Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Roof repairs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Roof repairs

Spent a lot of time locating a 'reputable' roof repair company, read the reviews, checked the websites, qualifications, etc. and put the enquiry in.

Gets a nice email back saying will contact to make an appointment, etc.

Then I get two (different number) phone calls (not answered as at work - I never answer unknown numbers - if they want me/are 'genuine' they will leave a message) and two emails.

First one I assume is the roofing company I contacted as they had details, pic I posted, etc. and the second seems a 'speculative' response just coincidentally touting for roofing repair work Rolling Eyes

Closer look at both shows no website, no landline just christian name and mobile number. Do a "who called me" search on the mobile numbers and one comes up as roofing company in town 50 miles away and the other is unknown but has some 'do not answer' type feedback on it.

Emailed them back saying how come they had my details and were contacting me as I didn't know them or contact them.

No answer off one and the other rings back and says he's a contractor for the firm I contacted (but has no website, no land-line but assures me "I've bin doin' it yers mate"). Told him I didn't appreciate unsolicited calls and he is quite apologetic.

Ring the original company and ask to speak to person who emailed me. Not available and an email back to them also unanswered......... Sad

Why's it so Censored hard to get trades these days........

Post #19348499th Apr 2018 2:58 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Have you ever considered that you're being over cautious by casting doubt onto the contractor who phoned you?
You made the initial enquiry, their contractor phoned you but you then chose not to play ball.
That's how it looks. Rolling Eyes
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #19348529th Apr 2018 3:03 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I think nothing beats a personal recommendation. I'd have a look at the roofs nearby that have been repaired and ask them? Some of the best people I know who have done work for me are the ones you have to chase and chase - because they're brilliant at what they do, but hopeless and business/sales. Which works for me.
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #19348549th Apr 2018 3:18 pm
astonbuilder

Narpy - missed a bit out - when talking on the phone I asked about why no website, phone, etc. and what 'contractor' meant. It got a bit fudgy there-on and ended with a sort of "mate told me you were looking". Add that to christian name only and nothing much else.......

I probably am a bit more 'cautious' these days but I also want a decent job for a decent pay, not bodge job and that just sounded dodgy all round to me.

I wasn't belittling contractors in general in my original comments if it sounded that way.

John C - not seen any similar works as new'ish estate. Been 'asking around' for about six months now and not getting anything substantial back.

Actually thinking of trying the 'Local Heroes' through British Gas and will look at the online quote type ones ('Checkatrade' etc.) but had very poor historical feedback with the latter on a few jobs we've tried through them.

Post #19348559th Apr 2018 3:25 pm
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

lot of those checkatrade type things the contractor has to buy the lead. Ive never felt the need to buy my work as I like to think I do a good job without it.

Customer of mine asked me for a recommendation for a flat roofer which I gave him. He chose not to use him. He was only slightly more expensive than the guy who quoted via one of the trade sites. Was nearly a very expensive mistake as the guy very nearly burnt the house down by leaving the job at lunch time having caught a bit of felt with his blow torch. They returned from lunch to a house full of smoke.!!

Recommendation really is the way to go. There must be some roofing works going on the the area or even building work as most builders will have a roofer they recommend.
 Today is the oldest you've been and the youngest you'll ever be again.  
Post #19348599th Apr 2018 3:48 pm
Batfink

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Also worth trying the local council as most do have a list of reputable traders who they either use or may recommend.
 2006 TdV6 HSE.  
Post #19348609th Apr 2018 3:48 pm
Grianaig

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Consumers Association has a Trusted Traders group You might need a subscription to Which to use it.
 2014 MY Discovery XS Indus Silver. Sadly gone. Second last LR of forty eight years continuous ownership.  
Post #19348859th Apr 2018 5:11 pm
Alan B

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Word of mouth reccomendations are the way to go Thumbs Up

Who says they are a local hero? Who checks their trade and Who are they trusted by?
Being self employed for many years I've been asked to join these sort of things, for a fee of course, no thank you! It seems to me you pay for your name to be added to these lists.
Even the guild of master craftsmen isn't worth diddly squat nowadays, anyone can pay to join.
If I can't get any work by recommendations or people seeing for themselves my work then that's my tough luck, your only as good as your last piece of work.
Thumbs Up
 D3 57 xs Stornaway grey
D2 02 commercial silver gone but a great servant and won't be forgotten

Iid Bluetooth 

Post #19349269th Apr 2018 7:12 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have just had a large 77sq m deck rebuilt at the back of my house. We spent ages trying to find a contractor who inspired us with confidence.

We eventually found a local chap, whilst out walking the dogs. Saw them working on a house down the road, when they finished, went to see the job, and got the house owners opinions, and gave them the job.

Post #19349459th Apr 2018 7:42 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Another way of getting recommendations is popping in to your local builders’ merchant (Independent if poss.) and asking for a couple of names of roofers.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #19349749th Apr 2018 8:39 pm
nearlee

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I'm self employed I've no website no sign writing on van trailers etc and no landline.
All my business is word off mouth I get really nervous about people who a, don't leave voicemail as I won't answer an unknown number, b, people who start asking about websites references etc.

Those are the ones that don't pay, by the way I'm one of very few who can do certain tasks within my industry and I'm currently booked for the next 6 weeks easy with at least 4 companies who have offered me work if I get quiet.

Just my point of view from other side of fence.
 Just remember:-
Amateurs built the Ark
Professionals built the titanic 

Post #19350029th Apr 2018 9:42 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

toooooooooooooooo many travellers around....have to be so Censored careful,,,the b Censored ds

Post #19350359th Apr 2018 11:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
astonbuilder

nearlee wrote:
I'm self employed I've no website no sign writing on van trailers etc and no landline.
All my business is word off mouth I get really nervous about people who a, don't leave voicemail as I won't answer an unknown number, b, people who start asking about websites references etc.

Those are the ones that don't pay, by the way I'm one of very few who can do certain tasks within my industry and I'm currently booked for the next 6 weeks easy with at least 4 companies who have offered me work if I get quiet.

Just my point of view from other side of fence.

Can get that - but too many that operate in that manner do seem to be a bit dodgy IMO. I've had experiences of 'builders' quoting over the phone and I've suggested maybe they need to look at the job first (and I get 'experience' means some can be non-sight quoted also). One came to quote knocking a door through from house to garage without looking at both sides of the wall. I'm no builder but that seems a bit odd to me.

But when you go to a customers house you know who they are, where they live, what they are 'like', etc. (and that guarantees nothing also I know.....) but man in a white van called Garry on a PAYG phone instils me with no confidence whatsoever I'm afraid and it's caveat emptor - I can't afford to just take a punt with some jobs.

If that same person was mentioned from somebody you know and recommended or working in your street and you see them then it gives a different slant to it surely and that is how you seem to operate and very successfully it seems.

Can't say my experience of the web traders has been great either but you [think] you're getting something 'warranted' - I feel more able to have some come-back via that route than the 'man in a van with a mobile' - sounds like those in the trade see them as dodgy also, and I'd listen to that view when expressed.

The Gas one just seems to be backed by a 'brand name' I'd trust and, TBH, just trying to get trades round here is ridiculous. I know and accept 'good ones' not availble is a sign of their abilities, I'm prepared to wait and pay for that but soooooo many do not come when they say they will.

It does seem to be geographical, never had these issues in 'big cities' and I don't live in the sticks now but it is madness at times.

PS; I don't answer unknown numbers as get too many SPAM calls related to my job; answer one and you get ten more. The "if they want me they'll leave a message" is a pretty effective filter that 'works' reasonably well as generally don't get another from them and I'd say 99% that don't leave messages, when checked are generally SPAM'er type calls Thumbs Up

Post #193505210th Apr 2018 7:39 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Word and mouth is best I always say , I've been in the trade for 35 odd years Shocked , I only use my mobile now as I've just had enough of calls after 7pm and weekends , I give people my email so they can sent me info and contact details and I choose if I want to look at the job , I will always say if we are to busy , most people will wait if they want you to do the work , we are booked up 6-12 ahead most of the time , and leave small gaps to fit the small jobs in Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #193505410th Apr 2018 7:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chugga90

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I personally think Checkatrade is just a pay your subscription and away you go, your in. The local traveller site has several vans within it with such signs applied. Now I know you should not jump to conclusions, but that nails that one dead.
Most of the other types of these associations are just the same.

I run a very small building business, have worked in the trade for thirty years, run my own business for fifteen years.
I no longer sign write our vehicles, as you get more enquiries than you can attend, invariably never get the job as they just want to pick your brain and DIY.

We are so busy I never get time to invoice, which I know is my fault and I should have better procedures in place. I am forever busy pricing the next tasks. Cannot get the staff you want or can rely upon. So it’s not just the consumer who struggle to get the job done.

All of our work is regular client or recommendations from them to their friends.
The only body I subscribe to is the Chartered Institute of Builders. They are not much help when you ask them for help and I wonder why I bother to be really honest.

On a helping note, does your work have a notice board? Perhaps you could post something on that asking colleagues if they know someone?
 Discovery commercial tdv6 auto 2013
Volkswagen t6 lwb Kombi dsg 4motion 2018
Volkswagen t5.1 lwb single cab tipper 2013
Discovery commercial sdv6 auto 2014 gone and not really missed.
Range Rover Tdv8 gone
Freelander 2 I6 very sadly gone
VW t5 Dsg gone and missed 

Post #193505510th Apr 2018 7:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >