Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Reversing cam...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kernow

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Reversing cam...

Just adapted one of these - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224282 - to fit behind the removable tow-bar plate to the left of, and clear of, the towing eye (similar to the position as posted by Wiggs) . I used two galvanised hinges to make a u-shaped bracket, then locked with superglue when bolted and adjusted in position. Had to cut off all of one side of the plastic fitting bar (it's intended to fit above a long number plate) and left just a stub on the other with enough room to drill a couple of bolt holes. I used masking tape and a drop of red paint to mark the drill centre on the back of the removable plate.

Camera wired up (initially) via the light cluster grommet to a standard plug in the rear 12v socket, so always available.

Good points - cheap, looks neat, wireless, OK picture, reversible.
Not so good - Small screen, no AV out so difficult to wire in to GPS screen.

...but - you get what you pay for! Might have a picture if it stops raining...
 TDV6 SE Tonga Green  
Post #45813023rd Apr 2009 4:19 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Seems a very good price, would love to see some pics if you get chance Thumbs Up
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #45814523rd Apr 2009 4:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kernow

The rains have stopped - I've posted some pics in my gallery. The bracket hinges are actually only stiffened by the superglue, so it's possible to move them. Also - I found that a small rubber pad glued where one of the bolts would rest (genuine Land Rover rubber from on of the seat belt/lashing point cutouts on the rear loadspace mat!) gives a small amount of spring to keep the lens pressed against the back of the removable panel. I left the bolts long as a) I couldn't be bothered to cut them, and b) they're galvanised, so less rust problems.

The lens assembly is slightly oval where it meets the hole, which is circular, so there is a small gap top and bottom.

I'm sure others will have a better solution...back to building my ark.
 TDV6 SE Tonga Green  
Post #45845824th Apr 2009 12:25 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #45845924th Apr 2009 12:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Very nice Kernow, I like the way you can swing it out to use the recovery eye. Thumbs Up
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #45846024th Apr 2009 12:31 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

useful pics Thumbs Up

Will be interesting to get some more feedback from you in a few weeks as to how much cleaning the lens requires, bearing in mind how much dirt is attracted to the rear of the car usually.
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #45846124th Apr 2009 12:33 pm
Kernow

Thanks.

Yup - I was a bit concerned about keeping it clean, given the way the tailgate hoovers up the mud. Thought initially about a mount inside the swept area of the rear screen, but I figured I'd end up messing up the interior trim.

As a postscript - saw the kit on sale under the RAC brand in UK Argos for 117+ Stg. If you think that's steep, try Argos Ireland - 180 Euros! You have to wonder what sort of calculator these people are using.....
 TDV6 SE Tonga Green  
Post #45846524th Apr 2009 12:43 pm
catweasel

I dont like the position due to reasons above (only my opinion) but think your install is very well executed and with cover on is tidy Thumbs Up

Post #45846724th Apr 2009 12:43 pm
frenchy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Neat Job Thumbs Up
But what about the screen...is that just stuck to the windscreen like a portable sat nav unit, or have you come up with an ingenious mounting / cable management solution Question

Post #45851024th Apr 2009 1:43 pm
Kernow

The screen is designed with a sucker to fit onto the windscreen (which I don't like), and comes with a standard plug for a power socket. I'd ideally like to take the power from a 12v source, but I haven't yet had the nerve to dismantle the dash as others have done. At the moment, I just rest it in front of the ashtray and bundle the spare cable, which is quite good as I always glance down at the gear selector for reverse, but I'll use it for a bit before making a final installation....
 TDV6 SE Tonga Green  
Post #45856324th Apr 2009 4:33 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Nice One Thumbs Up

Post #45856524th Apr 2009 4:45 pm
Kernow

Usage feedback on the installation....

Reliable so far. Dirt not as big a problem as expected - I try to give the lens a wipe periodically. Rain is a bit more of a problem, as drops on the lens can cause distortion. Positioning the screen ahead of the gear selector, angled towards the driver is neat (with the cable hidden under the rubber mat fitting) if a little clunky, but involves no drilling/cutting, and I do tend to look down when selecting reverse. Screen is small, though. I have to tweak the brightness from time to time - not sure how well it remembers settings between power-offs. A bit fazed by direct sunlight or bright street lights, and sensitive to angle of view, but otherwise OK.

I'm sure there are better devices, but not for that money....although I see it's now gone up 20 quid!
 TDV6 SE Tonga Green  
Post #4638787th May 2009 3:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >