Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

S Seat probs again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
croyde

S Seat probs again

Just got the car back from the dealers with some kind of reset done to deal with the Park brake warning light but I did mention the sinking seat problem as well.

The paper work says no fault found so I rang them to be told that they had left it all night and that the seat was still in the same position. The numpties Surprised

I had told them that it was the bad design of the lever which goes down on every contact with a bum cheek but they just ignored me.

When pressed they said that they were sure that if it was a problem that LR would let them know.

Blind leading the blind Mad

I can live with it but really on a £30K + car, this is unacceptable. It's a great car/tool but I really do think that it is at least £10K overpriced.

What do the rest of you think?

Post #4374222nd Feb 2006 11:24 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I think it's not even so much a price issue, it's the fact that LR couldn't give a stuff even when it's obvious that they have made basic design flaws.

Every business makes mistakes but decent ones put their hands up to them and get them sorted because they want to keep the customer.

Post #4374522nd Feb 2006 11:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
croyde

Surely these niggling faults should have been found during the 1000s of miles of pre-launch testing across the planet over a variety of different terrains and wildly flunctuating temperatures Laughing

They must of cut corners and have decided that their customers can do the testing for them and pay for the pleasure of helping the company.

Post #4374722nd Feb 2006 11:34 pm
Cliff H

Perhaps LR did not let the test drivers get out of the cars during the 0000s of miles of testing Shocked , thus they did not find out about sinking seat syndrome Wink

Or

They only had SE or HSE test cars, this may not be so far from the truth as I have heard HSE test cars mentioned from several different sources but never S or base cars

Post #4374922nd Feb 2006 11:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

Now I know I've only had my S just over a week but I have been keeping an eye out for the sinking seat issue, and I have to say, even being only 5'3" (and therefore more likely to slide up onto the seat than stepping in more easily) I haven't, a) noticed my a**e catching the lever or b) the seat sinking - by checking my eyeline against the underside of the top of the steering wheel and the edge of the fascia over the dials.

May be it is just caused by the different ways people get in and out of the car - not that that makes it excusable, but possibly why this design made it into production
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4375422nd Feb 2006 11:47 pm
Cliff H

Certainly varies in it's severity.
I used to have to give mine the occasional 'pump' but since I fitted the side steps it got even less.

Come to think of it since my dealer broke the lever cover before christmas, leaving me with a metal stub, I have not had to raise the seat at all Rolling Eyes

Post #4376322nd Feb 2006 11:57 pm
croyde

A fix at last, you should stick that in the Tips and Tricks section Laughing

Post #4376423rd Feb 2006 12:11 am
SN

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4376623rd Feb 2006 12:13 am
Cliff H

Take your car to my dealer I am sure they will oblige Rolling Eyes Wink

Post #4376823rd Feb 2006 12:22 am
zebadee

Ireland 

Initially I also thought that the “Sinking Seat” scenario was caused my hitting the lever when getting out of the vehicle. This resulted in some very entertaining acrobatics as I tried various ways of getting out without hitting the lever !!!

However I've since found that on a long journey, of say 2hrs, the seat will have sunk a little before I reach my destination, requiring a pump up again.

So I spoke to my dealer about this & they say that there is a design problem with the seats that LR are aware of. Apparently they (my dealer) have replaced a couple of seat bases, only to have the problem reoccur. So after contacting LR about this they were told that there is a modified seat base being issued to solve the problem.

They had offered to replace my seat base, but as it’s quite a task, we’ve decided to wait to see if this “modified base” LR are issuing will solve the problem.

So when they’ve proved the new seat base on other D3’s I’ll get mine done.

I’ll keep you posted.

Post #4380023rd Feb 2006 10:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >