Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Sale or Return - Issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Budweiser

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Sale or Return - Issues

I have been offered a SOR deal by a Main Dealer on my D4 HSE. I have never done this before but it should give me a better return than the cash sale price (Approx. £1000/1500 more).

Any thoughts on this? Is it a good deal or a possible nightmare?

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #7421516th Jan 2011 2:12 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Personally, I wouldn't touch it - who's liable if the car is damaged or stolen? Breaks down on a test drive- will you be paying the bill to fix it? Car sold & the dealer goes into admin.- will you get your money? Speeding ticket on a test drive?
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #7421586th Jan 2011 2:17 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

very common for corporate sized groups to offer this service in order to protect their own cashflow but normally associated with high end value stock where its the owner contacting the dealership to ask if they offer it.

I would recon they have someone in mind for it or that you expectations on value are greater than would leave a comfortable margin for the dealership, hence drawing you in on a "sale or return" gimmick then of course claiming to have someone on it but at a slightly lower figure to make it easier to make a reasonable margin...... it will be one of these type of conversation:

Oh hi, its Dan from **** Land Rover, I have some good news, I have a gentleman with me who has been out for a test drive in yer car, very impressed but has noticed X & Y on the vehicle and whilst its almost the right specification it does not have X or Y on it. He would be intersted in buying the your D4, but as we would have to fit those accessories, this would be the figure but another good thing is that he does not have a part exchange car so would be buying for cash"

On agreeing a suitable figure, then the dealership will pay you and a few days after the deal has been done it will appear either on their forecourt or one of their sister dealerships. If you were to question the reason why its up for sale again, it will be the "well the guy could not get the finance" or " really messed us about but because we'd already paid you, we really could not ask you to give us back the money" Shocked

If you are tempted by the opportunity that does not really exist, leave the car for a day/weekend. In such cases both of you agree/appraise the condition of the vehicle thoroughly and the responsibility will be with the dealership (worth seeing a copy of their motortraders policy), not 100% sure I would leave it there until sold. Plenty of other dealers out there with cheque books open if the price was right Thumbs Up

Post #7424726th Jan 2011 10:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >