DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Retrofit of 12/13 Infotainment into a 10/11 vehicle project
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Retrofit of 12/13 Infotainment into a 10/11 vehicle project

Although i already have a couple of unfinished side projects, this particular conversion project is something i now need to do not only for our ongoing software development but now that i own a 2010 vehicle, is something i would really also like to do as an upgrade on it.

All assuming that it is ultimately possible of course.

To start i have needed to figure out the core elements of both systems and identify how they are different and so what might be involved in retrofitting the latter to an earlier vehicle.

The 2010/11 Infotainment system is actually not too unlike the Pre 2010 one.

The heart of the system is still the same Integrated Head Unit (IHU) that provided the Gateway from the CAN BUS to the MOST BUS, Used alone in a FFRR, with controls via the Touch screen, Piggy backed on top of the Head unit in a D3 / matching year sport with controls via the front panel, and in a 2010/11 D4 and matching year Sport it sits on top of the CD mechanism and has a seperate control panel on the CAN BUS.

The only real other difference in the 2010/11 vehicles is that the DVD based Nav computer that lived under the Passenger seat has been ditched and sat nav functionality incorporated in a new HDD based Screen unit. The one with the curved stack of on screen buttons.

Otherwise all the other MOST BUS items like the 300 or 600 watt Amp under the drivers seat, Phone and so on are pretty much the same and are interchangable with eariler pre 2010 ones.

In a 2012/13 Vehicle the infotainment system has however been completely re worked.

To start off with the screen has again been replaced with one that is now the CAN to MOST gateway, but no longer has the HDD and Sat Nav functionality built in.

This has now been moved to a new all in one Most Bus connected unit called the Integrated Audio Module (IAM). It replces and incorporates the CD Mechanism, can come with or without HDD and sat Nav capability and also incorporates phone, DAB and radio functionality.

The Amp used is also physically very different and comes in 600 or 1200 watt variants. It has also been re located from under the drivers seat to in the rear quarter panel. I also suspect that any other item that is fitted on the Most Bus is also different at least electronically and cannot be interchanged.

Progress so far.

I have researched all the power, CAN, Mic, Aux and some other odd connectivity from the two systems and so far see no real problem

Fortunatley have a full 2011 bench test rig set up and have sucessfully managed to disconnect the old IHU, screen and all other items it uses and using a later facia loom only managed to graft a newer type Dual view screen and IAM with Nav and HDD onto it and have it mainly working and at least diagnostically communicating.

I just took delivery of a 1200 watt Amp and will be adding this shortly and also believe i have a TV tuner that is compatible. If anyone can help me locate a 2012.2013 RSE unit i would appreciate any help. I already have the newere type head rest screens and touch screen remote Thumbs Up

So far, in practice at least, things seem going very well, if this continues then the next stage is to apply this conversion to a real vehicle (mine) and of course fully document and photograph every step involved to share with anyone interested in doing the same.

ATB

Colin

Post #114391514th Aug 2013 6:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Bow down

…and I have only just learned how to decode canbus signals via a picoscope. Do you see this stuff in your sleep?
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #114392314th Aug 2013 7:09 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Quote:
Do you see this stuff in your sleep?

Yea, pretty much Rolling with laughter

I regard myself as pretty lucky to have that which interests and challenges me and my understanding the most also what i get to do for a living Thumbs Up

Having real hands on experience with all the wiring and ECU's we develop diagnostics for really compliments our theoretical knowledge and it is certainly time i moved this up a notch or two.

And i guess it is nice for members to know that i am personally a landy lover at heart and certainly not adverse to picking up some tools and getting my hands dirty Rolling Eyes

Post #114393714th Aug 2013 7:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ajsms999

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hello Colin,

Not the same I know - but similar. I have just finished adding full OEM RSE and full surround camera setup to my 2012MY car.
I have access to quite a lot of extra spare components & looms - will send you a pm - just in case anything interests, or is of use/help you Thumbs Up

Best regards
Andrew

Post #114394314th Aug 2013 7:49 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Colin ,clearly most of what you noted above is another language to me....and I know,and understand the reasons you want to upgrade .... However the '12 system has well documented response issues,and some units are currently going in for exploratory work,I'm just wondering if you might be better hanging on for a short period ? Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #114397314th Aug 2013 8:24 pm
robbo770

Scotland 

Hi Andrew,

did the transmitter work fine for the rear then?

did it just wire up an go, I need a FFRR rear passenger transmitter to get mine to wire up Sad

Rob
 FFRR SC 4.2

Rejected!! RRS2
Fit TDV6 intercooler hoses
Fast Road intercooler
De-Cat pipe
D3 to B4 front end Upgrade
OEM TV/DVD Screens+wireless Headphones! 

Post #114397514th Aug 2013 8:25 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cheers for your Help Andrew.
I have just replied to your PM

euangibson
Yea, i know all this kinda stuff can seem a bit much for many, but hopefully i can figure all the tech bits out and simply detail / demonstrate what needs to be done to achieve this modification in a simple enough form that others can then follow.

Unfortunately vehicle duties here in Cyprus are so expensive, this prohibits my buying a 2012 vehicle, so the next best thing is a 2010 vehicle that i upgrade to to 2012 specs, which also has the benefit of meaning i gain some real hands on experience with the 2010 and 2012 systems.

Yep i know there are some response issues with the 2012 V the 2013 System that LR currently seem clueless about the real cause of.

All the more reason for me to get hands on with a 2012 System

Post #114433915th Aug 2013 6:19 pm
ajsms999

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Rob,

All done & working fine - thanks (although I couldn't save the cable - had to buy a new one).

Thanks
Andrew

Post #114434515th Aug 2013 6:43 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

BBS SPY wrote:
but hopefully i can figure all the tech bits out .....
Yep i know there are some response issues with the 2012 V the 2013 System that LR currently seem clueless about the real cause of.

All the more reason for me to get hands on with a 2012 System

Good luck...then all I need to do is persuade the family that a road trip to Cyprus is a good idea,and you can fix mine ! ....thanks for the response Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #114446016th Aug 2013 7:10 am
kathk

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Re: Retrofit of 12/13 Infotainment into a 10/11 vehicle proj

BBS SPY wrote:

This has now been moved to a new all in one Most Bus connected unit called the Integrated Audio Module (IAM). It replces and incorporates the CD Mechanism, can come with or without HDD and sat Nav capability and also incorporates phone, DAB and radio functionality.

Does this mean I could add a HDD to a MY12 system with out one?
 2012 D4 SDV6 HSE - Heavy Duty, Alpine Roof, Sidesteps, modded LR RAI, Stebel Nautilus, Trailer hitch cargo carrier - Best Car I've ever owned
2013 Mercedes GL500 - Iridium Silver - The Missus' car <- new A/C right after purchase, new motor mounts after 40k km. No problems with the Disco whatsoever. Very Happy 

Post #114479717th Aug 2013 9:01 am
jack2006

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Colin

Did you manage to get the Touchscreen, IAM and amplifier from 2012 D4 to work together and recognised in settings of CCF? Having a problem with my 'graft in' because I can only select and view the settings for Touchscreen not IAM or Amp.

Thanks

Jack

Post #11535526th Sep 2013 10:17 am
jack2006

Forgot to mention that Touchscreen was found under:- Front Control Interface B (Type 5)

Tried to find IAM under:- Integrated Head Unit 4 (Type 5) - but nothing there

and Amp under:- Audio amplifier module 3 (Type 5) but as I am using a Logic 7 from D3 guess it will not be there anyway?

Above menus in Vehicle Explorer

Thanks

Jack

Post #11535556th Sep 2013 10:22 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Jack

As i stated
Quote:
this particular conversion project is something i now need to do not only for our ongoing software development but now that i own a 2010 vehicle, is something i would really also like to do as an upgrade

This means that we are still developing coverage for the infotainment items fitted in the 2012 vehicles, and learning all the details we need to know about what is different and how.

So currently there is no menu option or coverage for the IAM And the Front control interface is actually a Button / control panel

Because the new 2012 Touch Screen is now the Gateway between the CAN BUS and the MOST BUS and is therefore the MOST BUS master, it seems that you can only fit MOST BUS ECU's from the 2012 vehicles with the same screen and an IAM.

This would of course preclude the use of a Logic 7 Amp from a D3 and when we tried a known good one of these ourselves on our Screen and IAM pair which we have working, the MOST BUS actually stopped Working until we removed it.

Fortunately i have acquired a rather nice 1200 watt Amp for a 2012 Model, but we have yet to add this as we don't yet have the proper connectors for it.

There is a lot more learning, testing and developing to do yet, but we are surely getting there Thumbs Up

Post #11536896th Sep 2013 3:56 pm
jack2006

Hi Colin,

Thanks for update and I will hang on to the bits I have and try to get hold of a newer premium amp like yours. Looking at your other posts I have found the same problem with all of the amps for sale being Mid-line rather than Logic 7.

The MOST system for the last week has been running with the Touchscreen, IAM and D3 Logic 7 amp fitted with just the 4x4 display, sad I know!

Anyway that was until last night when the screen shut down and just displayed the parking display. The display has been random today and I did wonder if the MOST bus was to blame so it looks like I am getting the same as you have found.

Is there any method I could identify the correct amp for my set up apart from buying new from the dealers?

Thanks

Jack

Post #11537676th Sep 2013 7:20 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Colin

I am waiting for this to be sorted as well because I did a mates conversion the same as Jack2006 and I have the exact same issues as in there being no menu item for IAM selection in the CCF, we have the phone radio and sat nav working but no cd, or DAB or aux input recognized.. so get your finger out and sort it Whistle

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #11538186th Sep 2013 9:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >