Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Revs fluctuate when accelerating (and now terrible noise!)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well I've done about 150 miles so far today and "played" with it when accelerating on the motorway etc. Mine definately seems to be most noticeable from about 50mph. I did stick the window down to hear the fait whoosh, but all I could hear was the loud whoosh of the wind wizzing past. Laughing

I'll try and see if I get the same issues at 30mph as well. I have also noticed that I get the same thing with cruise control on and if I use command shift, although I have only changed gear when the car would have done in auto anyway.

Where is £10forcash based? I wonder if it might be worth getting my gearbox reset. How much did that cost?
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #4315392nd Mar 2009 5:01 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

10forcash is based in Derby although he travels around. PM him for a price to reset your gearbox. TBH, I don't think its a permanent fix, because it will soon learn bad habits again.

Post #4315452nd Mar 2009 5:22 pm
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have a similar thing on my car.

What I discovered that it is temperature depended, when I get out in the morning and temp is below around 8C, I get "rev hunting" (goes up couple of hundred revs, goes down, goes up, etc) at usualy 30mph steady speed, at night going home I am getting out an underground parking and the car is around 20C and I do not get "rev hunting". It is much rearer during summer time. I was thinking maybe it depends on the gearbox oil temp.
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #4321513rd Mar 2009 4:02 pm
Stu

Ok an update!

I was driving down the M4 today, having been driving for some time so car was well up to temp it had been doing it's usual surging from time to time - I generally notice it above 50 mph. Suddenly the car start to vibrate very badly, so much so that I thought I had a puncture. I slowed to get onto the hard shoulder when I dropped below about 40 it eased off. After a minute or so it seemed ok and continued to be ok as I increased speed up to normal speed.

It is still doing it's normal surging and mild vibration.

Any ideas? I feel that if I take it to the dealers I am not going to get anywhere, it will probably cost me loads for them to try things out and I'll be without the D3 for ages.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #4329584th Mar 2009 9:49 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Stu, that sounds just like the park brake is binding. If it happens again, check the rear disks for smoke/flames etc. Thumbs Up

Post #4330774th Mar 2009 11:39 pm
Stu

Hi,

I had the same thing again today, and it did feel at though the car was being held back, eventually it stopped suddenly and the car surged forward, in much the same way that it does when the gas is applied and the EBP is on. I did look for signs of smoke etc but there ewas none and after I stopped (about 30 mins later) I checked the temp of the discs, but they seemed quite hot, but not more than they would be normally - although I'm not expert and don't often feel my brakes!

If it is the EPB binding, do you know if I can remove a fuse, or do something else to disable it to test the theory, obviously I still need to be able to drive so it's no good removing the fuse if the car won't start etc.

Thanks

Stu
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #4334885th Mar 2009 7:35 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I've experienced the binding epb a few times, and each time it was when I had used the 'drive away' release feature that the auto has.

If you manually release the epb before you drive away, it might help. I can't give you any logic behind my theory, its just from experience. I remember well being stood on the shoulder of the M56 with smoke pouring out of the right rear wheel arch Shocked I stopped expecting to see a shredded tyre.

Post #4334955th Mar 2009 7:40 pm
Stu

I'll try and do some comparisons, but generally I haven't been bothering the the EPB, although when I have, I have used the drive away function rather than disengaging it. I'll experiment, but it would be good to know if I can disable it as well. Thanks for the info, how is yours going?
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #4336465th Mar 2009 9:50 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'm not driving it this week, I have been using the Punto for work, trying to keep the miles of it as much as possible.

Post #4336625th Mar 2009 10:01 pm
David Skeggs

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
motor hunting

After 235000Km my disco 3 motor still hunts

In auto "normal & in "sports" as will as in fixed gear position

Seems to hunt more when under load - first acceleration (not quick) and when progressing up hill (even a low gradient)
Always accompanied by a "whooshing" (whoosh – whoosh it can go on for some time if you do not change the accelerator position) - sound such as, that it seems to be an air leak - as if a flexible hose is collapsing with vacuum (negative pressure) once collapsed (open) the pressure differential equals & the "fault" "closes" and the sequence recommences

There is a power surge which even passengers feel

A college with a bmw had a similar problem; after 18mths bwm found a pipe "melted" on to part of the turbo - changing this removed the fault ...... perhaps
My own Land garage is perhaps a little like my colleagues but it is now + 48mths.

I also have the dead to stalling – but it picks up – this is only occasionally
I also have experienced the juddering that is mentioned – usually when passing through a roundabout when commencing to accelerate again only occasionally.

I have a hand brake problem (I do not use it now) when put on lots of grinding screeching noise & then you have to try several times to release it

Would enjoy reading some positive answers to these problems

David Skeggs

Post #4355949th Mar 2009 2:45 pm
Stu

A bit more info.

I was away at the weekend and I now have a terrible noise coming from the rear passenger side wheel. It sounds at though I have a load of tin cans rattling about - although much louder.

I am now thinking that I have 2 issues:

1 - The revs surging up and down and
2 - The noise from the rear wheel - which I think might have caused the violent vibration I felt the other day.

Anyway I have booked it into Guy Salmon in Portsmouth on Thursday so we'll see what they find.

If anyone has any ideas on the noise I'd be grateful to know what you think.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #4356939th Mar 2009 6:07 pm
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

You didn't just get married did you by any chance Whistle
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #4357009th Mar 2009 6:10 pm
Stu

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Love it!
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #4357029th Mar 2009 6:13 pm
Stu

Big Update

Well I have an update.

I took the car to Guy Salmon in Portsmouth.

They found out that the terrible noise is due to the rear passenger side brake having "broken up" so they have sorted that out, which is good.

The rev surging issue is a different matter though, they have determined to be due to a gear slipping in the automatic gear box. They say that it needs a whole new gear box! Shocked

So it looks like I might have bought a pup.

Does anyone know my legal rights? I bought the car over the phone without seeing it so I think I have more rights?

Lost my permagrin today! Big Cry
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #43778213th Mar 2009 3:49 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Further info here

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic32246.html?highlight=
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #43781813th Mar 2009 5:25 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >