Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

SDV6 alternator replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kimi

SDV6 alternator replacement

I've seen guides (incl. this forum) how to replace alternator for D3, which seems fairly simple. But same procedure doesn't seem to be applicable for SDV6. On the top of the engine there are much more pipes on the way and also the fan cowling seems to be fixed, with only narrow rim being removable and it doesn't seem give enough clearance to do the job.

How should it be done for the SDV6? From the bottom? Any guides available? I don't have a lift, is it doable without?

Post #204114028th Mar 2019 3:40 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

look for workshop manual on here
if you wont find it ping me your email i will share my drive with you to get it
Greg

Post #204114128th Mar 2019 3:43 pm
Kimi

Found the D4 workshop manual, thanks for the tip. Manual was for TDV6 but steps seemed to apply also to SDV6.

Overall it seems much more involved than on D3. Coolant needs to be drained, number of pipes, hoses and boxes removed (fan included ofc), working from both below and above. Has anyone done this yet?

I read somewhere that the wiring has more slack if it is disconnected from starter first. Any other tips?

Post #204116528th Mar 2019 6:34 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

good luck

Post #204116728th Mar 2019 6:44 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Easy enough, but there is much less room to get your hands in and disconnect the battery cable and electrical connector
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #204116828th Mar 2019 6:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kimi

I'm doing this now on my D4 and it's quite tedious task. There is so little space and lousy access. Anyhow I've now progressed up to the point where I'm trying to disconnect the last electrical connector from the back of the alternator. The problem is that despite all my efforts the connector won't come off.

I assume there is a clip I'm supposed to press and then pull it off? I've tried till my fingers are numb and bloody but it just stays stuck. Access is so limited and there is hardly no slack on the wire, so you cannot see what you are doing and you can just barely squeeze your hands in there and try to work with your fingertips. Any hints how to get it off?

Checked some images and this connector seems to have just one wire in D4 instead of three as in D3 images. I assume that is expected?

Edit:
I finally got it! Holy s*** what kind of task this is for D4 compared to D3. My arms have bruises up to shoulders after doing this. Hint for someone who wants to do this: reserve a lots of time and patience.

And btw. the single wire setup seems to be the case with D4.

Post #204980430th Apr 2019 1:39 pm
zinke

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Top tips from me for this job is.....

1, remove the small plastic panel from the front of the wheel arch and work mostly from there, you will still have to remove the fan etc to get the belt off from the top and to remove the alternator but I find it much easier.

2, remove the power cable from the starter and then small bracket from the power cable, with that out the way removed the bolts and move the alternator forward from the wheel arch, then working from the top take the power cable and the control wire off.

3, have tiny but very strong fingers that mover in any direction Rolling with laughter

Pete.
 IID, webasto software and workshop facility's available.  
Post #20507074th May 2019 3:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >