Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Revs fluctuate when accelerating (and now terrible noise!)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Revs fluctuate when accelerating (and now terrible noise!)

Hi,

Wondering if you guys can shed any light on a couple of issue.

1 When I start up from cold, the engine starts but when the revs drop it stalls. If I rev to about 2000 revs for 30 secs all is well.

2 When I accelerate moderately the revs increase, then drop back, then go up again and drop back again speed does increase but it's not smooth and there is a slight vibration.

I don't know if the two might be linked. It has just been serviced and just had a new turbo fitted if that might have anything to do with it.

Thanks in advance
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Last edited by Stu on 9th Mar 2009 6:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4307651st Mar 2009 12:53 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have not got (1), but I do have (2)

Currently under investigation on my car. If you open your window whilst the revs are fluctuating, do you hear a faint Whooshing sound coming and going in time with the rev fluctuations?

I have not had a new turbo, and mine has had these fluctuations for ages, but its got much worse recently. I had some juddering, but since the 120000 service they have gone. 10forcash reset the adaptive memory in my gearbox and that seems to make the judders disappear.

Post #4307741st Mar 2009 1:12 am
Stu

So did getting the geabox reset solve the problem for good or has it come back? Mine feels as though the car is reading that there is too much fuel going in and is reducing the revs then it instantly says the gas pedal is down put more fuel in, and then whole process repeats. To me it feels like a sensor is giving a faulty reading, or that the ecu needs a reset. I don't know how the memory in the gear box workout I would like to know if that sorted it for your good.

thanks
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #4308501st Mar 2009 10:55 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The reset of the memory did not completely eliminate it, but it did improve it for about 200 miles. Then the adaptive memory learned my driving style and the fluctuation came back.

There has been quite a lot of chatter on here recently about juddering and surging (the proper term for the revs rising and falling under load)

Some have said that a transmission double flush is the answer, but due to the high cost of the oil, and the fact that most of it goes to waste means nobody has had it done yet.

I agree with your sensor theory, it would be interesting to know if you get the audible whooshing sound in time with the surge?

Post #4308791st Mar 2009 12:09 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Does anyone know the algorithm(s) for the adaptive gearbox control? (As if I could understand them if I was told Whistle ).

I wonder because my driving style varies with a psychotic level of variety, from a short shopping trip to a solo joy-ride, from gently with a cold engine to wild with loud music, from rapid on a smooth surface to s-l-o-w-l-y over the rough stuff and always moderated by the vehicle content (SWMBO, grandchildren, nothing, delicate furniture, mate to impress Shocked ). How does my gearbox adapt to that?

Question

A

Edit - perhaps we need a switchable re-map for the gearbox - with Meldrew and McQueen positions on the switch.
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #4308981st Mar 2009 1:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stu

I think that's a valid point, I drive the car and so does my wife, we are bound to have different driving styles so how does it adapt. I have only had the car for about 4 days, so I will see what the dealer says. Although I am slightly concerned that they are in Manchester and I am near Portsmouth!
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #4311891st Mar 2009 10:20 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I am the only driver of mine. The surge is much worse when towing a caravan, but still there when solo.

Post #4311911st Mar 2009 10:22 pm
Stu

Mine is pretty mild and seems to drop about 500 revs before picking up again, but I just want to get it sorted before it leads to something worse. Does anyone know if this affects certain age or mileage engines? Mine is a 05 with 90,000 on the clock
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #4311941st Mar 2009 10:27 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

54 plate with 120000 on the clock here.

Post #4311961st Mar 2009 10:28 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

HERE is a link to a video I recorded whilst driving my D3, towing the caravan.

Its quite long, and shows the instruments. Watch the tachometer, especially when the speed is constant at about 50mph. You can quite clearly see the needle bouncing in 1 second cycles.

Oh by the way, the police sirens are not real, the kids were watching Spiderman in the back, and the road noise is the STT's.

Post #4313372nd Mar 2009 9:38 am
Stu

Hi,

Mine is identical to that, seems to be at about the same speeds as well. I'm doing a couple of hundred miles today, so I'll try and see if it does it at any other speeds etc. I'll also try listening for the wooshing noise as well.

Thanks for the feedback.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #4313712nd Mar 2009 11:03 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
HERE is a link to a video I recorded whilst driving my D3, towing the caravan.

Gareth/Stu; does that surge still happen when using cruise control? I'm just wondering about excluding the accelerator pedal angle sensor from the mix.

It does look odd; it's like the auto box is undecided as to whether or not it should go into full lock-up. Does this effect stop when driving in command shift?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #4314072nd Mar 2009 12:21 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The same thing happens with cruise control. In fact, if you were (on a clear road of course) to engage CC at 30 mph, then hold down the + button. The car accelerates in the same way, with the revs climbing through each gear an a series of 1 second surges.

In command shift, it will still do it. In CS because you can apply much more power without the gearbox changing down, the fluctations will be even greater.

If you hold it in a lower gear using command shift, i.e more revs, and less accelerator application to maintain a speed, then the surge goes away.

It definitly seems to be a load dependant phenomenon.

I am waiting to meet up with TFC in the near future so we can hook up the Autologic diagnostics and go for a drive to see if we can get some real time data.

Post #4314372nd Mar 2009 1:14 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I'm surprised it still happens in command shift; my (admittedly not brilliant) understanding of our gearbox is that under stable load/speed conditions it locks the torque converter to reduce power losses, and does this in every gear using electronic feedback to determine when to unlock/change gear/re-lock.

When it does this, you cannot see the RPM change when you flex the throttle; or at least that's true in my MY2007. It takes some further event (kick down, engine labouring, high/low rpm etc) for a signal to be sent to the gearbox to unlock and start monitoring torque again.

It seems to me that you may never be making it into lock-up at all, or at least constantly approaching lockup and backing off. I'll look forwards to hearing what 10 has to say (it's always a learning experience for me when he's involved Smile) If the 'box is attempting this and failing every second I'd be upset if a code wasn't being stored.

You say that higher revs and less power make the feature go away, but remember at higher revs you're also pumping more auto fluid through the box too, so a minor restriction in one of the oil ways or a slightly under-performing pump, or a thermostat that's only opening halfway would make less of an impact.

Finally I know that in some cars the lock-up is withheld until the oil is warm; and this is achieved by a mechanical thermostat (some cars also prevent top gear selection in this case). Perhaps if the D3 'box has this feature you may have a partially failed thermostat.

Sorry, that's me struggling at and beyond the end of my technical tether, but I don't suppose you've had the chance to check the auto fluid level (in that sealed for life of the warranty unit)? I know that low steering fluid causes pulses in power steering effectiveness; can low auto fluid do the same to an auto box?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #4314942nd Mar 2009 3:21 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

When TFC did the 120k service a few weeks back, he drank drained a sample. We wanted to check it was a) the right oil, and b) was not burn't.

The conclusion was it was the correct oil (not red in colour) and it smelt like oil.

We then went for a short drive with the computer plugged in, but nothing was conclusive.

Post #4315052nd Mar 2009 3:45 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >