Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Scorpion Verde All season v P-Zero
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Space Cadet

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Scorpion Verde All season v P-Zero

Apparently these are the only two Pirelli tyres with the speed and load rating for the D4, plus they’re both LR approved.

The All Seasons speak for themselves in that they’re “all season” but what are the P-Zero’s like all year round?

The D4 wont see any off-roading but I do live in the countryside therefore get lots of rain, mud and horse-muck on the roads plus the once a year when it snows un-cleared roads.

The P-Zeros’s will obviously be ‘better’ in the dry but according to the Pirelli site they will also be better in the wet, but not as good as the All Seasons in the snow….

I’m undecided…

(I’m only interested in Pirelli before anyone suggests other brands, thanks)

Post #192009128th Feb 2018 1:41 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Am using all seasons now but moved to Scotland and with the snow we currently have i am glad I did. All I would say is I have had two punctures on these. Didn’t have one with the zeros. But maybe bad luck or down the the massive pot holes up here ! Tyres seem ok, very quiet and I just couldn’t get hold of ATR’s in 19s so went with these.
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #192013028th Feb 2018 2:53 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Got 5 x ATRs from Oponeo, delivered from France, few weeks ago. Plus only 6 week old so nice fresh stock. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/pire...#181020622

OK, H speed rated but that's higher than the limited speed of the car and insurer happy with them. Just got to get them on their rims and on the car. Mr. Green

Post #192014128th Feb 2018 3:26 pm
Space Cadet

Mr Kington wrote:
Am using all seasons now but moved to Scotland and with the snow we currently have i am glad I did. All I would say is I have had two punctures on these. Didn’t have one with the zeros. But maybe bad luck or down the the massive pot holes up here ! Tyres seem ok, very quiet and I just couldn’t get hold of ATR’s in 19s so went with these.

Thanks James

How did you get on with the Zeros as all year round tyres, i.e. in the rain/cold/snow?

….I didn’t actually realise they were available in SUV sizes and were just for “Sports” cars.

Pirelli list the Zero’s as being better in the wet than the All Seasons, so I’m just wondering if actually for 95% of the time the Zeros may be better suited for me than the All Seasons??

The All Seasons would be better than the Zero’s though for the once a year when we get snow, are they any better though on the country roads? - If not then perhaps the Zeros are the better choice for me!?

Thanks again, Mark

Post #192015328th Feb 2018 3:57 pm
2Springers

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've run both and a set of GG AT as well.

I found the Zeros tramlined badly when they hit 5mm and the wear rate was appalling. I don't drive my D4 like a boy racer and the alignment has always been regularly checked on Hunter kit.

I think on balance the All Seasons have better handling, lower tyre noise and I have had no issues with wet or dry grip. I have not experienced problems with the sidewalls and have not had any punctures. They have covered now 23,000 miles - in extreme hot and cold temperatures and I haven't regretted fitting them. They have also performed well in the snow and ice we have had over the last few days.

Post #192033428th Feb 2018 9:38 pm
Space Cadet

Thanks mate, all good news to hear.

Post #192035428th Feb 2018 10:06 pm
2Springers

No problems - think tyre choice is such a personal thing.

If you are mainly on road the All Seasons are a good choice but the tread is less aggressive. Positives for me are less road noise, improved fuel economy (av 2 mpg more with these on), good grip and handling, and better wear.

But the downside is they would probably be less useful off road than the Scorpion Zero - lots of mud could certainly be a problem.

Good luck with what you choose - let us know !

Post #192036728th Feb 2018 10:34 pm
Space Cadet

Thanks, my question was All Seasons v P-Zero, rather than Scorpion Zero which they don’t do in my size anyway.

It’s all 100% on-road for me but as mentioned I do have to deal with lots of rain and mud etc. on the country roads therefore traditional road tyres I think would be a disadvantage over an “all season” tyre.

Pirelli list the P-Zero as being suitable for the D4 but it looks to be a summer road tyre, I was asking how they do all year round?

So do I go for P-Zeros which will be better obviously in the dry and possibly in the wet on normal roads but not as good in the cold or snow or muddy roads. Or do I go for the All-Seasons which won’t be as good in the dry or wet on normal roads, but much better in the cold or snow or muddy roads????

I know it’s a personal thing it’s just that I can’t make my mind up….!!!!

Post #19204891st Mar 2018 10:11 am
DSL

Ukraine 

I don't think I've heard of anyone using P-Zeros, as opposed to Scorp Zeros, on a D3 or D4. Confused

Post #19204921st Mar 2018 10:22 am
Bizbauer

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
Got 5 x ATRs from Oponeo, delivered from France, few weeks ago. Plus only 6 week old so nice fresh stock. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/pire...#181020622

OK, H speed rated but that's higher than the limited speed of the car and insurer happy with them. Just got to get them on their rims and on the car. Mr. Green

Love my ATRs!

Just got back from a trip to the shops in 6+ inch of snow and didn't they were perfect!
 '06 D3 TDV6 S Cairns Blue
Altox, D4 BT module
V8 Brake kit
Beanie Grille

'11 KTM 990SM-T
'01 Saab 9-5 Aero
Previous: '05 Freelander 1 HSE, Zambezi Silver
'97 Freelander 1.8, Black 

Post #19205121st Mar 2018 11:03 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Pirelli's best kept secret. Thumbs Up

Post #19205231st Mar 2018 11:32 am
Space Cadet

Thanks, P-Zeros are definitely listed as being suitable though, think they may have been fitted as standard to some LR Sport’s…?

Scorpion Zero’s are not available in W speed rating, whereas I have just found out they are in Y rating and have just posted a separate thread regarding whether its ok to fit a higher rated tyre?

So it’s P-Zero in W, Scorpion Verde All-Season in W, or Scorpion Zero in Y…..

Although according to Pirelli’s charts Scorpion Zeros are not as good in in the wet, comfort, or mileage as the Scorpion Verde All-Season, they’re the same in the dry though

Post #19205311st Mar 2018 11:49 am
2Springers

Right too many Zeros !

Personally for a good mainly on road biased tyre I would look at the All Seasons because i think they will do pretty much what you need without going the ATR route. I took advice from AJS before deciding and would always recommend those guys if they are local.

Post #19205701st Mar 2018 12:53 pm
Space Cadet

Thanks, I’ve gone cross-eyed tried to fathom out which is “best” for me.

At the end of the day the Scorpion Verde All Season seems to get good reviews, it comes in the LR recommended rating so no issues or future issues there, is an approved tyre and I’ve actually seen many LR cars wearing them.

….So I’ve ordered a set, should hopefully, weather permitting, get them fitted at the weekend.

Post #19205941st Mar 2018 1:28 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I've got them in 275x45x21 fitted when I bought the car and been on it from new, it was my intention to put some Wrangler 19's on for winter and keep 21's for summer. The previous owner appears to have been running them under pressure as the shoulders are worn much more than the centres(centres are like new), the only complaint so far has been aquaplaning at 70ish Shocked which may be caused by the worn shoulders and being slightly over pressure. No noise at all and they don't make the steering heavy like some M&S do.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #19206081st Mar 2018 1:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >