Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Robbie's Guide To FBH Servicing & Repair
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 17 <123 ... 91011 ... 151617>
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thnx Martin,

Ofcourse, you both are right.... i made a mistake regarding the number... Embarassed

I should have mention PIN 3.... on a universal TTV that is the pin connected to a temp sensor (earth) meant for auxiliary heating....

The early D3 TTV pin out seems in function the same as a universal TTV, only the W-bus talks different, hence the telestart does not work but the 1533 does, and i suppose the CAN part is different..

If nobody knows if PIN 3 has a function on the D3, i will have a look on mine (in time)
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #214557012th May 2020 6:52 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Pin 3 is not populated/used on a D3 (or D4) and there is no OAT sensor fitted. The FBH receives the OAT data from the vehicle's sensor via CAN.

Not to be presumptuous, but yes, I am sure.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #214557912th May 2020 7:24 pm
Motolab

Ok, thnx for the info..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #214558312th May 2020 7:37 pm
NC500

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Thanks Robbie - seal kit bought from Advanced, how to guide from you and a sunny morning pulling the fbh apart.

It was in good shape for a six year old car with 91k on the clock. The FBH is used daily in the winter so I was quite surprised!!

Post #214900725th May 2020 1:33 pm
Huge Halford

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi guys,
Can I swap a fuel heater from a late model Discovery 4 into my 2005 Discovery 3
 Mods:-
Beanie Grill,Side Steps,Colour-coded wheel arches, Door handles and Bumpers,Rear Bumper Exhaust Trim,Remote Start FBH,2014 D4 rear lights,Reversing camera GVIF enabled,D4 Bluetooth Module, Puddle lighted wing mirrors

To do list:-
Waxoyl the Underside. 

Post #218235525th Oct 2020 3:51 pm
AndyViking

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Another big thanks to Robbie for this. Took the fbh out and gave it a full service with the help of my 12 year old daughter. It looked reasonably clean when I opened it, but the amount of soot that came out with a brush and carb cleaner was amazing. Refitted it with new gaskets, primed with the IID tool and test cycled - all ready for the winter.

One question - how do you uncouple the fuel pipe at the union that is buried in the engine bay? I couldn’t figure that out so decided to remove the clip from the rubber hose on the pipe at the fbh and fit a new one ear clamp when it all goes back together.
 D3 - 2008.5MY HSE, Stornaway Grey, RSE etc - all the toys
Grabber AT3s, Smoked Sweeping Side Repeaters
D4 Steering Wheel with BBS boards
IID BT Tool - happy to help with fault codes 

Post #218629311th Nov 2020 9:29 pm
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 3

Erea wrote:
I can't get my FBH to stay going. After a few min I get fault code
B1D29-93 (2F) No start, even after restart attempt - Component failure - no operation
Watching it on an IID it appears that the fuel pump turns off first.

It runs and smokes the place out for about 3 min then shuts down. I got it running for about 6 min with compressed air before it shuts down. I've just ordered a cable from this site to connect to the PC. Do those in the know here think that I need to take it apart to clean the chamber while I'm waiting for the cable?

Thanks E

I was planning to write a post asking for some tips on why my FBH was giving the error (B1D29 No start, even after restart attempt). Basically it turned on for a minute or 2... some smoke came out pumps were on... same old same old... but then, it stopped. Confused
As always... I searched in the forum and found some tip to blow compressed air in the FBH air intake. Well... I am on the road atm and do not have compressed air. Whistle
I took the little black round thing ( Question what is that and what is it used for anyway?? Question ) from the FBH and literally blowed (like a balloon) with all my lungs directly into that metallic tube. At first, I felt a bouncing back air, like something blocking the ways... I blowed again, and again, and again... then I heard a loud turbine-like noise and realised that the air fan was now blowing hard and the FBH was working great. I worked for several minutes... and only stopped when I turned the internal heating/ventilation off.

Botton line... top tip.. thanks a lot. Thumbs Up Blow some compressed air (OR blow yourself into that metallic tube). Bow down

EDIT:
A quick update on that... after I did the above, the FBH worked a few times but then stop again. like before, with the same error "B1D29 No start, even after restart attempt".

Once again I blowed and this time more, and for longer, between the glow plug ON, through the fuel pump ON and up to fuel pump OFF.
At some parts of the process it appeared that the passage was blocked (like by a valve) and it was hard to blow. Confused
After some attempts a PUFF of smoke came out Whistle (from everywhere apparently, like a lot of smoke) it was dark and I could not see the colour or where it came from. Anyway, I did it about 3 times. forcing air made this puff of smoke from the FBH.
After that I started again and gently blow through the air intake... just to increase the amount of air being sucked... IT WORKED... Mr. Green eureka... from there it appears to work every time.
If I sense it is not ON when it should, I turn the heating vent off, and on again, and presto!. Thumbs Up

Post #21917375th Dec 2020 8:07 pm
cmb2020

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Aintree GreenDiscovery 3

Hi all

I’ve just bought the coolant link and the tools needed to remove the FBH and continue to drive while I service it

I see the problem is most likely to be carbon build up, however there could be part replacement needed if the carbon clean and strip doesn’t work...

My question is should I buy any parts for a likely alternative issue or is a basic disassembly and clean very likely please?

Ideally want to avoid reassembling to find it’s not worked!

Tia

Post #21991855th Jan 2021 12:55 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Remove and strip it first and see what you find, it will be cheaper to get all the parts together.

Post #21991985th Jan 2021 7:23 am
cmb2020

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Aintree GreenDiscovery 3

Will do thanks and that sounds like a good idea

I’ll be back 😎

Post #21992245th Jan 2021 10:32 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just be very thorough.
I haven't serviced many Webasto units but work on Eberspacher units daily, the glow plugs and fans are only 8v so don't be tempted to test them on a 12v battery as there easily damaged and it will prove nothing.

Post #21992315th Jan 2021 10:53 am
W6CJW

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Excellent write up Robbie, followed it to the letter and it all came apart easily. Sadly I discovered the small cap in the burner has become detached. Does anyone know if and where you can buy the complete burner assembly?
 D4 3.0 HSE cameras,Hybrid TV, 20" alloys, heated wheel, privacy, Tow pack.
Departed RRS TDV8 HSE Full Arden kit in TEAL and colour coded everything.
Departed Disco 3 2.7 HSE

I never drive faster than I can see! 

Post #22004389th Jan 2021 2:41 pm
Wyn

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Advanced factors do the whole burner assembly.

Post #22004539th Jan 2021 3:38 pm
arb

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
FBH - ceramic burner part available?

Hi Robbie et al,

I've stripped mine down (thanks and respect due for excellent advice above btw).

Found hairline crack in the ceramic part - in a few places. Assume this is bad news?

Has anyone found a supply for this part (and the shims/gaskets for re-install of the ceramic part)?

The rest of my unit is in very good condition (minimal cleaning needed).

Thanks in advance and apologies if i've missed this info on the board (have searched).

Cheers

arb

Post #220090110th Jan 2021 11:42 pm
Motolab

Every webasto dealer.....

Although everthing fitted to the internal burner itself is sold only as te internal burner complete..
 Best regards
Harold

Post #220090911th Jan 2021 1:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 10 of 17 <123 ... 91011 ... 151617>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >