Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

reversing camera retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
HQU

New Zealand 
reversing camera retrofit

Looking at retrofitting a reversing camera on a '12 D4XS with touch screen with DVD. Have seen some great earlier advice on same topic but old thread now. For all you clever electronic whizzes out there, am I right in thinking that I can wire the camera up at the rear (to the power on the reversing lights I presume), run the cable and 'just' connect it to a pin on the back of the touch screen without any interface. Then after 'enabling' it in the CCF (?? how to do that) it should work just like a bought one coming on to the screen when I select reverse? If so, does anyone have the best place to go (on the WWW as I'm in NZ) for the hardware needed, camera etc? Thanks

Post #166149730th May 2016 9:47 pm
Alan308

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

How did this work out for you?
 Discovery 3 TDV6
BMW 320d
JCB 3cx
MF 178
Kubota b2150
John Deer x495 

Post #16791349th Jul 2016 10:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HQU

New Zealand 

Finally done all the wiring which was straight forward if time consuming. My 2012 had a power socket and Fakra video cable already plumbed in from the rear courtesy light to just below the gear rotary selector so 'just' had to do the rear wiring and fit the camera and take the front fascia off to wire up to the back of the touchscreen. BUT now having problems activating in the Car Config File. Local techs stumped but have feelers out as to which files to enable for it to recognise the camera. It's a cheap camera from ebay at the moment but all the same wring as the real LR one which I may change to depending.

Post #16877023rd Aug 2016 7:02 am
HQU

New Zealand 

After changing two files in CCF now works fine.

Post #16885355th Aug 2016 5:42 am
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

can you provide us more details (pics, diagrams, CCF items,....)?
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #16886055th Aug 2016 10:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HQU

New Zealand 

Sorry for late reply.
Probably best direct you to various posts threads on this site which I used and have great step by step pictures for fascia removal (worth getting plastic trim removal tools which are cheap from ebay rather than using a screwdriver as they didn't scratch) to get at the wires etc.. Just search topic49633 and topic87533. Also worth looking on the aulro site (the Australian version of Disco3) and search 'Reversing camera to D4 with touch screen" thread as that's where I really got started. Depending on which satnav screen you have there are different connectors to the back of the screen itself. If you have a rotatary gear selector, I do, it's a Fakra (female) connector to the back of the sat nav screen - C2820 the purple connector at the end of the inputs. There should be cable running through the car already if it's a 2014 car with one end under the fascia by the gear selector. You 'just' need to get and run a female to female Fakra cable, about 1 meter,(ebay: Fakra female to Fakra female RG174 "Z" RF 1M)from that to the back of the screen. that means removing the front fascia as it the first post. The rear end of that pre fitted cable, if it's there, ends under the fascia where the rear courtesy light sits. I'd take that bit off first to check you have the cable fitted. Fascia removal fro fitment of the rear cables is well done in the second post.
As for the camera and rear wiring itself, you can get Landrover genuine parts (LR043493: camera, LR021100 and LR071911 wiring looms needed for the camera) these wiring looms actually replace the ones there and just have the camera wiring as well so are rather excessive and expensive, but very neat. I first got a reversing camera that replaced one of the number plate lights from ebay for only $24 and came with video cables (theses were RCA video not Fakra so I needed to get RCA to Fakra connector (again easy from ebay) to connect it to the Fakra cable under the rear courtesy light). The power wiring for this can be taken from the empty power socket next to the Fakra cable again under the rear courtesy light. You just need to be inventive about the connectors or splice into the wires outside the connector itself. This is the plug the official landrover loom plugs in to. You also need to add a length of power cables to reach down the tailgate to the camera as the power cord it came with was only short.
The file changes in the CCF caused an issue with my local Auto electrician but somehow we managed it - sorry I can't be more precise BUT it took TWO files to change. One to tell the car it had a reversing camera fitted (I think this is the infotainment file) and the other to activate it. Towards the end of the topic87553there is discussion around this. You can get these activated before camera fitment, at least the you can test the camera straight away once you've fitted it.
Initially my 'cheap' camera set up didn't work that well so I ordered the Landrover parts but while waiting for them to arrive I fixed the problem, a loose connection, and it worked fine. I have just fitted the real LR camera and loom now and there is not a great deal of difference between them. The LR camera does show the tow ball and a wider view but ,really, if you don't want to spend a lot and still get a pretty good result the ebay camera would be the way I'd go.
Hope this helps. Those threads are all really helpful.

Post #169710127th Aug 2016 10:22 pm
cd.strydom

New Zealand 

Hi HQU

I have a few questions for you. do you mind if I PM you

Post #17307298th Nov 2016 8:42 am
Matt_Hosking

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Just ressurecting a thread from history.

I'm thinking of having a go at this on my 14 XS

This seems like a good candidate camera:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Direct-Fit-Rear...1438.l2649

Has anyone else had a go in the last couple of years?

Cheers,
Matt.

Post #199126512th Oct 2018 4:48 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Matt, read my comments in this thread, those cameras are not ideal, they have a very obvious disadvantage. Rolling Eyes
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/recomendati...74476.html
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #199127412th Oct 2018 5:11 pm
HQU

New Zealand 

I used that camera from ebay to start with together with various separately bought cables from ebay, just to see how things fitted. Overall it was a pretty cheap venture, probably only costing me about NZD60. It worked well and showed me I could pretty straightforwardly retrofit a camera. I agree with Narpy about the limitations, especially seeing the tow ball and loosing a good number plate light, BUT it did work well. I have however since changed the the 'proper' LR one. That was expensive and really probably not worth the price difference. It looks like now there are now much better (and cheaper) cameras that can be fitted to the right place rather than into a number plate light than when I fitted mine.

Post #199133912th Oct 2018 9:28 pm
Matt_Hosking

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

@Narpy .aside from the dim number plate lamp look, I couldn't quite see other disadvantages from the thread ? Smile

Post #199166114th Oct 2018 10:20 am
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If you're happy to go with your number plate looking half lit, go ahead, install one of those cameras.
I had one and quickly swapped it out because of that disadvantage. The one I replaced it with, the drill hole type, has a considerably better quality camera too and gives a much clearer HD image ( I think the number plate type I had was 720p ) which was a country mile better.
Couple that with a couple of LED handle lights to correctly illuminate the number plate and it's a bit of a no brainier tbh but it's your call.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #200487430th Nov 2018 10:23 am
moogser

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Any idea if LR043492 and LR043493 are interchangeable? Don’t think I’d ever get round to fitting the rest of the cameras etc for the full surround setup.

Cheers

Post #20056973rd Dec 2018 2:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >