U been rummaging in my wardrobe again? Shocked Shocked

Laughing

Post #178978210th Mar 2017 8:09 pm