Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

rim size
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DiscoDC

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
rim size

Can anyone give me some input as to the capabilities (or incapabilities as it would probably be) of 20" rims compared to 18"?

I have a new D4 coming in but has 18" on it. I have the option of swapping to 20's. I know that the 18's would be the optimal choice when it comes to off road. Plus, will cost much less when it comes time to replace the rubber.

However, the 20" looks so bloody great. If we went for the 20's, would the Disco loose a great deal of its off road capabilities. I dont so see myself going through the Sahara, just the odd dirt track and beach driving.

Thoughts? Confused

Post #56822721st Dec 2009 7:30 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I see a choice of wheel rim size as equivalent to what type of shoe you wear.

Anything less than 18" rim is like wearing a pair of walking boots or wellies - not good indoors with polite company, but ideal outside when the weather is bad or the ground very rough / wet / snowey etc.

An 18" rim is like wearing a trainer - not particularly sexy, but a good all rounder as far as performance goes

A 19" rim is a shoe with a modest heel but quite broad and flat - like what you would wear to work or school

A 20" rim is a narrow shoe with a pointy toe and a higher heel / designer look - like what you might wear on a night out

A 22" rim is a pair of stilletto heels - you only want to look good and have no care at all for the practicalities or possible damaging consequences

A pair of narrow shoes with a heel on them (20") can still be used to get most places (other than up your local mountain) as long as the sole of the shoe has some grip (tread), and you walk very carefully, slowley and deliberately. You wont be able to run, or look up too much. But you will be able to get where you want to go - although if the path gets very rough someone with more sensible shoes might have to give you a helping hand.

Mind you, you might wish you had a spare pair of trainers in your bag at times Thumbs Up
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #56823821st Dec 2009 8:46 am
DiscoDC

Smarticus

I must say that I like feeling comfortable and being practical in a pair of runners. But there is always something about dressing it up with a pair of nice shoes.

I dont plan on driving up any mountains (I'd like to but the wife would kill me), but so so long the car can still do its thing on a beach. Although I can imagine that the dress shoes will be quite impractical on the sand. But will do the job.

I saw your profile pics. Nice D4. I see a set of dress shoes on it (20"). How has it been?

Post #56824121st Dec 2009 9:03 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

DiscoDC wrote:

I saw your profile pics........ I see a set of dress shoes on it (20"). How has it been?

We wouldn't have chosen 20" rims - we took a car the dealer had spec'd - but they have been much better than I feared. The on road ride is just fine and handling is sharp and looks quite good. We haven't ventured too far off road yet - but they have seen lots of deep snow recently (worked brilliantly) and have seen a fair bit of unsurfaced, pot holed, forest track. You do need to slow down for the big pot holes more than using smaller rims - but no great hardship there. We haven't tried anything particularly rocky yet - but heading off to Cumbria today - so will probably give them a run out on a few of our favourite lanes over there this week.

One other thing though - the 20" wheels we have will take a lot of keeping clean as there are numerous nooks, crannies & corners for brake dust and dirt to hide in.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #56824621st Dec 2009 9:15 am
DiscoDC

I have to find out which one of the two 20" variants we have to opt for. But yes I can understand the pain with cleaning.

We also bought one off the floor but had 19". We loved it but had troubles with the car itself. http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=568239#568239

Hence now we have a new one coming but has 18" on it. Have the option of getting 20" as a swap for another 2.7 that arrives the same time. Just have to weigh up wether they will be right for the driving we will be doing.

Going by the driving you have done I am sure they will be fine. Let me know how you go with your rocky road drive!

Post #56825221st Dec 2009 9:33 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

Getting on/off the beach will be a little hairy with the 20" rims - you'll have very little flotation available, as they really don't bag out when aired down. And rim damage is virtually a given. Most beaches are fairly firm during the summer months, so once on, you'd be okay.

I'd stick with the 18" - or maybe get a second set of 18" rims for beach driving, if you really want the 20" rims around town. Dynamic 4x4 should have a reasonably priced steel 18" rim available Feb ~ March next year.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #56874022nd Dec 2009 2:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDC

Gordon

They were my original thoughts. Having done some driving on sand before, I realise the importance of the tyre's ability to float on the sand. Like you said, not much air to release from the 20's.

I just had a drive of a demo with 20's. Looks great (expected) and a little bumpy (also expected). Handles great too. But I just know that I will have some grief when it comes to a bit of the of road stuff, particularly the beach.

I will probably have to sacrifice looks of the dressy shoes for practicality and capabilities of the runners.

Cheers Mate

Post #56875122nd Dec 2009 4:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >