Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Sat nav disc
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Barnetman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Sat nav disc

Any ideas as to where to get a new disk.ive seen several on the net but would prefer a genuine LR disk as some others seem to have a problem loading and working for any length of time.

Post #216070113th Jul 2020 12:55 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The genuine disk is 200 eur (approximately) and hasn’t been updated in 10 (or so) years. It really is not worth getting it.

Post #216070313th Jul 2020 1:04 pm
scarecrow

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

As Kajtzu says, the latest disc you can get from LR is 2012 vintage. There are later ones out there online which have been generated using the same format, which is still used by other manufacturers. Whether that constitutes software piracy I don’t know!

The latest one I’ve seen advertised is 2018, but be aware that if your car has voice recognition (and you use it) the voice database is also stored on the SATNAV disk and I don’t think all these after market disks support it (although some do).

Post #216077813th Jul 2020 7:19 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I did buy a 2018 “aftermarket” disk... although the maps can be seen, adres and postal code input did not work... the postal codes database from certain country’s were wrong or not there...

Support or any reaction at all from the seller, with a rather “official” looking navigation site, was not there at all (no reaction on emails, nothing nada)
Yes i Did know it was / were debatable “Goods” ....... cost me 40 quid..........

I did buy a D4 screen... for 80 quid... with atleast 2010 maps on it, and i like it and seems to work regarding maps until now, ok... not the newest adresses ofcourse but 95% is not changed in the last years...

Bottom line, do not buy original LR latest version, or cloned disks....
D4 screen is cheaper both in price and maps with the benefits off a more modern screen
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #216079413th Jul 2020 8:47 pm
kajtzu

I’ll be the douche that says it but forget the built in satnav and use waze on an android or iOS phone Thumbs Up

Post #216079613th Jul 2020 8:49 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

GoogMaps. It’s waaaaaaaaaay better than the inbuilt rubbish. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Strangely can’t get on with Waze. Confused

Post #216079713th Jul 2020 8:52 pm
Motolab

All true.....

BUT some (me) have still smaller phones /screens...(smallest iphone because of pocket size) and are not 20 anymore (me)
I have a TOMTOM with lifetime map updates.. exceptional good i might say, but i do not always want the hassle to mount it on the windscreen, for those daily cases, i like the OEM sat nav screen....

Maybe more of us do Wink
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #216080413th Jul 2020 9:12 pm
scarecrow

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I’m with motolab in that respect! I have a very neat SATNAV on the phone, but 98% of the time the inbuilt works just fine and is much more convenient. Difference is I’m running original D3 hardware with a 2015 aftermarket disc, which works with the voice control even with my dodgy diction

Post #216080613th Jul 2020 9:17 pm
kajtzu

Wasn’t tomtom the company that defined “lifetime updates” as ... not-really-lifetime ones? Whistle

Post #216080713th Jul 2020 9:21 pm
Motolab

Another discussion maybe..

But... since IOS Updates, and therefore the satnav apps is/are also not Supported endless (4 or 5 years max) and i presume android is not very different in that respect, it is a NON discussion IMHO..
TOMTOM does support “lifetime” until now atleast 8 years in my experience...
By that time most of us have new (Satnav) devices...
 Best regards
Harold

Post #216080813th Jul 2020 9:30 pm
Bungle

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Really can only repeat what others have said. If you want a legitimate LR one then the last they produced was 2012. There are sites out there who produce later unofficial ones which are known to work fine in the majority of cases. This forum has rules that prohibit links to the sites as there is a good chance they are of dubious legality in terms of licensing of the map data.

However, frankly even with up to date map data the built in unit is pretty archaic. Buy a decent phone holder (Brodit ones are excellent in my view) and use Google maps, far superior.

Post #216081413th Jul 2020 10:12 pm
gareth71

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

FWIW... Tomtom's definition of "lifetime" in the context of updates and support isn't what you and I would think of as being "lifetime".

You might be forgiven for thinking that they mean 'as long as the device is still alive'. Nope. What they mean is 'the lifetime of the product as a current model' - so once the device is no longer current (which won't be that long, given the rate at which technology evolves) they don't want to know any more.

Post #216082013th Jul 2020 10:41 pm
Barnetman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Sat nav disc

Thanks for all the replys. I don't really want to start fitting screens from other models. I can use the fitted unit for most of the time,I do have a garmin sat nav that I could use if needed. I'm old school and can read maps probably not many of us these days. Also I don't use a mobile phone Exclamation Exclamation

Post #216085514th Jul 2020 8:21 am
Motolab

In that case: go to a LR dealer or LR parts supplier and buy the latest OEM disk.. if genuine is important to you... Thumbs Up
 Best regards
Harold

Post #216086014th Jul 2020 8:46 am
Lee Trinder

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Barnetman, I think I’m with you on this and wish the sat nav would work, but it’s just to out of date. I bought an upgraded disc that worked but the voice control stopped and so did the aux input, not that either of them are any good! It can get you out of the Censored tho, but it does look silly having a sat nav above your sat nav. Surely somebody clever can come up with a way of linking them, here’s hoping.

Post #216102114th Jul 2020 7:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >