Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Spotted

School Runners
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
School Runners

Driving past the rugby playing fields for a private school nearby, decided to count the 4x4s parked on both sides of the very narrow road.. 32. That's including 4 FFRRs, 6 Discovery 3s but no Sports Confused The rest were Cayenne Turbo S', X5s (naturally), MLs, Shoguns and the rest..
So, there's a figure the greens would love to use to make all of us who dare drive our Discovery's on the road out to be terrible people - but here's what they wouldn't incude: there were also 2 Porsche 911s, an Aston Martin DB9, many Chrysler Grand Voyagers, a Bentley Continental GT, a Bentley Flying Spur, some Powerful Mercs' (an SL and a CLK) and some big powerful estates too (some 535d Tourings).

So, just to put things in persepctive, it's not just the big powerful 4x4s on the school run...Evil or Very Mad

CY
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #1066443rd Dec 2006 12:22 pm
JMC

Scotland 

No, but they still have one common denominator.....

These spoilt little cherubs will never know the joy that is 'walking to school' or revel in the fresh morning air en-route whilst meeting new friends and seeing how 'other' kids live.

They will never understand that a scarf is actually for keeping warm rather than signifying a particular club allegiance

They won't learn the valuable life-lesson that is walking past neighbourhoods in the morning and seeing how other people rise and fall.

Worst of all, they will never know the freedom of picking-up the soap from the shower floor without checking over their shoulders first....... Laughing

Post #1066473rd Dec 2006 12:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CY

...and then the private coach came along and became sandwiched between a silver Range Rover vogue and a Merc E-class - subsequently blocking the whole road. We sat stationary for 7 minutes before the Merc driver (blonde with sun-glasses on despite the grey sky and mist) jumped in and moved her car into the actual car park..

I'm one of the most anti-green 4x4 people - I get soo frustrated and enfuriated by their claims about 4x4s, particularly Land Rovers, and all the bad press and media they are giving us. I also don't think anybody should feel bad about driving a modern 4x4 in town, in fact they should be proud. I think the whole anti-4x4 movement is just an excuse for the government to tax us from here to Mars and back - and from the Greens it's just a battle of the classes. But I hate seeing 32 4x4s sitting on the side of the road, perfectly clean and you just know that they're having their lives wasted away and they'll never hit the mud, they'll never be used for their proper reasons - hitting the dirty track - but what I do know is that people don't buy them for no reason - they do provide the PERFECT family cars, not all of them but definately the Discovery 3. So, there's my argument and view on the 4x4 mess..

CY

Post #1066593rd Dec 2006 1:14 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

When are you running for Parliament Question ......you'll definately get my vote [sod whatever party your representing].

ps. sorry mine looks so shiney on the photos....you should see it now .......
..... Java Brown!!

pps. need a soapbox by any chance?
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #1067273rd Dec 2006 8:45 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

Quote:

These spoilt little cherubs will never revel in the fresh morning air en-route .

But they can always open the window and get a blast of fresh air! Far more fun. Why walk when you can drive?
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #1067323rd Dec 2006 8:55 pm
CY

ronp wrote:
When are you running for Parliament Question ......you'll definately get my vote [sod whatever party your representing].

ps. sorry mine looks so shiney on the photos....you should see it now .......
..... Java Brown!!

Ronp, I do love those Stormers and the side step and chrome mirrors look great with the black paint!
As you'll notice from my gallery - "our" (my Uncle's) Discovery spends most of its life on long motorway jaunts or for transporting the family about at the weekends and holidays. Unfortunately it rarely makes it into the wilderness, but that's not to say its 4wd abilities havn't been put to use! LR Experience is booked for Christmas!

CY

Post #1073825th Dec 2006 11:50 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks CY...I've done the EXPERIENCE, you'll love it...I feel like booking again. Razz

Java Black
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #1073885th Dec 2006 11:58 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My daughter has started a new school this last term. She goes in by bus, so we rarely go to the school. Went to their first play the other day. The small car park had about ten D3s parked in it. And this was just parents of year 3 alone. It looked like a LR showroom. Most were TDV6 HSEs too.

Next time I go I may leave my off-road wheels, just so mine doesn't look like one of the wife's cars.
 Matt  
Post #1073896th Dec 2006 12:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

d3matt wrote:
Next time I go I may leave my off-road wheels, just so mine doesn't look like one of the wife's cars.

And what would they think of a set of four wheels standing there on their lonesome Wink

Post #1073926th Dec 2006 12:11 am
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

The entire urban anti-4x4 campaign can summed up by the blonde with sunglasses cliche (probably in a bloody black X5 parked on the pavement Twisted Evil ). It is acceptable in this PC land to slag off a blonde woman who appears to have some money and drive her kids to school. All self indulgent apologists will feel no guilt in attacking this woman. Insert any other racial or socioeconomic group and one can see how ill considered these comments are.

Yes we drive 4x4s. Yes most X5s are driven badly, onto pavements etc but a pure green, congestion charging crusade is just another version of the anti-hunting perceived class griping.

Right, I feel better now. Time to get back to designing my eco-house!

Post #1075696th Dec 2006 10:08 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

No, enough of 'turning the other cheek' - don't man the barricades, positive action is needed.... they want to hug trees - let 'em, preferably with the aid of a ratchet strap or two Evil or Very Mad
wanna save whales / seals / polar bears / green shield stamps? get a grip! species have evolved and become extinct long before man was on the scene (well, maybe RLD was there Wink ) never mind internal combustion engines
utter tw@ts the lot of 'em Mad
String a few up on westminster bridge, like they did in the good 'ol days, then see how many want to protest and leave bleedin stickers on yer car Evil or Very Mad
Strike back now, and strike HARD Twisted Evil

Post #1075726th Dec 2006 10:21 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Watching the London news tonight Twisted Evil I lost count in the first five minutes how many times words like, green, environmental, sustainable ecological and global warming were used ...it was almost a competition between the interviewees as to who could fit in the most Evil or Very Mad

I almost threw my coffee at it ...but then realised my coffee was fair trade grown on sustainable plantations, my milk was processed at an environmentally approved dairy..the greenies would be so happy.. but whats this NOOOOOO.....my sweetners were crafted in a factory in the Ukraine that pumps out 4 billion tons of co2 and the by product benzene that makes the local children walk backwards with their three legs.

Cant we send the greenies there Confused

I'm having a breakdown Crying or Very sad
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 6th Dec 2006 11:08 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #1075846th Dec 2006 11:01 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

dickgriff wrote:
I'm having a breakdown Crying or Very sad
get Mrs. DG to reboot you a few times.... if that doesn't work take a case of Desperado's and call LRA in the morning Wink

At least Kryten Dom has a USB port for upgrades Rolling Eyes

Post #1075886th Dec 2006 11:07 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

10forcash wrote:
get Mrs. DG to reboot you a few times....:

Now theres a plan Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #1075916th Dec 2006 11:16 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

dickgriff wrote:
10forcash wrote:
get Mrs. DG to reboot you a few times....:

Now theres a plan Very Happy

keep your S&M games to yourself, please Rolling Eyes
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone