Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Rise in theft of D3/D4’s.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
s60r

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Rise in theft of D3/D4’s.

Morning,

In my area there is a real rise in the above. I know it’s always been a weakness but lately it’s even made the local news. The final straw for me was a parent at the school losing his d4 full of tools from his driveway yesterday.

Without discussing the well documented weaknesses of our cars on a public forum….I have one simple question.

Will removing the OBD port stop most thefts?

I can relocate the port easily and I’m off today….so I’m doing it anyway….. but just wanted to check most are in agreement that the OBD port is the way in which most are taken?

Thanks all

Smile
 A mod a week until I have nothing to improve or add.  
Post #229965512th Jul 2022 9:05 am
Famousfive

Ukraine 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I'd say that's right - some look to be stolen by amplifying the key from a home etc but the serious thieves look to be using an OBD tool that looks like it can start a motor in seconds Big Cry
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #229965712th Jul 2022 9:15 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Not necessarily. My neighbour had his 2016 RRS stolen recently. Camera evidence shows someone just walked up to it, and used what appeared to be a cloned key to open it. They did not break in.

They obviously had the key ready to steal it, as they simply walked through the hedge, unlocked it, started it and drove away. We have no idea how the cloned key was obtained, as he had not had it long. It came from a main dealer.

It was found shortly afterwards parked up about 25 miles from where it was taken. The LR remote app led the police to it. They obviously weren’t clever enough to disable that.

It’s very disturbing what can be done with these supposedly more secure high tech systems. He now has a steering lock, as do I on my new Defender.

Post #229965812th Jul 2022 9:21 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for all the heads up.
Was the 2016 RRS key handed over for a car wash or to a garage? Would have thought it would be worth letting the dealership know, in case it’s an inside job.
Aren’t all cars susceptible? It can’t be just Land Rovers , can it?
D3/4s are getting on a bit now. Why is it they are such a target? perhaps the answer to that lies in the answer to my question about susceptibility.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #229966312th Jul 2022 9:41 am
s60r

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Gareth wrote:
Not necessarily. My neighbour had his 2016 RRS stolen recently. Camera evidence shows someone just walked up to it, and used what appeared to be a cloned key to open it. They did not break in.

They obviously had the key ready to steal it, as they simply walked through the hedge, unlocked it, started it and drove away. We have no idea how the cloned key was obtained, as he had not had it long. It came from a main dealer.

It was found shortly afterwards parked up about 25 miles from where it was taken. The LR remote app led the police to it. They obviously weren’t clever enough to disable that.

It’s very disturbing what can be done with these supposedly more secure high tech systems. He now has a steering lock, as do I on my new Defender.

That's not good Gareth.... just a quick question on that though.... was his key less entry?

I believe the key less entry is actually easier to clone than the standard entry and key less go.

Its crazy we are going back to the 90's and fitting steering locks to cars! I appreciate the thief is now way more sophisticated but that seems ridiculous! I will use one myself though if I had to leave it somewhere.
Post #229966612th Jul 2022 10:03 am
s60r

OBD port removed.

Takes 5 minutes. its now hidden somewhere else.... just un-pick the loom and you get plenty of slack.

Also added "Attention! OBD Port immobilised" stickers to front windows.

I'm sure that will stop them in their tracks! Laughing

Oh well.... at least I've made it harder.
Post #229971112th Jul 2022 4:45 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Well done. Some on here have installed a dummy OBD port that provides power only to anything plugged into it.
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #229971712th Jul 2022 5:51 pm
pwheeldon

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I suggested getting a dummy OBD port and connecting the power pins to an inverter, I'm sure that's cause some damage to their equipment!
 Discovery 4 GS 2009 Auto Stornoway Grey
Discovery 3 s 2005 Auto Bonatti Grey Gone
Discovery 3 SE 2005 Manual Zambezi Silver Gone
Range Rover Sport HSE 2006 Black
Aston Martin DB7 VV 

Post #229972212th Jul 2022 6:30 pm
KevinD3

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just remember you’ve done it before you plug your own gap in at the weekend Smile
 2008 HSE Stornoway Grey

My Wife thinks the D3 is a hobby, The D3 thinks the wife is 💕 

Post #229972712th Jul 2022 6:53 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I used a dummy obd plug which is brilliant.. you can plug your device in and it will get power to think that the plug is live but it cannot communicate with the car….

Even fooled the main dealer the other day when I forget all about it when it went in for service..

Personally I wouldn’t put the stickers on to show what you had done…

All these stolen cars are recirculated either as parts or as complete rung vehicles so if you are looking to purchase be doubly doubly cautious particularly with a private sale… this is their day job and they are very good at it… if you buy a stolen one you lose all recourse to the monies you paid for it!

Post #229974212th Jul 2022 8:25 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes my mates RRS was keyless entry, same key as my old D4 so I presume same system. My new Defender has keyless, but I have to press a button on the handle, the D4 / RRS keyless your just put your hand on the handle. Some say it’s better turned off and rely on the buttons on the fob?

Post #229976312th Jul 2022 10:19 pm
Moleshome

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

I disabled the keyless entry on mine a couple of weeks ago. It's nice to have but I'd rather have the peace of mind that at least they can't do a relay attack.

Post #229976412th Jul 2022 10:31 pm
s60r

Attempted theft…. Thoughts?

So to update this….

I had an attempted theft last night. Whole thing on my Ring Cameras and lasts 1.07.
3 large men, balaclavas, gloves and hoods up.

I haven’t been out to see the damage yet, but it seems I may have left the car unlocked (luckily) or they unlocked the car prior to coming onto the driveway.

1 man opens the car door and has a small handheld device in his hand and feels for the OBD. 1 stands on my door step holding the door handle upwards and one stands next to him ready to tackle anyone opening the door to the house.

Well practiced, didn’t look for anything else in the car or look at the 2 other cars on driveway. They were here for one reason only.

My OBD port is hidden, I know where it is and it still took me 5 minutes to get it the other day when replacing the battery…..I’m really glad I removed it or my car would be gone this morning.

The question is…. What do I do with the video? We all know police won’t even visit or have time to do anything…. Anything else worth doing? Are they likely to try again after a failure?

Thanks for any thoughts
Post #231066312th Oct 2022 6:22 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds like you already did the best thing, by removing the OBD. It was obviously a targeted attempt, not an opertunistic passing by. If you did leave it unlocked, that possibly saved some damage. Not much else do do. If they want to try they will, and you don't want to get into a confrontation on the drive.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #231067012th Oct 2022 7:33 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

s60r - Glad to hear your car wasn't stolen or damaged.

I suggest sending the video to the police, as they may tie it in with other offences.

I'm pretty close to West Sussex - whereabouts are you please?

Good luck

NJSS

Post #231067612th Oct 2022 8:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >