Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Rustproofing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Stingray

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Rustproofing

I picked up my HSE yesterday, and despite being 50 years old, I'm like a kid with a new toy! Has anybody considered rustproofing the underside of their D3? I very musch like Dinitrol products, and may use them, and it would be very sensible to do this before the car gets dirty/wet, but I'm worried about invalidating the anti-corrossion warranty. Any thoughts or experiences?

Post #275723rd Apr 2005 12:57 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think it will be worth it. If you take off the towing electrics cover, mine has rust in there already!

Post #276023rd Apr 2005 4:35 pm
Ecosse

Like Gareth, I have also found rust at only 4 mths! - I'm inclined to use Black Waxoyl on the underside!!

Post #276123rd Apr 2005 7:05 pm
Stingray

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I spent this afternoon rustproofing, having discovered that the factory protection (or lack of it) is appalling. There were great areas of bare primer on the inner sills, various parts of the floorpan, etc, and the chassis frame itself has just a coat of black paint as far as I can tell, and certainly dosen't have any wax protection. I have been carefully improving it, rather than messily covering everything with sticky wax, and it is very satisfying to do, but at the same time I find it very frustrating that the job isn't done thoroughly in the factory. I'm sure that as little £50 or so spent during the manufacturing process would make a huge difference to the life expectancy of the vehicle, and surely it should be done as a matter of course on a vehicle of this type, costing £40k. It could also be a much better job than anything done after build. Also, Land-Rovers are intended for off road use, wading, etc, and this makes it even more vital that they are protected. If anyone from LR is reading this, please take it as a constructive criticism, and put it in your suggestion box. I love the car, but why does this sort of quality problem still occur in this day and age? Grumble over, but I think it is a very valid one!

Post #279324th Apr 2005 9:16 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The problem is, they want you to buy a new Land Rover in a few years time. If they make em like they used to, then you won't need to!

I read recently that over 70% of Series Land Rovers made over the past 57 years are still running. This is not good business practice as you will end up with a saturated market!

Right, thats done it, I'll get me coat.

Post #279424th Apr 2005 9:45 pm
BN

England 

Once rust has started guys, covering it with anti rust is sadly not going to stop it. It could actually promote it. If you want to rust proof, there are two good ways, get the dealer to coat it with the LR 110/90 'gloop' it is very very sticky, but very good. If you have ever owned a 110 or 90, you will recall that black sticky stuff that gets everywhere, but it is good, especially on clothing. Or there is a company who treat the whole underside with a grey matter after removing the prpblems encountered. I cannot recall the name, but it is in most of the LR mags.

Post #279825th Apr 2005 6:55 am
Pelyma

England 

OOO BN, you're talking about Kleentect before n after. The guy who owns it posts on LROI, he will also waxoyl the bottom rather than using this kleentect stuff. A strange character (Gareth & Martin will probably have read his posts) but it seems to be well thought of by most and hated by a few. It costs a couple of grand, do you have a penny wise remedy?????? Laughing
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #280125th Apr 2005 7:36 am
Keith Walshe

I will be collecting the new SE in about 4 weeks and am going to give the udnerside a good going over. Very Happy

Has anybody had any experience with the various cathodic systems. There is one here in Oz called AutoSaver http://www.autosaver.com.au/sass_works.htm
and it seems it is sold in the US as well.

Post #350617th May 2005 6:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >