Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

So the saga begins....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
BN

England 

Si, I would be upset and hurt as you are and I know you want to keep your vehicle for some time. The point at the moment is to see what they do and ask to see the item they are talking about, before it is repaired. Take a photo if necessary. If it is crass negligence by either the factory in build or the garage in the 'repair' (which is more likely) you may be able to tell by looking yourself.

I don't think LR with their build quality control would allow a gearbox through with this sort of defect. If it was, then I doubt if the line would have fitted it. It just makes difficulty for them, then and after.

Take a look, my dealer would not hesitate in letting me see. In fact I could sit and watch the repair if I had the time and with tea and buscuits.

Post #813923rd Jul 2005 8:24 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Update 25th July

I have my D3 back Very Happy , the gearbox is sorted and does seem smoother than ever (though I won't be confident that the reverse gear issue is resolved until I've had a few trouble free days). They've still not been very clear about what has been done, they've agreed to put it in writing so I fully expect to have to phone them regularly until I get this.

A new alloy is on order, should be with the dealer in a week to 10 days. Apparently the locking wheel nut is specfic to the wheel so they have to make sure the right one is ordered, I find this difficult to understand but decided to wait until they've got the new one in and try and make sense of it whilst they swap it.

Seat issue is far from resolved, no joy from the dealer or LR CS, so I need to establish how to pursue this next. I don't want to reject the vehicle, it's a magnificent beast but with that seat clearly not fit for purpose so it's something I have to consider, but only as a last resort as I'd rather get it fixed

Si
 The End  
Post #833425th Jul 2005 4:12 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Oh and I won't be going there again once the alloy is sorted. I'm not going to name and shame them (although I have already named them in another thread) but if anyone mentions them I will refer them to this thread Rolling Eyes

Martin got a good result from Hunters when he broke down so as their Guilford branch is my nearest dealer I'll try them next time the need arrises. They wouldn't budge on price when I was buying but hopefully they'll make up for this with excellent service Smile
 The End  
Post #833525th Jul 2005 4:18 pm
BN

England 

Si, pleased to hear that things have improved. I am speaking to LR tomorrow re the seat and HOPEFULLY will have some progress.

Post #833825th Jul 2005 4:53 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

That's better, realise the main problem with not having the D3 (other than not being able to drive it of course!) when I went outside and there was a Freelander sitting on the drive I could see over it! Not that it wasn't good to get a better view of the Series III it's good to be back to having an obstructed view. Much more reassuring Very Happy Very Happy
 The End  
Post #852225th Jul 2005 11:03 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Update 26th July

After a couple of cold starts today I can report that reverse gear selection is as bad as ever Exclamation

So the nightmare that I've had with one of the worst dealers in the country since last Wednesday has all been for nothing. No wonder they were offering discounts when nobody else was, it's the only way they can get anyone through the door Evil or Very Mad I shall be writing a long letter of complaint to their parent company and LR.

I'm going to put up with the reverse gear selection, perhaps next time I go to another dealer for servicing or any other issues I'll ask them to look at it, only perhaps though

Si
 The End  
Post #864126th Jul 2005 10:27 pm
MLGOMEZ

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have similar problem, when cold difficult to get into reverse and 1st - I solution this by quickly shifting into 3rd, then 1st then reverse seems work.
Mentioned to dealer and I guess they fobbed me off with it will be ok by the time I reach 10,000k.
After your experience Slimer, I'll wait till it fails or wait till end of warranty

Regards
Miguel

Post #867727th Jul 2005 9:58 am
BN

England 

Don't let it get out of warranty, but about 6 months before try getting it replaced, good idea.

Post #868027th Jul 2005 10:26 am
Bob

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I also had problems with selecting 1st and reverse when cold, found by selecting 2nd and moving forward slightly I could then select reverse.

Reported it to the main dealer at about 2500 miles and was told by the service manager it was characteristic of the D3, explained as politely as I could that it was not characteristic of the test drive or when I first had the vehicle.

They then said I needed a new gearbox and would contact LR to authorise it. After waiting a couple of weeks they said LR had issued a bulletin with a mod to re-alien the gears but as I was off to Le Man that week they would wait for my return as it would take two days and they had not worked on a D3 gearbox yet!

Did not give me too much confidence

Anyway on my return I booked the D3 in and was given the D3 S demo for the 2 days

I have found this fix to be a vast improvement

I would check if the dealer you are visiting next is aware of this bulletin and ask them to re-align the gears

Good Luck!

Bob
 DISCOVERY 3 TDV6 HSE  
Post #886528th Jul 2005 11:03 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Bob,

Can't find a matching bulletin on GTR, any chance you could ask your dealer for the bulletin number and/or a copy of it so I could point a (different) dealer in the right direction?

Cheers
Simon

Post #887328th Jul 2005 11:45 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Bob, got the mail, thanks

Got the paperwork through from my dealer today, apparently this is what they did:
Useless Dealer wrote:
'Investigated difficult to engage reverse gear, checked gearbox level all ok.
Found selector shaft position bolt not correctly fitted, removed and positioned correctly, tightened to correct torque settin, checked operation of gear selection all ok'
What they neglect to mention is that they couldn't find anything wrong when they first looked at it but managed to make it worse anyway, then when I complained they decided it needed a new gearbox then changed their mind a few days later!  
Post #902430th Jul 2005 11:35 pm
Bob

Hi Simon,

Spoke to my local Main Dealer who sorted my gearbox out, but not much joy I'm afraid.

What he said was that they contacted Land Rover and asked for authority to fix a new gearbox.

The “Technical Hotline” then came back to them with a fix to Re-position the gearbox.

He is not aware of a bulletin for this, but suggests which ever dealer you pick should contact the Technical Hotline.

Sorry I could not get more detail for you

Bob
 DISCOVERY 3 TDV6 HSE  
Post #94822nd Aug 2005 10:14 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Never mind, thanks for trying Bob
I'll mention it to whatever dealer I go to next , which hopefully won't be until it needs a service

Rung the problem dealer several times today to chase up my replacement alloy, first time they managed to transfer me to a dealer somewhere else in the country, second time got successfully transfered through to the service dept. and they transfered me to a phone that nobody answered, third time got successfully transfered through to the service dept. and they transfered me to a phone that engaged, fourth time I explained to the receptionist what was going on so she tranfered me to the workshop, they said I needed to talk to the parts dept. tried to transfer me but the line was engaged so took my number even though I told him there was no point as nobody there has managed to ring me back yet! Gave up at this point, I'll try again tomorrow
 The End  
Post #95012nd Aug 2005 11:03 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Si, just order the alloy from parts, and tell them the service/warranty department are paying for it Very Happy
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #95022nd Aug 2005 11:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bob

Sorry Simon

But I kept thinking I had seen your 'photo before

Is this you? Laughing

Bob
 DISCOVERY 3 TDV6 HSE  
Post #101985th Aug 2005 11:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >