Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

All Sad about my D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bigplumbs

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
All Sad about my D3

I have owned a Disco Series 2 for many years and use her to tow many things. I am very pleased with her but she is getting old at 185k miles. Because I often tow boats reasonably long distances I was getting worried about her age etc.

So against many peoples advice off I went and spent £12K on a Disco 3. I have owned the D3 now for about 2 years and have had a multitude of faults. EGR Valves x 2, Air Compressor, Sat Nav, Air Con, Engine System Fault.

I have got that I am sort of scared to use the D3 for fear of yet another warning light coming on and keep continuing to use the D2.

I have come on here to see if any others feel like this or even better if anyone can help me to start to love the D3 and build confidence in her. (The D3 has done about 83K miles)

Go on cheer me up

Dennis

Last edited by Bigplumbs on 13th Sep 2020 8:01 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #217348013th Sep 2020 7:22 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Get rid of the D2 and just drive the D3 as if it was the most reliable car on the planet, it just likes lots of days off and is as expensive as a mistress/diverse/drug habit. Or all 3. Laughing Laughing It may live on, it may die tomorrow, deal with that then.

Re costs, you have a superfluous kidney to sell, plus possibly children? They’ll help. Thumbs Up

PS You spent what on a D3 2 years ago?

Post #217348113th Sep 2020 7:39 am
Bigplumbs

Did it help..... Well not really.

Last thing I will ever do is get rid of the D2

Post #217348313th Sep 2020 7:59 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just drive it. These things are much better when they are used. Get a GAP IIDBT so that when it throws a wobbly you will have the codes so that you'll have a better idea of what is wrong. This forum is a great resource for keeping your truck ticking along.

As for spending £12k Shocked on it, is it gold plated and encrusted with diamonds Laughing

Anyway, welcome to the mad house. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #217348413th Sep 2020 8:08 am
jetmech

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have had similar issues to you over the last 4 1/2 years, plus both prop shafts a front diff. front control arms and most expensive of all the injector pump (hpfp). Luckily I have been able to do all the repairs myself.
The IID tool is great for peace of mind, apart from all the other things it can do.
The Disco certainly isn’t my favourite car in my fleet, but it’s a great tow car and more, when it’s working properly.
 Simon.
2008MY Dicovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual 

Post #217348913th Sep 2020 8:28 am
Bigplumbs

Moo wrote:
Just drive it. These things are much better when they are used. Get a GAP IIDBT so that when it throws a wobbly you will have the codes so that you'll have a better idea of what is wrong. This forum is a great resource for keeping your truck ticking along.

As for spending £12k Shocked on it, is it gold plated and encrusted with diamonds Laughing

Anyway, welcome to the mad house. Thumbs Up

No not gold plated but it was a couple of years ago and low mileage and the HSE.

I already have the fault reader

Post #217349513th Sep 2020 8:54 am
Trucks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I am on my 2nd d3 the first was two years newer and got rid of it after a year as the car tax really p----s me off biggest mistake I ever made 3 estates later and now back in a d3 a bit older but God it's great but as you say what next spent over 1500 squid in less than ten months on battery,brakes all round including discs ,wing mirror bought of forum automatic webasto start (can't get the dam thing to work or the webasto come to that) key replacement various clips ctek charger rear brake calipers front wheel bearings just to mention a few things now failed MOT on lower front arm bushes.
But if you look at the above that really is basic maintenance on any car and most of the fitted items should last a good few thousand miles so all in all I don't think it's too bad.
31average return on fuel no oils used no tyres as yet all good for 12k I hope and I have also sourced via the internet for all the components at very good competitive prices agreed not genuine LR items but go what I could afford.
So as for keeping her it's a yes as in the second and third year things will be far cheaper for as outlined above will not need doing I hope.
I average 8 to 10k a year.
So to sum up keep your truck do the maintenance and keep the battery in tip top condition as a couple of volts reduction could throw up all sorts of warning light when actually it just low voltage
Also as the man said use it boot it and enjoy it 😉

PS It's a great forum helped me immensely but I stopped reading all the woes of other owners as it scares the s--t out of me what could go wrong next .
So just find the information you need on your problems that will also help your worries.

Best of luck

Post #217349713th Sep 2020 9:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

5.5 yrs ago d3 100k on the tacho, no breakdowns, usual repairs as per any old car.
Total spend over 5.5 yrs incl tyres 5k.

Tbh if things going wrong scare you, you need to sell the land rover asap, and get a nice ford/vauxhall on pcp.

Post #217349813th Sep 2020 9:07 am
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have done 10,000 miles in 8-9 months in my Disco 3. Just approaching the 200,000 miles on the clock.

It’s not put a foot wrong once. All I’ve done is oils and 2 tyres + EGR blanks.

I’m waiting until it hits the 200k mark and then I’m doing the belts/oil pump, front discs/pads and 2 tyres.

So far, I do believe the £1,000’ish a year ball park to keep them maintained. Especially if you are due belts/lower or upper arms. If they’re done then maintenance should be less.

They’re a do it all vehicle. I do find too much time on this forum can make you regret buying one with all the horror stories. You have to remember that there’s tens of thousands of these on the road and this forum is a small % catchment where people come to sort out faults and want advice.
 Defender 110 2.4 TDCi Utility Station Wagon.

2007 Disco 3 GS TDV6 Manual
200,000+ mile club 😎 

Post #217350413th Sep 2020 9:26 am
Bigplumbs

lynalldiscovery wrote:
5.5 yrs ago d3 100k on the tacho, no breakdowns, usual repairs as per any old car.
Total spend over 5.5 yrs incl tyres 5k.

Tbh if things going wrong scare you, you need to sell the land rover asap, and get a nice ford/vauxhall on pcp.

Generally things going wrong dont scare me they just annoy.

I have 11 boats, 2 Jet Skis, 7 Cars, 210 Radio control planes, 2 Motorbikes, 1 Caravan, 4 Lawn mowers, and many more things so fixing is kind of what I have to do most of the time. The D3 is the most expensive car I have so I kind of hoped it would be ok

Post #217352613th Sep 2020 12:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >