Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

RRS vs D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
transman

RRS vs D3

First of all, congrats to Martin for a site which I look at almost every day, despite not being a regular "poster". The information within this site is invaluable to get the best out of the D3. I almost feel he could publish the important info in mag or book form! Where else can you find unbiased info like this ?

However, I sometimes stray to the RRS site, and sort of "sniffing the air and feeling the vibes", I get the impression that they are a more satisfied lot, and they appear to have less problems with their vehicles. Are both vehicles made in the same factory, I really dont know?

It seems odd that there is an overlap in price between the two ranges, EG, you could get an RRS for the price of a top end Disco, but quality appears to be different

Although I have had no probs in 8 months, been to France with the caravan for 6 weeks, felt REALLY confident that the vehicle wouldnt let me down, and love it to bits, looking at the posts of some readers, I really wonder about the vehicles reliability going forward. Should I really have got an RRS?

This month my MD gets an RRS, with a towbar, and says I can use it to compare the two. Really looking forward to this, just to see how the two vary in performance and comfort terms. Both mine and his are diesel and manual.

Again, well done Martin, for the best site on the "interweb"

And thanks to the "posters", you people out there, without which it wouldnt be the same, and I wouldnt get the same enjoyment.

Cheers all !

Post #320679th Dec 2005 9:19 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I suppose the big difference is that Disco3 owners experience 'issues' first - hand, whereas RRS owners have to rely upon their chauffeurs letting them know why their vehicle is 'temporarily indisposed' Wink
It was a 49% - 51% decision for me BTW...

Post #320689th Dec 2005 9:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Seven seats were the deciding factors for me, and er um the price difference Wink
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #320719th Dec 2005 9:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

As an aside, I have yet to hear of anyone left 'stranded' by their Disco 3, sure, they have their problems like any new model of any manufacturer but the advantage of software problems is that they can generally be temporarily resolved by a 'reboot' until a dealer fix can be implemeted

to put this in context, i've been on several C130J's that have needed a 'reboot' to get them off the strip... and they cost many million $'s with a lineage going back nearly half a century

Post #320819th Dec 2005 10:17 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I run a a Disco3 and my business partner a RR Sport and i must say the Disco3 wins on versatality every time.... even if it does look like a Ford transit Connect from the rear Wink
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #320879th Dec 2005 10:33 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Different machines for different jobs... practical or surprisingly sporty.

Both are best in class. If you need the space D3... if you want a more involving ride and a 'slightly' easier car to park in an NCP then RRS Wink

-s

Post #320979th Dec 2005 10:52 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

I'm with Cliff - seven seats was the clincher, otherwise would have gone the RRS route, despite it being slower, lower and thirstier than a D3.

When I've checked the RRS forums, most of the topics appear to be about how to convert your car to look "better", rather than drive/peform better, which I think may lead to a generalisation about how people chose between cars, and end up with a flame-bait post.... Rolling Eyes
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #321059th Dec 2005 10:57 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I considered and test drove both, but couldn’t get over the ‘bling” thing with the RRS. Seriously that was all that was in it apart from (and only in my opinion) the cavernous load space and versatility / practicality, which suits my pastimes and leisure activities.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #321069th Dec 2005 11:00 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

When I bought mine the RRs was not around, so did not get the choice.

Having since sat in the RRS, I can see the attraction. BUT I would rather have the top of the range Disco as opposed to the bottom of the range Sport if you get my drift.

If you are going to do it, do it properly! If I can off load a couple of kids in the next few years, and business stays good, then a Supercharged RRS may become attractive to me.

Post #321369th Dec 2005 11:46 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

D3 has - 7 seats (the basic requirement!)
- boot space
- £7k lower price (ish) - more when you look at the discounting

RRS has - 'look' especially the back end and grille
- "Range" rather than "Land". A snob thing

The 7 seat and price were the overriding points for me
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #3214310th Dec 2005 12:23 am
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

7 SEATS & large load space did it for me! Oh & not so bling as the sport!
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #3217510th Dec 2005 2:37 pm
Biggles

A perspective from the Dark Side.

IMO the Disco 3 is to sqaure has to many seats more space and does not go round corners as well as I would like. I have driven at least 4 different disco 3s two automatics and two manuals. If I need to cary the dog, tow a trailer, or even do a tip run the sport does it all.
It has been taken off road and led or followed disco3s and has never been out matched by them yet. The only time I have worried about the car was when I almost scraped my twenty inch bling alloys in a quarry but thats my own fault. I should have taken an easier route.
It has been great to see two cars of from the same factory perform off road to the same ability and then get back to tarmac and boy race back to the office with the disco driver commenting on how well mine went round corners compared to the always waiting for the loss of traction feeling in the disco3.

Overall I think I chose the best car for both worlds and would never knock the D3 I do not think everybody has the same taste as me and if we all thought the same it would be a very boring world.
 Just popped over from the dark side.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/index.php 

Post #3255113th Dec 2005 12:50 pm
10forcash

Well said Biggles Thumbs Up
Shouldn't get in the way of a bit of good natured banter though Wink a bit like regimental rivalries in the military, "our Regt. is older / better equipped / better trained than yours etc." but when it comes down to it, they're all capable of doing their job as well as each other.

Post #3255213th Dec 2005 1:00 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Biggles wrote:
A perspective from the Dark Side.

Overall I think I chose the best car for both worlds and would never knock the D3 I do not think everybody has the same taste as me and if we all thought the same it would be a very boring world.

Always going to be polarised this one depending on what you bought. Biggles, maybe you should post the same question on the 'Dark Side' for balance? We can compare notes and views in a forum 'no man's land' at Christmas. Wink
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #3256113th Dec 2005 2:24 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

A View from a RRS owner

I love the RRS but then again I think the Disco is a great car. Driven both and the 3 reasons I chose the RRS was simply I didn't need the extra 2 seats yet and secondly a new car like the RRS will depreciate less in percentage over the next 3 years than the slightly older Disco and lastly I think the RRS looks good.

Post #3257713th Dec 2005 3:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >