Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Fuel Burning Heater
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
steamraiser2

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
Fuel Burning Heater

My FBH is usually started by calling it up through an Altox controller from my phone. It has probably only started automatically two or three times in the 12 years I have owned it. All of a sudden it appears to have developed a fault.

The Altox unit appears to initiate with the dash "on" light illuminating when the phone signal arrives. I can hear a ticking noise from the FBH for a few seconds but no signs of life beyond the very faintest indication of heat for a second or two (Glow plug perhaps?). Barely noticeable by touch but clear on my digital thermometer. No smoke from the exhaust not even when I give it a sniff of ether up the air intake.

The Disco is coming up for its 340000 mile service next month and I would like to sort the FBH out at the same time. Has anyone got any idea what the fault could be? I have no idea how to prime the fuel pump or check that the pump works. I have managed to lock it out before and removing fuse 28 fixed that but not this time. The local stealer admits to having no idea beyond changing everything until the heater works. Confidence inspiring guy!
 2011 D4 HSE, it'll be nice if it ever works!
2014 D4 HSE Luxury. as if one money pit isn't enough!
My old 2005 D3. Now sold after 362000 on the original engine! 

Post #221872719th Mar 2021 1:42 pm
itguy

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I'd suggest getting a diagnostic cable from the club shop and downloading WTT software - this way you can see what is really happening with the heater before taking it out, cleaning it etc etc.

Post #221872819th Mar 2021 1:47 pm
steamraiser2

So finally got round to servicing the heater. Took it to bits, found it pretty clean and in good health. Refitted it and found that, as before, it would receive the start instruction through my mobile and go through the start cycle and then stop. Everything checks out on the diagnostic but it doesn't fire up. I've done all the obvious things from full of fuel to checking for a lock out. The glow plug works.

I suspect that it is not receiving any fuel. Is there a method of bleeding the FBH supply?

Post #225891427th Oct 2021 3:00 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The ecm will cycle through the start up phase, but not allow fuel to be introduced if there is a fault. So this start up cycling is what you are hearing which is then terminated due to a fault.

Bleeding the system is unlikely to be of any help though it can be done with a GAP IID tool if you have one.

To be honest though, you need to follow the suggestion from itguy above to get to the bottom of the fault.
Download the WTT V software, and purchase the interface cable from this site. https://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/Fuel_Burning_Heater

You can then clear any stored faults and run the diagnostic software and see what's going on. The most likely culprit being the glow plug. https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/glow-plug-gen...23159.html

It's "simples" to do, all you need is a laptop, the free software, and the cables from the site shop. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #225891927th Oct 2021 3:25 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Euhmmm, if you have Altox, you allready have diagnostics available!

You can do / read it from your couch

See image

Go to: more and then diagnostics, etc…
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #225900327th Oct 2021 9:20 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

That's interesting Harold, I didn't know Altox held the WTT software as well. Thumbs Up

Seems the OP has the answers he needs at his fingertips!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #225901227th Oct 2021 9:55 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yupp…

Some further info regarding faultcodes on the Altox website here

https://altox.ru/en/docs/webasto-code/
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #225901627th Oct 2021 10:17 pm
steamraiser2

Thanks for the advice. I logged on to the diagnostics menu of the Altox which tells me that no data is available, even though the unit is registered for it, grrr . I am wondering if the Altox update to the app is the cause of this. My Faultmate also shows no error beyond the message saying that the 'FBH failed to start'

I did poke about with a multi meter and found a poor connection on the FBH. A very corroded red wire. I remade that joint and tried the heater again. As usual the FBH responded to the signal from the Altox unit immediately but his time with a decent roar and a puff of smoke. Proof that the glow plug is still working and that the unit will produce heat. It was set to run for ten minutes but switched to fan only after about three and stopped. It made no attempt to restart on receiving a subsequent command. The poor connection explains why it was not firing even when given a squirt of ether. It certainly fires now.

I did notice that the ambient temperature had risen since I started fiddling with the heater and was 15C by now. Is an Altox driven FBH still limited to the Land Rover temperature settings? If it is the heater is not going to run until the temperature is below 7C?

That aside I'm very confident that the Altox unit is working well and I know that there is nothing wrong with the basic FBH unit. If its not a temperature range issue I suspect that my hunch that it is not getting any/enough fuel could be the root cause.

Post #225910428th Oct 2021 10:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >